Around the NHL: The 2024 Offseason

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

So the Caps are over $13 million over the cap.

Backstrom and his $9.2 million probably goes on LTIR but another move has to be made there

I was away for all of the free agent signings. Just catching up now. The Sabres just got harder to play against due to the bottom 6 signings.

They still need a 3C in my opinion. 
Cap Friendly is no longer an option but there are other teams in the same boat after yesterday. Something good can shake loose. It feels like I’ve been saying this for years but KA has to weaponize the cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/1/2024 at 7:28 PM, Flashsabre said:

So the Caps are over $13 million over the cap.

Backstrom and his $9.2 million probably goes on LTIR but another move has to be made there

I was looking at that and wondering if they have another vet, specifically Wilson, Carlson, or Oshie, who they know is headed to LTIR.  Other than those three, and assuming Ovie isn't injured, the only player they have that they can move to get under is Strome.  

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Congrats to her.

I worry and know they will milk this until the cow is dry instead of just ya know, normalizing it. People won't care if it isn't shoved in their face every 5 minutes and that would mean she could just do her job, do well hopefully and just become another member of the coaching society.

• Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, Weave said:

Why does it seem like this is deja vu?  Didn’t a team hire a female coach last season?  Or am I hallucinating again?

Well - I feel like the Kraken announcement regarding this female coach was made 4-6 weeks ago ... now it's being made again?

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

It appears that 4-6 weeks ago, there were reports saying she was likely to be hired by Bylsma as an assistant coach. Now it's happened.

Ok, not hallucinating.  4-6 wks ago was last season.

Now if only we’d stop talking about it so noone gets triggered.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Ok, not hallucinating.  4-6 wks ago was last season.

Now if only we’d stop talking about it so noone gets triggered.

I'm not angry about the hire; she's supposedly a good coach.

I just don't want every freaking Kraken broadcast on national media and every road crew announcer to bring it up 10 times a game. 

Plus then I won't need to see the endless complaints on Twitter 🙂

19 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm not angry about the hire; she's supposedly a good coach.

I just don't want every freaking Kraken broadcast on national media and every road crew announcer to bring it up 10 times a game. 

Plus then I won't need to see the endless complaints on Twitter 🙂

It’s every bit as historic as Jacky Robinson. Or Alex Mogilny.  They SHOULD be bringing it up frequently.

When the 2nd female coach gets hired, if they are still bringing it up constantly maybe, maybe there is a complaint to be had.

Maybe.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

It’s every bit as historic as Jacky Robinson. Or Alex Mogilny.  They SHOULD be bringing it up frequently.

When the 2nd female coach gets hired, if they are still bringing it up constantly maybe, maybe there is a complaint to be had.

Maybe.

I don’t think it belongs in the discussion with those two. This is not going to change the sport. 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Maybe.

Why though, the more you push a topic like that the more backlash you’ll find. I’m not saying to ignore the fact but don’t make her out to be any different than any other coach.

The idea, is at the end of the day the best way to help her is to not treat her differently. 

Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier and do you know why most normal people eventually stopped being racist in the particular situation? He proved to all those watching that not only did he belong but that he was damn good at it too. He was no longer the black baseball player, he was just the baseball player. That’s part of why society is so fractured and factionalized now. Instead of finding the commonalities and absorbing new things; we instead target differences blow them up in the social sphere and then draw lines. Even worse now, some feel that due to their “specialness” they should be inherently praised.

Should she be celebrated for being the 1st sure, but it shouldn’t be the reason she is praised or made special. Her womanhood isn’t what made her an NHL assistant coach, her talents did. I don’t need to know she’s a woman, I want to know what she does at an NHL coaching level to get the job and one day potentially reach the head coaching job. 

In the end working to make the average fan agreeable with it is far more important than trying to magically convert a full blown sexist; because by targeting the extreme stance you over shoot the general audience and create agitation in the process. Imagine learning addition and subtraction in grade school but then every year afterward you continue to be retaught adding and subtraction in the same manner. 2+2=4 etc. Even in Calculus II your professor explains the process of 2+2=4. It goes from helpful, to useful reminder, to agitating rehashing very quick.

Edited by thewookie1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Why though, the more you push a topic like that the more backlash you’ll find. I’m not saying to ignore the fact but don’t make her out to be any different than any other coach.

The idea, is at the end of the day the best way to help her is to not treat her differently. 

Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier and do you know why most normal people eventually stopped being racist in the particular situation? He proved to all those watching that not only did he belong but that he was damn good at it too. He was no longer the black baseball player, he was just the baseball player. That’s part of why society is so fractured and factionalized now. Instead of finding the commonalities and absorbing new things; we instead target differences blow them up in the social sphere and then draw lines. Even worse now, some feel that due to their “specialness” they should be inherently praised.

Should she be celebrated for being the 1st sure, but it shouldn’t be the reason she is praised or made special. Her womanhood isn’t what made her an NHL assistant coach, her talents did. I don’t need to know she’s a woman, I want to know what she does at an NHL coaching level to get the job and one day potentially reach the head coaching job. 

In the end working to make the average fan agreeable with it is far more important than trying to magically convert a full blown sexist; because by targeting the extreme stance you over shoot the general audience and create agitation in the process. Imagine learning addition and subtraction in grade school but then every year afterward you continue to be retaught adding and subtraction in the same manner. 2+2=4 etc. Even in Calculus II your professor explains the process of 2+2=4. It goes from helpful, to useful reminder, to agitating rehashing very quick.

Do you think Jacky Robinson was talked about in evey game he played at first?  Again, it’s historically significant.  Ignoring it is to ignore history being made.

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

Women aren’t going to be all over the nhl now or ever. Right off the bat, they cannot fill the most seen rolls omin the game, those on the ice. 

I’m not sure how that is relevant.  Women can’t compete physically on the ice.  Lots of folks that couldn’t compete on the ice managed to be excellent coaches.  This is the first time one happens to be female.

42 minutes ago, Weave said:

Do you think Jacky Robinson was talked about in evey game he played at first?  Again, it’s historically significant.  Ignoring it is to ignore history being made.

I’m not sure how that is relevant.  Women can’t compete physically on the ice.  Lots of folks that couldn’t compete on the ice managed to be excellent coaches.  This is the first time one happens to be female.

And no one remembers the coaches. 

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm not angry about the hire; 

What an odd thing to say.

I hope she gets plenty of coverage. She’s too thin to be @inkman‘s type, but she could put me through a bag skate any day of the week.

Jessica-Campbell-1.jpg

(lol - just kidding. I’d die if I had to do even the lamest, easiest bag skate.)

(also, please don’t cancel me for finding her attractive.) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

What an odd thing to say.

I hope she gets plenty of coverage. She’s too thin to be @inkman‘s type, but she could put me through a bag skate any day of the week.

Jessica-Campbell-1.jpg

(lol - just kidding. I’d die if I had to do even the lamest, easiest bag skate.)

(also, please don’t cancel me for finding her attractive.) 

She’s no Mike Peca but she is quite prety.  Hopefully, the notorious scumbag womanizing players can keep it in their pants while she’s coaching them up.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

She’s no Mike Peca but she is quite prety.  Hopefully, the notorious scumbag womanizing players can keep it in their pants while she’s coaching them up.   

I’m looking at you Jeff Carter, thankfully he’s in Pittsburgh/ retired

This is certainly not the place to post this but I was randomly looking at team stats and needed to share. This has to be the lowest leading scoring for a full season. I also liked seeing Soupy and Boyes on there.

Screenshot_20240704_110807_Chrome.thumb.jpg.81a197a2c8ead8066f3ceb49e1836e58.jpg

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Necas is all offense little defense, he’d just be a taller and faster version of Skinner making nearly the same money.

I completely agree with you here.  I wanted a Pinto type.  But at this point we need a clear cut option.