Mittelstadt signs, 3 years $5.75M AAV

dudacek

Underpaid for a 2C; overpaid for a 3C.

But what it really means is that the Avalanche can keep Trenin as a 4C option and pay him just fine. If you're Trenin, how much to the Sabres have to overpay you in UFA to be the 3C on a maybe, vs. 4C with Colorado to be ready-made Cup contender?

Edited by DarthEbriate

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Rico, you forgot about the gapping hole at center.   We need one right now and that is on Adams to bring in the right guy.   

Unless of course one of Krebs/Savioe/Kulich/Rosen/Östlund is ready to jump into the 3C role, then the problem is solved.    Otherwise we are probably spending some of these coveted assets to get Lindy a center (or two) right now.  

You're right -- KA needs for Byram to be really good, or at least more value-added than Mitts, AND for the Sabres not to be handicapped next season by poor 3C play.  Otherwise it's a major mistake.

I'm fairly optimistic that Byram will, under Lindy, be a substantially better player than Mitts, but I'm not terribly optimistic that KA will bring in a good 3C.  The good players usually have options, and a big chunk of them are not interested in coming here due to years of suckitude.

We'll see.

• Agree 1

I went looking though the December thread about what Casey's next contract would be. Most were wildly high. A few were low and a few were close but no one came closer than Berg who on December 13'th 2023 predicted 3 x 5.7.  Nice!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

You're right -- KA needs for Byram to be really good, or at least more value-added than Mitts, AND for the Sabres not to be handicapped next season by poor 3C play.  Otherwise it's a major mistake.

I'm fairly optimistic that Byram will, under Lindy, be a substantially better player than Mitts, but I'm not terribly optimistic that KA will bring in a good 3C.  The good players usually have options, and a big chunk of them are not interested in coming here due to years of suckitude.

We'll see.

If Byram is a more value-added player than Mitts he will be a good add.  Mitts is just coming into his prime and is going to do well for the Avs.  

• Vomit 1

I get it. We don’t want to lose any good player…especially a grow your own 60+ point type of player.  But the Sabres roster structure of defense first was sealed when they picked first and drafted D both times.  

No team in history drafted #1 overall closely and went D both times.  This is why I’m good with Byram.  Buffalo is trying to build the best blue line in the NHL and it cost Mitts to continue to add there.

The Sabres have a lot of forward depth in the pipe. They will rely on Tage & Cozens as 1C & 2C. A near six million AAV for a 3C is a luxury Buffalo cannot afford when they’re trying to build the best blue line in the NHL.  

Last thing—I understand Mitts was a top six forward and not a 3C. But with the prospect depth, it’s a lot easier to develop another top six/3C than it is to find another top four D given the current Sabres pipeline.  You don’t have to like their approach, but I understand what they’re trying to do. 

Good luck to Mitts. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I get it. We don’t want to lose any good player…especially a grow your own 60+ point type of player.  But the Sabres roster structure of defense first was sealed when they picked first and drafted D both times.  

No team in history drafted #1 overall closely and went D both times.  This is why I’m good with Byram.  Buffalo is trying to build the best blue line in the NHL and it cost Mitts to continue to add there.

The Sabres have a lot of forward depth in the pipe. They will rely on Tage & Cozens as 1C & 2C. A near six million AAV for a 3C is a luxury Buffalo cannot afford when they’re trying to build the best blue line in the NHL.  

Last thing—I understand Mitts was a top six forward and not a 3C. But with the prospect depth, it’s a lot easier to develop another top six/3C than it is to find another top four D given the current Sabres pipeline.  You don’t have to like their approach, but I understand what they’re trying to do. 

Good luck to Mitts. 

Well, it could just be a coincidence that the BPA both times they picked first overall was a defenseman.  

Playing a defense first style also applies to forwards.  Having a strong center spline, winning faceoffs and getting puck possession is important to playing strong defense. 

And for all the forward depth that we have in the pipeline, Benson comes along and makes the team at 18 and makes it impossible for Adams to send him down, or even to let him play in the Worlds.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.