Sabres Trade the 11th pick to San Jose for 14th and 42nd Overall

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Trade the 11th pick to San Jose for 14th and 42nd Overall
1 minute ago, shrader said:

I’m surprised that both teams don’t let the board shake out a bit before making this deal. 

This is definitely a precursor trade; we have plans to make another deal but are looking to stretch are assets as much as possible.

Let's say Winnipeg wants a mid 1st for Ehlers; no reason we'd need to give them 11. 14 is more mid 1st. I could even see us deal further down and collect more 2nds in order to use those extras to make a separate trade.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

I don't know how I feel about this. 

On one hand, there may not be a huge difference or much of a difference at all in the quality of the guy you get at 14 compared to 11. 

But on the other side, why take a chance... A second round pick sounds good, but, with the sabers pipeline the way it is and how long a guy you take in the second round is likely to take to reach the NHL... I don't see that pick.. If it's used... Bringing in a player that will make a significant impact on this team for a very very very long time if at all. 

Hopefully that second round pick was acquired because you need to use it to trade with another team for an existing player off their roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't know how I feel about this. 

On one hand, there may not be a huge difference or much of a difference at all in the quality of the guy you get at 14 compared to 11. 

But on the other side, why take a chance... A second round pick sounds good, but, with the sabers pipeline the way it is and how long a guy you take in the second round is likely to take to reach the NHL... I don't see that pick.. If it's used... Bringing in a player that will make a significant impact on this team for a very very very long time if at all. 

Hopefully that second round pick was acquired because you need to use it to trade with another team for an existing player off their roster.

I gotta believe (do I?) this is a precursor to something significant upcoming. On it's face, it makes no sense.

• Like (+1) 1