Around the NHL: The 2024 Offseason

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is outstanding GM’ing by Doug Armstrong. The Oilers can put Evander Kane on LTIR, but they will only have the room to match one of them.

The compensation is a 2nd for Broberg and a 3rd for Holloway. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

And now this too.   Interesting day in hockey.

The NCAA has been heading towards this, Jeff Marek mentioned the last holdouts have been the head coaches.. 

This most likely expedients the process. 

The USHL most likely will be adversely impacted as the higher end college bound talent can chose the CHL. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I’d dismiss the suit immediately due to his first name. I would be an incredible judge, right?

I was legit like "You'd dismiss the complaint because the plaintiff's name is Ryan? ... Huh ... [looks again] OH DEAR GOD BURN THAT KID'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE."

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Would going from the CHL to NCAA to AHL be the new preferred pipeline for players?  How would the NHL teams facilitate this? Would throw a link into the 4 years and UFA carve out right now

if a college near Buffalo would be a temporary destination, which would get it?  Niagara?

Edited by triumph_communes

I’m glad someone had the guts to do this. 
If the old boys club doesn’t like it then remove it from the game.

This unwritten rule held back player salaries and movement. This adds excitement to the summer and a layer to contract negotiations. Oilers could lose two first round guys coming into their own for a 2nd and a 3rd.

I thought Holloway was good in the playoff run and will only get better.

How come no one offer sheets Krebs? LOL

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Would going from the CHL to NCAA to AHL be the new preferred pipeline for players?  How would the NHL teams facilitate this? Would throw a link into the 4 years and UFA carve out right now

if a college near Buffalo would be a temporary destination, which would get it?  Niagara?

It wouldn't change the draft rules with regards to free agency.  That's all set in stone the second you're drafted. 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Presuming the suit is successful, and in light of the ability of college players to get paid to a certain extent through the NIL framework; would expect at least 1 and possibly 2 things to change in the NHL - Junior/College agreements.  1.  As players could go interchangably from CHL - NCAA, would expect that in some way the NHL would sign a hybrid agreement with the NCAA so that players can sign with an NHL team (perhaps receiving deferred money as a signing bonus) when they're drafted similarly to what Junior players can currently do.  IF that happens, would expect 2. that NHL teams would only have 2 years to sign an NCAA player before he goes back into the draft.  

Expect that it might force the CHL to drop its demand that if an underager doesn't make an NHL squad that they automatically get the right of 1st refusal because the player would now presumably be able to skip to the NCAA (or even Canadian College but that seems like it would be a significant step down in quality of play) with no repercussions.

Would also expect that this will significantly hurt the USHL as college bound kids could presumably play in the better CHL if they're good enough to do so.  Wonder how (if at all appreciably) this would effect the lower European national leagues that on occassion lucked into players like Matthews going that route.

If the suit is successful, this could be almost as major as Kenny Linesman's legal wrangling that lowered the draft age to 18.  Am sure it will affect things in ways we aren't even contemplating at this particular moment.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I’m glad someone had the guts to do this. 
If the old boys club doesn’t like it then remove it from the game.

This unwritten rule held back player salaries and movement. This adds excitement to the summer and a layer to contract negotiations. Oilers could lose two first round guys coming into their own for a 2nd and a 3rd.

I thought Holloway was good in the playoff run and will only get better.

How come no one offer sheets Krebs? LOL

Yeah I love it, and 2 players at once.   Oilers really are up against the cap and they probably really lowballed them to make them both sign with the blues making it more juicy 🙂

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This is outstanding GM’ing by Doug Armstrong. The Oilers can put Evander Kane on LTIR, but they will only have the room to match one of them.

So the Blues gave away the third, they can’t sign Holloway then?

nm they dealt Ottawa’s 3rd, I see now 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Weave said:

so, Edmonton is in a pinch.  What non-core players do they have (that we want) that we might be able to get ultra cheap now?

Henrique and Arvidsson were just signed

As was Skinner

Corey Perry, Ceci and Kulak are all that’s left.

Kane can go on LTIR for a bit but still wouldn’t save both players.

My prediction would be Ceci and a pick to Anaheim for a cheaper pick

15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Oh look a GM who is actively trying to make his team better.  

• Like (+1) 3

21 hours ago, Weave said:

This is awesome. It could revolutionize college hockey, as well as the professional level. I don’t like what’s going on with football, but more exposure for hockey the better. This would be huge for the game. 

16 hours ago, shrader said:

It wouldn't change the draft rules with regards to free agency.  That's all set in stone the second you're drafted. 

I think draft rules would almost certainly be changed at the soonest CBA allow point possible. 

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would also expect that this will significantly hurt the USHL as college bound kids could presumably play in the better CHL if they're good enough to do so.  Wonder how (if at all appreciably) this would effect the lower European national leagues that on occassion lucked into players like Matthews going that route.

I’m not sure this is the case. USA Hockey still has incentives to keep the league strong as it’s the primary competition for the development team. I think there would be some shuffling of deck chairs, but without CHL expansion, which I don’t think is likely, there’s still a finite amount of roster spots up there. Also as hockey continues to grow in the Sunbelt, I think you’ll see more and more Americans preferring to play in the US than in Canada.