Around the NHL: The 2024 Offseason

12 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

Oh, McGroarty as their 2C and McKenna as 1C.

I think both are wingers. Mckenna is as a WHL player.

And I don’t think the Pens can have that much draft luck😁

To think the Pens have drafted Mario, Jagr, Sid and Malkin

and the Oilers got Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, McDavid, Leon

Two franchises blessed with some of the best players ever (and I’m not putting Leon and Malkin on the level with the others but superstars that partnered with the best players in the game)

Edited by Flashsabre

28 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I think both are wingers. Mckenna is as a WHL player.

And I don’t think the Pens can have that much draft luck😁

To think the Pens have drafted Mario, Jagr, Sid and Malkin

and the Oilers got Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, McDavid, Leon

Two franchises blessed with some of the best players ever (and I’m not putting Leon and Malkin on the level with the others but superstars that partnered with the best players in the game)

Thanks, I never even bothered to check McKennas position, just took for granted he played center, as the players he is compared to.

And I really hope Penguins not win the lottery, it is someone elses turn now.

McG for Yager is the Pens looking for a player that is ready to play now and not one or two years down the road and Chevy showing he can make excellent deals when people are saying he's backed into a corner.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

McG for Yager is the Pens looking for a player that is ready to play now and not one or two years down the road and Chevy showing he can make excellent deals when people are saying he's backed into a corner.

Are Winnipeg fans happy with the deal? Yager is a Western Canadian kid so he’ll fit well in Winnipeg.

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

It feels like I've been reading stuff like this from Winnipeg fans for years, without ever seeing them move past the pretender stage.

I'll be more impressed when I start seeing him wrack up some playoff wins.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Are Winnipeg fans happy with the deal? Yager is a Western Canadian kid so he’ll fit well in Winnipeg.

Most fans are happy with the deal.

I'm of the opinion that if you don't want to be here, see ya.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

It feels like I've been reading stuff like this from Winnipeg fans for years, without ever seeing them move past the pretender stage.

I'll be more impressed when I start seeing him wrack up some playoff wins.

You are legitimately a superhero. SuperSabresman. If faster than, and unaffected by speeding bullets, how could the contrast between making the playoffs 7 times (and a conference final once) and our 13 years of missed playoffs, over the duration of the time period that the Jets have returned to Winnipeg, phase you at all?

Living here, being witness to it, I can’t tell you what I would give to switch up on fortunes, even just a little. To be part of a frenzied playoff craze, even if just for a couple weeks..I’m broken, or you’ve forgotten, or both

Or, more likely, you are SuperSabresman. Take off those nerdy glasses, you aren’t fooling anyone 

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, Ducky said:

When you are in a market like Winnipeg or Buffalo, you have to show some excellence of expertise *just* to field a perennial playoff contender. Some prefer to sit and cry about it, woe is me. Using it as an excuse to defend 24th place finishes every year. Other franchises realize there’s only 32 jobs in the world with the power to shape an NHL team into a contender, and there’s no excuse for not employing the person who’ll find success 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

When you are in a market like Winnipeg or Buffalo, you have to show some excellence of expertise *just* to field a perennial playoff contender. Some prefer to sit and cry about it, woe is me. Using it as an excuse to defend 24th place finishes every year. Other franchises realize there’s only 32 jobs in the world with the power to shape an NHL team into a contender, and there’s no excuse for not employing the person who’ll find success 

Be careful Thorny. You are very close to stepping into a big steaming pile of painful truth with statements like that. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

You are legitimately a superhero. SuperSabresman. If faster than, and unaffected by speeding bullets, how could the contrast between making the playoffs 7 times (and a conference final once) and our 13 years of missed playoffs, over the duration of the time period that the Jets have returned to Winnipeg, phase you at all?

Living here, being witness to it, I can’t tell you what I would give to switch up on fortunes, even just a little. To be part of a frenzied playoff craze, even if just for a couple weeks..I’m broken, or you’ve forgotten, or both

Or, more likely, you are SuperSabresman. Take off those nerdy glasses, you aren’t fooling anyone 

You think it’s remarkable to have general hockey opinions that aren’t filtered through 13 years of Sabres ineptitude?

Thats kinda surprising to me

19 hours ago, Ducky said:

Craig Rivet apparently has coached against McGroarty for years and says he’s one of the most entitled kids he’s ever come across.

Sounds like if Chevy did his homework he might have avoided this situation entirely.

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Craig Rivet apparently has coached against McGroarty for years and says he’s one of the most entitled kids he’s ever come across.

Sounds like if Chevy did his homework he might have avoided this situation entirely.

Yager is a good kid and player. I think Winnipeg will have come out ahead in this deal when all is said and done.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

You think it’s remarkable to have general hockey opinions that aren’t filtered through 13 years of Sabres ineptitude?

Thats kinda surprising to me

No, I frankly think it’s remarkable that you can’t see that your experience with the Sabres provides a blinding explanation to your questioning of the Chevy praise, that staring you right in the face.

You are asking to see more success from the Jets before detailing Chevy’s moves as excellent, and what I’m telling you is that our experience with the Sabres has shown us that the sort of “excellence” he’s displaying is DEMONSTRABLY evidenced by the fact they’ve made the playoffs 7 times within a market situation perceived to be as bad or likely worse than ours. You seem to have an appreciation of the difficulty of KA’s task while not equally attributing those difficulties to another team.

We don’t need the type of work Adams is providing. The type of aptitude Adams is attacking the roster with, that you continually find a way to construe as “not actually that bad” leads to 24th place, and that to get to our goal of making the playoffs, we do indeed need a level of excellence. At least, from time to time. The shocking contrast is their ability to do it 7 times and us not at all shows that we are *settling* for ineptitude, as fans, rather than acknowledging, when there are only 32 jobs, anything less than the excellence required to make the playoffs even once is simply unacceptable.

Because it’s out there if we want it: everyone else has found it. 

You write a lot about baseline competence,

To me, that’s what Chevaldayoff has shown.

It ain’t excellence and comparing it to the Sabres incompetence doesn’t change that.

(It’s like we’ve switched accounts 😁)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I was just coming to post this! Really great for San Jose, Askarov looks like the real deal, and if he is, they trip to the bottom will be really short lived

Wonder what Nashville got here, a goalie, and a goalie that wanted to be traded, interested in the value they got

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So Nashville acquiesced to Askarov's ask to get traded rather than sent back to the A once again.  Wonder what they get back in return.  Figure a 1st has to be a significant portion of that package, right?

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So Nashville acquiesced to Askarov's ask to get traded rather than sent back to the A once again.  Wonder what they get back in return.  Figure a 1st has to be a significant portion of that package, right?

My guess is a prospect and the Vegas' 1st

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We’ve all seen that these young cores don’t mean much unless those crucial steps are taken to surround them with successful veteran talent to lead the way. Let’s see what Grier and co. Can do to build up the Sharks.