Around the NHL: The 2024 Offseason

9 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Sway is an RFA who has played 4 seasons, maxed out at 43 starts, with a Jennings and 7th in Vezina voting under his belt. Ten million is a lot. 

He can ASK for anything.

Can't see Jacobs putting him anywhere close to Bobrovsky territory.

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Sway is an RFA who has played 4 seasons, maxed out at 43 starts, with a Jennings and 7th in Vezina voting under his belt. Ten million is a lot. 

Anchorage boy. Things are more expensive up here and momma has a lifestyle to maintain. He's gonna get paid but not $10M a year. At least not yet.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anaheim Ducks games will be broadcast over the air free and streamed free in SoCal.

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-announce-partnerships-with-victory-kcop-channel-13-to-televise-all-regional-games-for-free

I have ESPN +, but local Duck games are subject to blackout.  The regional sports package (Lakers/Kings/Dodgers/etc) was costing $16/month with Direct TV.   I was easily paying $120-$150/month with the Sunday ticket, Centre Ice and the regional sports fees.  After the NFL moved to Yahoo, I changed how I access everything.  Which meant no local sports.  What’s interesting is that with all the cord cutting, the Ducks (and others - Dallas and Florida) are forced to sign less lucrative deals in hopes of expanding their market by offering free access.  Should be an interesting experiment.  

8 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

What’s interesting is that with all the cord cutting, the Ducks (and others - Dallas and Florida) are forced to sign less lucrative deals in hopes of expanding their market by offering free access.

Huh, I had no idea; I thought the Stars would still be on Bally.  I guess I need to line up Victory+ to watch them play in Buffalo.

If he NHL had a brain, they would end regional blackouts, put everything on ESPN+ and sell ads regionally by IP address. What I am saying is the future of live sports is streaming and Disney, Netflix, Paramount, and idk whoever else HBO-Max? will be the providers. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sabres built their original fanbase with free tv broadcasts. They might not make a lot of money from this now, but maybe lots of kids watch free and they build a fanbase the same way. 

You can't compare those days, when there was a only a handful of channels, to today's limitless media landscape.

If you want kids to watch maybe broadcast games over Twitch or Tik Tok 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You can't compare those days, when there was a only a handful of channels, to today's limitless media landscape.

If you want kids to watch maybe broadcast games over Twitch or Rik Tok 

I know things have changed, I'm not an idiot (well, not a TOTAL idiot) but I still think offering up free stuff increases your chances of growing a fanbase.

I'm sure it's not their ideal option, but it could still work. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know things have changed, I'm not an idiot (well, not a TOTAL idiot) but I still think offering up free stuff increases your chances of growing a fanbase.

I'm sure it's not their ideal option, but it could still work. 

One thing putting Sabres games on free over-the-air TV would do is allow viewers in Southern Ontario to see Sabres games. I'm not sure the Leafs could block games on local cable if they are on a regular TV channel. They definitely can't block the TV signals.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

One thing putting Sabres games on free over-the-air TV would do is allow viewers in Southern Ontario to see Sabres games. I'm not sure the Leafs could block games on local cable if they are on a regular TV channel. They definitely can't block the TV signals.

That's how I became a Sabres fan. Good old channel 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unsubstantiated rumor of an accident killing a well known NHL player going around this evening.

I'm seeing that too. Troublesome that no information has come out yet.

Ah jesus what a blow, 2 brothers together at once.

The driver of the vehicle "is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash," police said, according to ABC.

Edited by Huckleberry