Around the NHL: The 2024 Offseason

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

MTL gets Laine and a 2nd rounder? I don't know anything about Jordan Harris but if Laine can get back to form that seems like a great trade for MTL.

And if not, you are stuck with his 8.7mil dollar deal this year and next. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And if not, you are stuck with his 8.7mil dollar deal this year and next. 

If Price stays BF-LTIR, they'll still have a ton of space both years regardless what other moves they make.

And doubt they expect to be actually good either year.  Better, yes.  Good, probably not.

Roster-wise, Montreal is in a pretty good position to put Laine in a position to succeed and it doesn't really cost them anything but money.

I like this deal for both teams.

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

That’s a trade that tells you there wasn’t much serious interest out there. And I get it, the question marks are very big. 

They paid a 2nd to get rid of him with no retention.

Sort of like the Eichel trade in they were trying to move a star player who is damaged goods in his current state and don’t want to retain on a big salary. Eichel trade worked out for Vegas. Have to see how Laine does in Montreal.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Sort of like the Eichel trade in they were trying to move a star player who is damaged goods in his current state and don’t want to retain on a big salary. Eichel trade worked out for Vegas. Have to see how Laine does in Montreal.

These trades aren't even remotely comparable. Laine isn't a star player and hasn't been even close to one in years. 

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Sort of like the Eichel trade? Buffalo got a proven 20 goal scorer, a valued prospect, a first round pick, and a second round pick. Just about the only similarity is that they did have to include a 3rd round pick along with him. 

54 minutes ago, shrader said:

Sort of like the Eichel trade? Buffalo got a proven 20 goal scorer, a valued prospect, a first round pick, and a second round pick. Just about the only similarity is that they did have to include a 3rd round pick along with him. 

The only thing of value we got out of the trade was the 20 goal scorer who appears to be even more "damaged goods" than the "damaged goods" we acquired him for.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

These trades aren't even remotely comparable. Laine isn't a star player and hasn't been even close to one in years. 

He is payed like a star.

I wasn’t comparing the returns. I was comparing two players that were getting paid a lot of money, were damaged goods at the time of the trade and the team moving them didn’t want to retain any salary.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The "we agree not to match if you give us" trade:

Love this. Good move by Edmonton to at least get a little more for losing the players.  Not that the 2028 3rd round pick matters and i have no idea who Paul Fischer is.

I wonder if Paul Fischer, a 2nd round, a 3rd round, and the 2028 third would have been enough for two roster players from Edmonton if they had just straight up agreed on a trade.  Seems like it would be, but if the league would have rejected it this could be a way around it.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Love this. Good move by Edmonton to at least get a little more for losing the players.  Not that the 2028 3rd round pick matters and i have no idea who Paul Fischer is.

I wonder if Paul Fischer, a 2nd round, a 3rd round, and the 2028 third would have been enough for two roster players from Edmonton if they had just straight up agreed on a trade.  Seems like it would be, but if the league would have rejected it this could be a way around it.

Why would the league reject it?

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is great to hear. I'm not a St. Louis fan or anything but this was a perfectly designed predatory offer sheet scenario and shows a GM willing to play hardball cut throat and not be part of some silent boys club agreement scene. Obviously he's made an enemy in Edmonton but really helped his team and I hope this signals the start of other GMs getting this aggressive.  

The homework they did with those exact contract numbers to keep the compensation where it was was also genius. GM of the year so far. 

As an aside on Laine, it would have been insane if this team traded for Laine after buying out Skinner. 

42 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

As an aside on Laine, it would have been insane if this team traded for Laine after buying out Skinner. 

Especially when Ryan Johansen is available for nuthin.  Amiright?

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, sabremike said:

The only thing of value we got out of the trade was the 20 goal scorer who appears to be even more "damaged goods" than the "damaged goods" we acquired him for.

Tuch has played 74 and 75 games the past two seasons. What are you referring to?

2 hours ago, TheAud said:

Tuch has played 74 and 75 games the past two seasons. What are you referring to?

He was really bad last season because while technically able to play he was constantly hurt. Remember he also missed significant time after he was acquired as he was out injured.