Would you want an AI Rick?

PASabreFan

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I absolutely believe it could. It would never not know who had the puck at any given time. It would most likely never not know who was on the ice at any given time. I think it would even come up with new stuff that would be “RJ like.”

I f’n hate AI. I think we are doomed.

I wish more people shared this sentiment. We’re going to be ***** in a lot of ways culturally and socially, if not in even more incomprehensible ways.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I absolutely believe it could. It would never not know who had the puck at any given time. It would most likely never not know who was on the ice at any given time. I think it would even come up with new stuff that would be “RJ like.”

I f’n hate AI. I think we are doomed.

EDIT: I started answering before I read the last line.😂

Individual words strung together would sound awful. But you could probably string together phrases that wouldn’t be to bad. I think you’d still be able to tell, though.

To be clear I was wondering if an audio person could give us Rick saying The Buffalo Sabres have won the Stanley Cup! You'd have him saying the Sabres won in many clips and I know he said The Dallas Stars have won the Stanley Cup.

There's a clip of Van saying The Buffalo Bills have won the Super Bowl! Alternate ending to SB 25. It sounds believable.

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Wonder what Rick would have thought? He was very techy and he had a healthy ego. Also wonder what Cupcake would say. It was reported she has many tapes of games going way back.

Which Rick should be AI-ed? I'd take 1983 Rick.

I'd much rather just debate our favourite era of Rick's calls and listen to actual recordings of the same.

They should never, ever AI RJ (or Darling, for that matter). And CBC shouldn't AI Bob Cole. And so on.

But they probably will. They almost certainly will. There was some headline I saw this week -- some famous artist commenting that the AI-ification of a deceased artist was shameful (or words to that effect). The artists were from two totally different genres. Like maybe it was Sheryl Crowe bemoaning a Tupac AI?

Some of who gets AI'd will depend on what kinds of rights deals each individual had signed off on.

21 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I would never want it to go that far. Not even sure AI could pull off Live AI Rick calling a game. I was thinking more along the lines of using AI to have a clip of Rick saying what we always wanted him to say. Unnecessary... Thorny already has it. And likely the Sabres.

Would you even need AI? Maybe Swamp could tell us if he could pull off the same feat if he had clips of Rick saying the individual words.

AI can't currently have Howard Cosell (sp?) call a MNF game. But give it a year or two. It will happen.

As for the neat stringing of audio clips together, that's just a more primitive version of what AI audio is doing. If you wanted to start out with original audio clips and string them together, I'm sure AI could be applied at some point in order to smooth out the finished product.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

To be clear I was wondering if an audio person could give us Rick saying The Buffalo Sabres have won the Stanley Cup! You'd have him saying the Sabres won in many clips and I know he said The Dallas Stars have won the Stanley Cup.

There's a clip of Van saying The Buffalo Bills have won the Super Bowl! Alternate ending to SB 25. It sounds believable.

I knew what you meant. It could definitely be done. I just think you would be able to tell. I actually think AI would do it better. oof.