Around the NHL: The 2024 Offseason

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

It’s interesting that none of the trade names thrown around this offseason have moved: Necas, Ehlers, McGroaty, Zegras, Laine, Farabee.

The only one that really has to go seems to be Laine.

Last year at this time Karlsson hadn’t moved yet.  Petry and DeSmith are traded twice in August.  Smaller deals for Lafferty and Lyubushkin happen before the season starts.  The waiting game.

Here's the list for that article on ranking your front office (got it off the Bruins site).

Not surprising the cup winner is at the top. Toronto fans not so happy 🙂

The list:

1. Florida
2. Dallas
3. Tampa Bay
4. Utah
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Nashville
11. Vegas
12. Chicago
13. San Jose
14. Boston
15. Washington
16. Anaheim
17. New York Rangers
18. Calgary
19. Winnipeg
20. Philadelphia
21. Detroit
22. Ottawa
23. St Louis
24. Minnesota
25. Edmonton
26. Buffalo
27. Seattle
28. Columbus
29. Pittsburgh
30. Toronto
31. Los Angeles
32. New York Islanders

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Here's the list for that article on ranking your front office (got it off the Bruins site).

Not surprising the cup winner is at the top. Toronto fans not so happy 🙂

The list:

1. Florida
2. Dallas
3. Tampa Bay
4. Utah
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Nashville
11. Vegas
12. Chicago
13. San Jose
14. Boston
15. Washington
16. Anaheim
17. New York Rangers
18. Calgary
19. Winnipeg
20. Philadelphia
21. Detroit
22. Ottawa
23. St Louis
24. Minnesota
25. Edmonton
26. Buffalo
27. Seattle
28. Columbus
29. Pittsburgh
30. Toronto
31. Los Angeles
32. New York Islanders

I'd shift Ottawa down as well as Detroit, move up all up to Seattle up.

I'd say Buffalo has done just as well as Ottawa or Detroit at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s a list of fan frustration level with the current GM and relies heavily on where the franchise is relative to where the fan base expects it to be, flavoured by how long the GM has been around and his most recent moves.

Montreal isn’t highly ranked because of Hughes’ results, they’re highly ranked because they are early in their rebuild, the team was slightly better than expected last year despite serious injury woes, and the fans are very excited about Slavkovsky, Demidov and Hutson becoming stars.

Boston is mid-pack because they’ve been a contender for so long without breaking through, Sweeney hasn’t been able to put them over the top. Signs of regression last year are offset by Lindholm and Zadorov.

Ottawa probably would have been last a few months ago but firing Dorion and the Ullmark trade started turning the tide.

Buffalo was 8th last year because they’d just gone from dead last to 91 points in 2 years and they appeared loaded with breakthrough talent.

They would have been right at the bottom in the spring because regression across the board in the wake of 13 years made fans feel absolutely betrayed. Their off-season, particularly Ruff, has helped Adams, but the fan base is very wary, but he’s on a short lease.

Fans get that it’s a cycle, it’s where you are in the cycle and how well you can sell the hopium.

Edited by dudacek

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd shift Ottawa down as well as Detroit, move up all up to Seattle up.

I'd say Buffalo has done just as well as Ottawa or Detroit at this point.

Probably, although we've been at it longer so we actually should be better but none of them have achieved what their fanbases want. I suspect the expectation in Ottawa and Detroit is higher as a whole. Detroit expected to be Tampa by now and they are not as pumped about Stevie Y as they were when he first got there. Ottawa idk, they shoot themselves in the foot a lot. Constantly trying to make big moves, but most of them fail miserably. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Probably, although we've been at it longer so we actually should be better but none of them have achieved what their fanbases want. I suspect the expectation in Ottawa and Detroit is higher as a whole. Detroit expected to be Tampa by now and they are not as pumped about Stevie Y as they were when he first got there. Ottawa idk, they shoot themselves in the foot a lot. Constantly trying to make big moves, but most of them fail miserably. 

Stevie Y has been the gm for Detroit longer than KA has been. 

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Probably the same way it worked with Thornton and Marleau in SJ.

Frankly feels underhanded and disrespectful to be honest.

It's not like Tavares has 5 more years on his contract nor does the C give anyone any special perks. Seems like a slap in the face for Tavares who literally made himself the enemy of an entire fanbase to go home and lead them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

It's not like Tavares has 5 more years on his contract nor does the C give anyone any special perks. Seems like a slap in the face for Tavares who literally made himself the enemy of an entire fanbase to go home and lead them.

I wouldn't say underhanded. Most likely they have asked him to waive his no trade (either last year or in the off season) and he has refused and thus he and management have fallen out. He was Dubas' signing remember and the current management sees him as an albatross. 

I guess you always have to ask how much "loyalty" do you have to have to any signing as time goes by. Personally I wish NTCs didn't exist. It would be more fun for us with more deals. 

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The only winner in the entire scenario was Butch Goring as it led directly to his #91 being retired (which in all honesty he did really deserve as the final piece of the dynasty).

• Like (+1) 1