Sabres Trade the 11th pick to San Jose for 14th and 42nd Overall

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I didn’t “dig up” anything. I asked in good faith because we’ve talked about this many times. I’m sorry you don’t remember our conversations like I do? I’m legitimate interested in understanding peoples opinions

honestly I candidly find it sort of telling that “remembering other people’s viewpoints that they’ve painstakingly taken the time time derail” is seen as odd behaviour  

It depends on where you are in the draft. Top 5, no it almost never makes any sense to pick up an extra 2nd and move down. Drafting 1st overall and getting say pick 37 to move back to pick 4 or something doesn't make sense in my mind. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It depends on where you are in the draft. Top 5, no it almost never makes any sense to pick up an extra 2nd and move down. Drafting 1st overall and getting say pick 37 to move back to pick 4 or something doesn't make sense in my mind. 

Thanks for the follow up. Ya I’ve always questioned my pro-stance on reading down because you’ve disagreed with me in the past on it and i know you know more about the draft than me 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Thanks for the follow up. Ya I’ve always questioned my pro-stance on reading down because you’ve disagreed with me in the past on it and i know you know more about the draft than me 

TBH, I don't think I know more about the draft than anyone in particular. I just have more opinions about the draft, if that makes sense. 

57 minutes ago, SDS said:

I appreciate you thinking through this and not just firing out some tiresome snark.

Good comments from @dudacek, but Adams deserves every bit of snark thrown his way.  Outside of trading for Greenway he has not made a single trade or UFA signing that has improved the team.  Why should any fan trust his judgement at this point? Truthfully he has lost the benefit of the doubt.

I would have applauded this move 3 years ago.  In a vacuum I have zero issue with this trade, but given the current circumstances of this team, we need more roster upgrades, not more draft capital.  Unless and until he makes a substantive move to fix his failing NHL roster, he deserves the scorn of the fanbase.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yep.

Am hoping this move kills 2 birds - helps get an NHLer w/ the 2nd and gets them Jiricek. 

Is 14 too high to take him (expecting he'll be available)?

Most of what I’ve seen has him going in the middle of the round, so maybe a little high, but not out of line.

• Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They wouldn’t have made this deal if they were close to doing what we wanted: leveraging #11 into a good player.

To my mind it dims the hope for the type of trade we all want.

Interesting. 

Still see it as being possibly a precursor to another move where a prospect & a 2nd is a big part of the package.  Didn't Forton say they saw pretty much a large tier of ~6 - 14 (15?)?  If they see thise guys all having essentially the same value & likelihood to pan out AND they know they'll very likely trading a prospect then doesn't it make sense to still have essentially the same chance of replacing the prospect and get an extra 2nd?

okay I went and looked up Jiricek's draft profile on 3 places. Skating stride needs work, not enough knee bend, and pace of play was a criticism. Now having a knee injury, could come back with a far improved stride and maybe pace will pick up. That said, Michael Brandsegg-Nygård! lol, I am locked into this schtick now. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Interesting. 

Still see it as being possibly a precursor to another move where a prospect & a 2nd is a big part of the package.  Didn't Forton say they saw pretty much a large tier of ~6 - 14 (15?)?  If they see thise guys all having essentially the same value & likelihood to pan out AND they know they'll very likely trading a prospect then doesn't it make sense to still have essentially the same chance of replacing the prospect and get an extra 2nd?

Oh, for sure, still tons of ammo there. I’m just saying I think this makes it unlikely #11 was a key cog in any deal.

20 years ago we were giving up 2 2nds for Jochen Hecht. I’d be very happy with a deal like that.

Add a Savoie to 2 2nds and that’s more than enough for a good top 6 player. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

okay I went and looked up Jiricek's draft profile on 3 places. Skating stride needs work, not enough knee bend, and pace of play was a criticism. Now having a knee injury, could come back with a far improved stride and maybe pace will pick up. That said, Michael Brandsegg-Nygård! lol, I am locked into this schtick now. 

I'm on board with him, which he was a little bigger.  Guess, if he was bigger he's go earlier.......

Edited by CTJoe
  • Like (+1) 1

Since this is hearsay, I don’t think it deserves it on topic. I have a friend back home that plays men’s hockey and everyone always knows somebody.

The way the story was told to me was that this guy was telling stories in the locker room inside Adams offered Lindy an assistant position in January and he said no way. Then Granato was fired and Lindy eventually caved. However, it was on the condition that Adams go after three or four players that he thought the team needed. I wasn’t told who they were or if they were specific players or types of players. The impression was specific players. 

With that said, having more assets to bring in Lindys players fits in with this trade today.

FYI, I absolutely don’t care if you believe the above. I don’t even know if I believe the above. It is just a story that was relayed to me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

I feel another trade is coming. The Sabres are going to package a couple draft picks and a player for an established forward. Just my guess.

Has to be a move like that and since I assume many teams see a bunch of prospects all grouped together in that 6-15 range, it likely wouldn't be a huge deal moving back a few spots to pick up a 2nd round pick.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Since this is hearsay, I don’t think it deserves it on topic. I have a friend back home that plays men’s hockey and everyone always knows somebody.

The way the story was told to me was that this guy was telling stories in the locker room inside Adams offered Lindy an assistant position in January and he said no way. Then Granato was fired and Lindy eventually caved. However, it was on the condition that Adams go after three or four players that he thought the team needed. I wasn’t told who they were or if they were specific players or types of players. The impression was specific players. 

With that said, having more assets to bring in Lindys players fits in with this trade today.

FYI, I absolutely don’t care if you believe the above. I don’t even know if I believe the above. It is just a story that was relayed to me.

SDS, I was only kidding about Lindy building trade capital.

Your scaring me, 🤣