Sabres Trade the 11th pick to San Jose for 14th and 42nd Overall

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they want Eiserman at 11 to play with his friend Celebrini 

Good call, or it gives them a shot at one of the 6 D, which their pipeline clearly needs.

For the Sabres, makes sense if:

a) the guy they liked at 11 was going to be a “reach” (like Nygard)

b) if they needed a 2nd for another deal

c) if the sweet spot for a player they want (like Necas) is lower than 11

d) if they have a tier where their 11-14 guys are very close.

From what I’ve seen, at worst, one of Helenius, Yakemchuk, Catton, and Eiserman will be there  at 14.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

This is definitely a precursor trade; we have plans to make another deal but are looking to stretch are assets as much as possible.

Let's say Winnipeg wants a mid 1st for Ehlers; no reason we'd need to give them 11. 14 is more mid 1st. I could even see us deal further down and collect more 2nds in order to use those extras to make a separate trade.

And what does it mean for San Jose then?  It doesn't really look like any type of precursor there.  So they have someone targeted and they've now moved up very early and could potentially still miss out on that guy?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Good call, or it gives them a shot at one of the 6 D, which their pipeline clearly needs.

For the Sabres, makes sense if:

a) the guy they liked at 11 was going to be a “reach” (like Nygard)

b) if they needed a 2nd for another deal

c) if the sweet spot for a player they want (like Necas) is lower than 11

d) if they have a tier where their 11-14 guys are very close.

From what I’ve seen, at worst, one of Helenius, Yakemchuk, Catton, and Eiserman will be there  at 14.

I appreciate you thinking through this and not just firing out some tiresome snark.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, French Collection said:

So 14 is where you hope one of the “top 10” drop. You could get an Helenius, Eiserman, Sennecke, Yakemchuk or Brandsegg-Nygard. Or you could reach a bit for Jiricek, Stolberg, Beaudoin.

You aren’t wrong, but without any additional context 11 is a better place to wait hope for somebody dropping out of the top 10 than 14 is. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mango said:

You aren’t wrong, but without any additional context 11 is a better place to wait hope for somebody dropping out of the top 10 than 14 is. 

But you also get another swing at pick 42. If they don't trade anything (I just do not believe that at all now) then you moved from 11 to 14 but also get an extra swing in round two at pick 42. Who might drop to 42 and 43? Lots of options in that range if I am being truthful. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

This is definitely a precursor trade; we have plans to make another deal but are looking to stretch are assets as much as possible.

Let's say Winnipeg wants a mid 1st for Ehlers; no reason we'd need to give them 11. 14 is more mid 1st. I could even see us deal further down and collect more 2nds in order to use those extras to make a separate trade.

If Ehlers is traded, it will be for more than a 14th overall.

If he is traded, it will probably be to a team where he wants to play and a team that will extend him.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

Never thought it that way, but it makes sence, the 2nd as a sweetener. And a trade is better than a buyout. Let's hope you are right.

We don't need Prospects or more Draft picks. Getting more picks does nothing. We don't need any. No path to the Sabres for 10 years, we are young. This Group of Amerks, only maybe 4-5 will make Sabres next 3-4 years. Most will be Bottom 6 or Bottom Defense pairing

This Trade makes no sense. You move up maybe but not back. If a Vet is out there and a Team wants a Top 10 pick then you move up. Don't move back to make a Trade for a Veteran. If you are then I question the Veteran your getting is going to help.

• Like (+1) 2