NHL trade & FA rumors (Sabres & Non-Sabres)

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not going to argue with you because I read your overarching point as none of that impresses you. Which is essentially how I began my post and essentially how I feel as well

I’ll simply say that Adams could have done none of the above and some people here were expecting him to do none of the above.

(Skinner is the Sabres highest-paid player. Dahlin’s contract kicks in July 1.)

I'm going to seem like I'm defending Adams although really I don't like him, but, if those moves weren't Sabres' moves they would certainly look appropriate. I mean, if we were analyzing a team that we don't follow closely doing the same thing under the same circumstances, it would look like the GM has taken a brick hammer to the hockey side.

But @LGR4GM has the correct mindset here; Adams has a lot to account for. This thread, the draft thread, the off-season thread, all should be full of Sabres activities. The front page of the forum needs to be filled with Sabres doings - and smart, clever, interesting doings, too, not stuff that makes us throw up our hands.

1 hour ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I am 100% onboard with this. I think he made some serious mistakes that cost the team a playoff berth the last 2 years. Not seriously addressing the goalie is one and the goalie carousel is another. Putting all his eggs on his team will be better without adding anyone major was a huge miscalculation. Admitting that his team was too soft and not further addressing that. He is reactive, not proactive. Not the best trait for a GM. This is the year he either proves it or it is time for him to go.

All signs that he falls in love with his players and his prospects. 

You failed to mention that he has gone on record as saying that other teams love his prospects, and teams ask more from him than from other teams.   I think that is a bit kooky. 

Then again he "talked" to lots of veteran NHL coaches about the coaching job.  Even though several have said they never heard from him.  

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He shouldn't be captain because LGR wonders if he might ask out?

Honestly didn't know I had that much power over the Sabres... let's test it.

Buffalo must make good trades for Joel Eriksson Ek, Sam Bennett, and oh idk umm John Marino. 

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

If these rumors of Detroit getting players like Stamkos and Guentzel are true, we can just line up behind yet another real NHL team making moves and not praying that their own draft picks will save the team. And if they don't pay UPL, and just rely on Levi, they will reach a whole other level of stupid. 

Don't forget Ottawa getting Ullmark. Now there's questions on Ottawa's D being part of why Korpisalo was so bad and Ullmark without Boston's D might be worse, but he will be playing for a final contract and goaltending was their biggest weakness. Add New Jersey if you're thinking wildcard. A lot hinges on what happens over the next week. Staying the course won't get it done, even with the new coach. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I know people won’t (and shouldnt) be happy until we see results, but the perception Adams is sitting on his hands doesn’t ring true to me.

In the space of 3 months he has:

• Traded his captain
  • Traded his leading scorer
  • Acquired one of the more highly touted young defencemen of the past 5 years, who has a Stanley Cup ring
  • Fired his coach
  • Hired one of the winningest NHL coaches of all time
  • (Apparently) cut his highest-paid player

And we haven’t even hit the draft yet. This is hardly running it back.

I will keep this simple. Which of these moves if any made the team better? Maybe hiring the new coach. That's it. I wouldn't call that doing much compared to others but the final assessment comes after free agency, or at least after all the good free agents are gone. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jorcus said:

Rangers looking for better draft pick may move on from Kaapo Kakko. Any interest? If it were straight 11th pick for Kakko baring other trade would seem worth it. 

He seems like a Victor Olofsson clone.  No thanks. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I will keep this simple. Which of these moves if any made the team better? Maybe hiring the new coach. That's it. I wouldn't call that doing much compared to others but the final assessment comes after free agency, or at least after all the good free agents are gone. 

Trading the captain MAY have made the team better (he wasn't playing well at all, and not that many minutes.

Trading his leading scorer may make the team better in the long term.

Cutting the highest paid player again, may make the team better.

So are they moved guaranteed to make the team much better? No, but they are things that MIGHT in the long term, so to the point of the original poster, many on here complain they want him to do SOMETHING, and he certainly has done SOMETHING, and its up to the future to see if those moves are correct.

• Eyeroll 1

In a deeper article about the Canes, Lebrun says we have serious interest in Necas.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5594383/2024/06/26/nhl-rumblings-necas-guentzel-tanev-kane/

The hottest potato right now involves pending restricted free agent Martin Necas, who wants a change of scenery. The Canes have heard from nearly every single team in the NHL on him — I believe the Buffalo Sabres have very serious interest — but it’s getting to be crunch time if a trade is going to happen that involves a first-round pick Friday as part of the package.

“Teams are calling. We’ve been working hard on it,” Tulsky said. “I would say that’s been one of my biggest focuses, trying to figure out where that’s going to go. We’ve had a lot of interest. We’ve had a few offers that I would consider very serious.

“Whether or not any of them get across the line remains to be seen.”

While Tulsky wouldn’t say, other league sources say that there is one team in particular that is pretty close with Carolina on the framework of a deal and that if that trade goes through, it would involve a first-round pick Friday night. So if that particular team decides to go ahead with Carolina, we will know within 48 hours here.

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In a deeper article about the Canes, Lebrun says we have serious interest in Necas.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5594383/2024/06/26/nhl-rumblings-necas-guentzel-tanev-kane/

The hottest potato right now involves pending restricted free agent Martin Necas, who wants a change of scenery. The Canes have heard from nearly every single team in the NHL on him — I believe the Buffalo Sabres have very serious interest — but it’s getting to be crunch time if a trade is going to happen that involves a first-round pick Friday as part of the package.

“Teams are calling. We’ve been working hard on it,” Tulsky said. “I would say that’s been one of my biggest focuses, trying to figure out where that’s going to go. We’ve had a lot of interest. We’ve had a few offers that I would consider very serious.

While Tulsky wouldn’t say, other league sources say that there is one team in particular that is pretty close with Carolina on the framework of a deal and that if that trade goes through, it would involve a first-round pick Friday night. So if that particular team decides to go ahead with Carolina, we will know within 48 hours here.

Hate that idea 

He is effectively a taller Jeff Skinner looking for money 

Bad defensive stats

Doesn't hit much

Has almost 1-3 Takeaways to Giveaways

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

Article seems to be a deliberate Carolina plant pointing to 1 of 2 things:

• Making the Sabres think another team is offering a high pick and getting them to up their offer;
  • Or, making another team think the Sabres are offering a high pick and getting that team to up their offer.

Thing I like about it is that it either reflects, or is playing off a perception, that the Sabres are all in right now.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Adams: “Hey Utah, we may be looking to move top pairing dman Joker in the right move. He played with Dahlin on the top pair for some time. Ofcourse it would take a big return like Crouse+ to get us to consider our top pair Dman”😃

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Hate that idea 

He is effectively a taller Jeff Skinner looking for money 

Bad defensive stats

Doesn't hit much

Has almost 1-3 Takeaways to Giveaways

I agree. Necas is a talented player but I don’t think the fit is great for what they are hoping for ( a productive player that plays hard for 200 feet.)

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Hate that idea 

I'd rather spend my money in a different aisle, but if you're talking about "replacing Mittelstadt" as a skilled forward, he has a very similar profile.

He's faster, a little bigger, of a similar talent level and the same age. Has mostly played wing, but is historically a centre and wants to play centre.

He's probably not as diligent, but has very good possession numbers in an offensive deployment.

Edited by dudacek

I have been a lurker on this page for a long time! I am a long time member on another board and I just could not hold my tounge anymore! 

If we can get Necas you get him! He is 25 years old, yes you have to pay him, but is 6'2 190 lbs, fast, forechecks, isnt a physical beat but plays hard. 

To me its a deal built around Joki and 11th, they need defensmen as Skjei and Pesce could go elsewhere

If you get Necas you are getting him for his prime years! He had 72 points last year, and still 50 this year. He replaces Skinner instantly and he has played center before.

You then add a defensive defensman and revamp the bottom six and we are laughing! This could be a very good move for us. 

I see no value in trading assets for Jeff Skinner 2.0, whilst buying Jeff Skinner out.

Moreover, Jeff Skinner 2.0 is looking for a big contract. So suddenly we are paying the Jeff Skinners $12-13 million three years from now, when we have a bunch of young talent to pay. Plus on top that we also have to trade / sign a guy to be defensivley responsible.

Deck chairs on the Titanic

8 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I see no value in trading assets for Jeff Skinner 2.0, whilst buying Jeff Skinner out.

Moreover, Jeff Skinner 2.0 is looking for a big contract. So suddenly we are paying the Jeff Skinners $12-13 million three years from now, when we have a bunch of young talent to pay. Plus on top that we also have to trade / sign a guy to be defensivley responsible.

Deck chairs on the Titanic

He’s better than Skinner and has upside Jeff doesn’t have any more, but otherwise I think this is where I am.

I could maybe live with it in the context of other moves, but he’s not the player I’d be focused on.

Skinner and assets doesn’t make sense if we’re going to sign him to a deal that effectively makes him part of the core.

That might change if we can sign him to a deal like the one Casey just signed and flip him in two years.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

He shouldn't be captain because LGR wonders if he might ask out?

No it's likely to happen he just saw all his X team mates win the cup why wouldn't he leave if things don't go good ? 

32 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Adams: “Hey Utah, we may be looking to move top pairing dman Joker in the right move. He played with Dahlin on the top pair for some time. Ofcourse it would take a big return like Crouse+ to get us to consider our top pair Dman”😃

Power for  Guenther

35 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Send them Power for 4 1sts.  The flip them for a player that can help us now.  

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jfc, no. What's the point of analytics if Adams is just going to get the same players he likes over and over and over. Just no. You need a different mix, not someone who's skinneresque

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.