Around the NHL: The 2024 Offseason

She’s the second woman to be a full-time assistant coach in the NHL and the first first-time on-ice assistance coach. Last season someone hired a woman as a video coach, which almost made the news with similar headlines. 

Women have been all over NHL rinks for years as skating coaches, both as power and agility/edgework. The coach hired by Seattle has a background in powerskating and has worked with multiple NHL teams. I believe Buffalo had a female skating instructor work sessions in the past. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I was reading a story at TSN and was surprised that the “Toronto” Sports Network thought that Draisaitl negotiations start at $13.5M. I am floored that anyone in the NHL might be worth more than Matthews. LOL.

Contracts should always be going up if the league is operating successfully. 

37 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Contracts should always be going up if the league is operating successfully. 

Yeah, with the cap going up it’s inevitable.

I just love the fact that their baby, Matthews, who they were so proud of for making more than MacKinnon will be passed after 1 season.

I'm not taking the time to verify this... so yell at Buccigross if he's wrong about it being 9 years.  I can see that the Oilers would likely have 9 forwards aged 32 or older. Technically older than 32 would work if you assume that the minute/day after their time of birth they are older than 32.

Good luck Skinner!  An interesting morsel of information (at least to me) nonetheless.

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LTS said:

I'm not taking the time to verify this... so yell at Buccigross if he's wrong about it being 9 years.  I can see that the Oilers would likely have 9 forwards aged 32 or older. Technically older than 32 would work if you assume that the minute/day after their time of birth they are older than 32.

Good luck Skinner!  An interesting morsel of information (at least to me) nonetheless.

And then there are deadline deals. 

25 minutes ago, LTS said:

I knew they were the oldest team in the league by average age this season. But by 4/14/2025:   Gagner 35, Henrique 35, Janmark 32, RNH 32 (on 4/12/25), Ryan 38, Arvidsson 32, Hyman 32, Kane 33, Skinner 32. That's impressive.

Positives for the Oilers:

1) They can have Savoie replace one of those old guys.

2) McDavid and Draisaitl are going to skate 27+ min/gm in every playoff game. They won't get worn down.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Animation Loop GIF Instagram Disable GIF by RollzInternational

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

2) McDavid and Draisaitl are going to skate 27+ min/gm in every playoff game. They won't get worn down.

They won't?  That's exactly why they lost to Florida.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I think he was talking about the old guys more than McDavid/Draisaitl.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I think my point still holds... McD & D end up playing so much that they are rendered ineffective, and okay, so your old guys aren't worn down... but without those two carrying the load, the old guys aren't good enough to carry the load either.  On a deep playoff run, McD & D are so worn down that the team becomes kind of meh.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I think my point still holds... McD & D end up playing so much that they are rendered ineffective, and okay, so your old guys aren't worn down... but without those two carrying the load, the old guys aren't good enough to carry the load either.  On a deep playoff run, McD & D are so worn down that the team becomes kind of meh.

They best learn how to sweep every series then... 16-0 let's do it 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Doohickie said:

image-20.png&w=750&q=75

I wonder how this maps to distribution of players by age.  Could it be that the blue window also contains the most players?

By 'adjusted' I think they mean on a 'per player' basis. I have seen charts like this before, slightly different, and they showed the same thing (forward scoring peaks about 24-25 years of age, peak period is 23-28.). There are exceptions of course.

Looking back at recent cup winners key offensive players:

-Florida this year. Best scoring players Reinhart 28 years old, Barkov 28, Tkachuk 26.

-Vegas:  Eichel 26, Stephenson 29, Marchessault 31, Stone 30

-Colorado: Rantanen 25, MacKinnon 26, Makar 23

-Tampa: Point 25, Kucherov 28, Stamkos 31

-Tampa (year before) Point 24, Kucherov 27, Stamkos 30

-St. Louis: O'Rielly 28, Tarasenko 27

Crosby won his cups at 21, 28, and 29 (nothing since)

Patrick Kane won his at 21, 24, and 26 (nothing since)

When the Bruins last won, their leading scorers were Krejci 25, Lucic 23, and Bergeron 25

And all of those were the ages the players were when they won the cup....they were of course about 8-9 months younger than that when the season started.

D-men tend to stay in their prime a bit more than forwards....and there are exceptions of players that excel and win cups as the #1 guy at an older age (Ovi), but for the most part, your best forwards better be 28 years old or younger.

FYI, when this next years cup arrives, Toronto's top guys will be Matthews 27, Nylander 29, Marner 28, and Tavares 34.  With that core, the Leaf's 'cup window' might be starting to close very soon, if you believe in the above chart and examples.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

It’s interesting that none of the trade names thrown around this offseason have moved: Necas, Ehlers, McGroaty, Zegras, Laine, Farabee.

The only one that really has to go seems to be Laine.

It seems to be an annual thing... especially in Winnipeg.