Around the NHL: The 2024 Offseason

I like what Grier is doing to unwrap the Sharks from their 15-year run with the old core.

On the Cheveldayoff front, I can't say he's done a great or poor job, but he's had one thing the Sabres haven't had since 2011 (Chevy hire date/Pegula purchase date): stability.

For the last nine seasons, the Jets have had this little guy named Hellebuyck whose career average is .917 and has led the league in GP 4 times in those years, and paced for over 60 starts in each of the last 7 seasons. Since Pegula bought the team, the Sabres have had stretches of competent goaltending, often completely undone by backups (Comrie), or goalie-injury (Ullmark), or simply trading the goalie away because he was threatening the tank or draft lottery odds (Miller, Enroth, passing-through Halak).

And the Jets have had one GM (4 coaches) in that time compared to the Pegula churn of 4 GMs, 7 coaches, sanctioned/forced tanking by ownership, and then operating by EEE and way under the salary cap each of the last four seasons.

Comparing Chevy's run to Adams is kind of apples/oranges. Though I would argue it comes down to NHL-level goaltender decisions, which Adams has been abysmal at (until now?...).

Excellent move by San Jose. Total rebuild and they now have their cornerstones. A young goalie who could potentially develop into a comparable with the current Russian stud goalies along with the big #1 overall star to be. Foundational pieces in place with time to grow and develop. Excellent move for them. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Excellent move by San Jose. Total rebuild and they now have their cornerstones. A young goalie who could potentially develop into a comparable with the current Russian stud goalies along with the big #1 overall star to be. Foundational pieces in place with time to grow and develop. Excellent move for them. 

Who would you rather have?

• Thompson
  • Cozens 
  • Quinn
  • Dahlin
  • Power
  • Levi

Or

• Celebrini
  • Smith
  • Eklund
  • Dickinson
  • Ferraro
  • Askarov
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

• Thompson
  • Cozens 
  • Quinn
  • Dahlin
  • Power
  • Levi

Or

• Celebrini
  • Smith
  • Eklund
  • Dickinson
  • Ferraro
  • Askarov

Celebrin, Smith, don’t know enough to compare, Dahlin, don’t know enough to compare but guessing Power, Askarov. 

Edited by #freejame

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

• Thompson
  • Cozens 
  • Quinn
  • Dahlin
  • Power
  • Levi

Or

• Celebrini
  • Smith
  • Eklund
  • Dickinson
  • Ferraro
  • Askarov

lol, I would rather support a team that makes the playoffs rather than collects shiny new toys.

They are just starting their rebuild. Much like when we drafted Eichel. Now if Askarov turns out to be a nutcase like Lehner, well then you might have an argument. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

lol, I would rather support a team that makes the playoffs rather than collects shiny new toys.

They are just starting their rebuild. Much like when we drafted Eichel. Now if Askarov turns out to be a nutcase like Lehner, well then you might have an argument. 

I'm not arguing anything. I was genuinely curious as to which group you preferred.

Just now, dudacek said:

I'm not arguing anything. I was genuinely curious as to which group you preferred.

It's too early to assess what they have but I will say this, if Ruff cannot turn this group around and make them into winners then I would in fact rather start over with a clean slate, Celebrini and Askarov and build from there. 

I'm not convinced what we have is anything, until it is in fact something. 

13 years. Show me. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

• Thompson
  • Cozens 
  • Quinn
  • Dahlin
  • Power
  • Levi

Or

• Celebrini
  • Smith
  • Eklund
  • Dickinson
  • Ferraro
  • Askarov

I don't care, we had that Eichel team too, I will go with the sabres line up because its what we got. 

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

• Thompson
  • Cozens 
  • Quinn
  • Dahlin
  • Power
  • Levi

Or

• Celebrini
  • Smith
  • Eklund
  • Dickinson
  • Ferraro
  • Askarov

Gat damn.  A half a dozen years ago we were posed the question would you rather have our core or Toronto’s core.  Now we have a new core that still has questions around it.

Happy Minnesota Wild GIF by NHL

20 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/los-angeles-kings-sign-goaltender-erik-portillo-to-three-year-entry-level-contract-1.2165796

can someone explain this to me. He had to be signed already by LA. Did they mean a 3 year extension?

I think an intern is getting fired. It also says the kings drafted him. 

Edited by shrader

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I didn’t even notice that. I was too confused by the article already at that point.😁 Yeah someone messed up a basic assignment here.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Either that or getting invited to become a politician's PR director.  What, you can't get basic facts right, well, then put this out PRONTO.  😉 

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I didn’t even notice that. I was too confused by the article already at that point.😁 Yeah someone messed up a basic assignment here.

I’m too lazy to check but I’m sure it’s edited by now. Get it out fast, fact check later. 

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

This is a very true thing. Part of that issue when you think of Hudson Fasching types is we keep changing GMs, changing plans, and turning over the bottom end of the roster. We are all (or mostly all) happy with how they've rebuilt the bottom 6 this year but the type of players we were lacking in this area have all been on the roster before. For example Ruff wanted a guy who could chuck 'em, and we had one of the best in DesLauriers. We want a tough D man we had McNabb, McCabe even, We broke Risto of course as well. We had Zadorov. We've had a lot of the guys we needed later. Fasching isn't a great player, but he does seem to fill a hole on their roster doesn't he. 

My point is that we as a team have never valued these bottom 6 guys and never developed them to fill those roles. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is a very true thing. Part of that issue when you think of Hudson Fasching types is we keep changing GMs, changing plans, and turning over the bottom end of the roster. We are all (or mostly all) happy with how they've rebuilt the bottom 6 this year but the type of players we were lacking in this area have all been on the roster before. For example Ruff wanted a guy who could chuck 'em, and we had one of the best in DesLauriers. We want a tough D man we had McNabb, McCabe even, We broke Risto of course as well. We had Zadorov. We've had a lot of the guys we needed later. Fasching isn't a great player, but he does seem to fill a hole on their roster doesn't he. 

My point is that we as a team have never valued these bottom 6 guys and never developed them to fill those roles. 

It's not so much that they haven't been valued.  It's more of a case IMHO that successive GMs have had significantly different ideas of how a team should be built (and accordingly have typically valued different styles of players than his predecessor valued).  The guys that are least likely to be kept around in that scenario are the guys at the bottom of the food chain (all of those F's, some of those D) and the ones that can't play the style the new GM wants or the guys that don't want to be there (either or both categories cover the rest of the D).

Wadr, your point is pretty much contradicted by what you wrote above.  It's not that the roles have never been valued.  They have been valued.  Heck, on the past 3 teams 2 of the 2 or 3 captains (depending upon season) came from that pool of role players.  But they've changed what they're looking for in that role every 4 years at the latest and more like every 2-3 realistically.

You are never going to get out of the hole you're in if you start redigging what you've just managed to fill in.  

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

It's not so much that they haven't been valued.  It's more of a case IMHO that successive GMs have had significantly different ideas of how a team should be built (and accordingly have typically valued different styles of players than his predecessor valued).  The guys that are least likely to be kept around in that scenario are the guys at the bottom of the food chain (all of those F's, some of those D) and the ones that can't play the style the new GM wants or the guys that don't want to be there (either or both categories cover the rest of the D).

Wadr, your point is pretty much contradicted by what you wrote above.  It's not that the roles have never been valued.  They have been valued.  Heck, on the past 3 teams 2 of the 2 or 3 captains (depending upon season) came from that pool of role players.  But they've changed what they're looking for in that role every 4 years at the latest and more like every 2-3 realistically.

You are never going to get out of the hole you're in if you start redigging what you've just managed to fill in.  

Well if you look at my whole post I did say that. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well if you look at my whole post I did say that. 

Yes, and that was the point of saying "Wadr, your point is pretty much contradicted by what you wrote above."  

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yes, and that was the point of saying "Wadr, your point is pretty much contradicted by what you wrote above."  

You may have read it that way but it's not really contradictory. The various GMs have turned over the bottom 6 because they didn't value them and their roles. The emphasis for this team has always been (since Pegula took over) star power up front and puck moving D men. Everything else is an afterthought and has been a mess. 

Goaltending wasn't prioritized either. imo it's a flawed methodology that is only being recognized now (maybe).