NHL trade & FA rumors (Sabres & Non-Sabres)

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I doubt anyone on Washington had good numbers.

I still can’t believe they made the playoffs.

The Sabres were better than the Caps. They making the playoffs and we not is an indictment on our coaching staff. Both teams were not complete teams. They simply did more with less. 

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not really. As long as the two teams playing aren't involved you can do whatever you want. The window before free agency is short so some teams want to get things done (or not) so they can go into free agency (and the draft) with clear plan A's or plan B's.

I suspect teams in the finals *could* make a trade, but the incoming player wouldn't be eligible to play so there's zero benefit. Interesting question though: if you play a game in the finals or enough during the season, but get traded before the end of the series, do you still get your name on the cup?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No one mentioned this blockbuster?

I've wanted Dellandrea for years.  I'm upset because he would have been a good addition to our bottom six. He plays with energy and a bit of an edge, and he's played well with Cozens in the past. And it only cost a 4th round pick.  Adams sleeping on the job, especially considering that Dallas has been one of his few trading partners in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MattPie said:

I suspect teams in the finals *could* make a trade, but the incoming player wouldn't be eligible to play so there's zero benefit. Interesting question though: if you play a game in the finals or enough during the season, but get traded before the end of the series, do you still get your name on the cup?

I've never thought of that. Could a team trade someone away while still playing in the playoffs? It's never happened and that would be the ultimate kick in the teeth and I suspect that would destroy your locker room. You couldn't add a player so no one would ever do this but technically I guess, if you've played a game you get on the cup. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've never thought of that. Could a team trade someone away while still playing in the playoffs? It's never happened and that would be the ultimate kick in the teeth and I suspect that would destroy your locker room. You couldn't add a player so no one would ever do this but technically I guess, if you've played a game you get on the cup. 

Technically you can add a player but he wouldn’t be eligible to play. Like you said, it’s never going to happen. Even a cut throat team like Vegas wouldn’t take the chance.

• Agree 2

On 6/19/2024 at 7:44 PM, RochesterExpat said:

I don't understand the Dubois for Kuemper trade. Can someone explain to me why the Caps were willing to make that trade? Is it simply that they think he's a reclamation project?

The Caps ended the season with Charlie Lindgren being their #1 goalie with Kuemper the backup. They believe that Dubois can be rehabilitated and become their #2 center. One of their other centers, Strome, might be available. Strome is the caliber of center who I believe can be a 2/3C. Dowd is more of a 4C. He can be acquired for a reasonable price. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The Caps ended the season with Charlie Lindgren being their #1 goalie with Kuemper the backup. They believe that Dubois can be rehabilitated and become their #2 center. One of their other centers, Strome, might be available. Strome is the caliber of center who I believe can be a 2/3C. Dowd is more of a 4C. He can be acquired for a reasonable price. 

This is a very logical argument, but I still don't understand it. I mean really, how many rehabs do you give a guy like that? I thought LA was gambling when they got him (a gamble they lost) and now Washington is willing to go again? Crazy. 

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Strome is their number 1 centre.

Backstrom, 36, had to sit out most of last year because his hip surgery didn’t work. I don’t know if he can come back at all. Strome won’t be available. He has to pass the puck to Ovi for the goal scoring record.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Strome is their number 1 centre.

Backstrom, 36, had to sit out most of last year because his hip surgery didn’t work. I don’t know if he can come back at all. Strome won’t be available. He has to pass the puck to Ovi for the goal scoring record.

Washington is in a delicate situation where it is trying to make the transition from old to new by steadily bringing up their high-end prospects. As you point out, Ovie's pursuit of Gretzky's goal scoring is a complicating feature to that transition. If there wasn't an Ovie record consideration, I could see the Capitals dealing Strome for young players. What the Capitals have done demonstrable better than the Sabres is to stay competitive while also making the transition from old to younger. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think Ted Leonsis gives two shits if the Caps win another game during Ovi’s career. Everything they do will be to get him the record. PLD has probably the highest potential of anyone available to help him get there. If he sucks, he sucks. Washington is ready for a long winter as soon as Ovi is #1. 

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Washington is in a delicate situation where it is trying to make the transition from old to new by steadily bringing up their high-end prospects. As you point out, Ovie's pursuit of Gretzky's goal scoring is a complicating feature to that transition. If there wasn't an Ovie record consideration, I could see the Capitals dealing Strome for young players. What the Capitals have done demonstrable better than the Sabres is to stay competitive while also making the transition from old to younger. 

The Capitals are not competitive. I forget the exact numbers but they had the worst goal differential of a playoff team in like 15 years. In fact since 2019/20 the Capitals have lost in the first round 4-1, 4-1, 4-2, did not qualify, and 4-0. They've won a total of 4 playoff games in the last 5 seasons which sure is better than Buffalo but that bar is insanely low. They aren't a competitive team or a threat to anyone in the playoffs. Could change but they went from 1st to 4th in the metro, one of the weaker divisions in the NHL. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Capitals are not competitive. I forget the exact numbers but they had the worst goal differential of a playoff team in like 15 years. In fact since 2019/20 the Capitals have lost in the first round 4-1, 4-1, 4-2, did not qualify, and 4-0. They've won a total of 4 playoff games in the last 5 seasons which sure is better than Buffalo but that bar is insanely low. They aren't a competitive team or a threat to anyone in the playoffs. Could change but they went from 1st to 4th in the metro, one of the weaker divisions in the NHL. 

The Capitals made the playoffs last year, and we did not. I don't particularly care about goal differentials. You either make the playoffs or you don't. They did, and we didn't. As you indicate, the bar for Washington is low. Yet, it is higher than our bar. As I said in the prior post, the Capitals are in the process of making the transition from aging players out to steadily infusing the roster with younger players. What has made the transition even more challenging is trying to maintain a credible team in order to support Ovie in his record pursuit.  As you well know, it's a tough process for the fans to endure. Yet, they are doing it without hitting the bottom. That's something that we haven't done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Capitals made the playoffs last year, and we did not. I don't particularly care about goal differentials. You either make the playoffs or you don't. They did, and we didn't. As you indicate, the bar for Washington is low. Yet, it is higher than our bar. As I said in the prior post, the Capitals are in the process of making the transition from aging players out to steadily infusing the roster with younger players. What has made the transition even more challenging is trying to maintain a credible team in order to support Ovie in his record pursuit.  As you well know, it's a tough process for the fans to endure. Yet, they are doing it without hitting the bottom. That's something that we haven't done. 

You are missing the point because as a Sabres fan you are lying at the bottom of a well looking up and someone dying of dysentery saying, "well, they are doing better than me!"

"They are doing it without hitting the bottom" but instead just wallowing in mediocrity and getting destroyed in a playoff series 4-0. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You are missing the point because as a Sabres fan you are lying at the bottom of a well looking up and someone dying of dysentery saying, "well, they are doing better than me!"

"They are doing it without hitting the bottom" but instead just wallowing in mediocrity and getting destroyed in a playoff series 4-0. 

You are missing the point by distorting my point. No need to respond. It's pointless. 

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is a very logical argument, but I still don't understand it. I mean really, how many rehabs do you give a guy like that? I thought LA was gambling when they got him (a gamble they lost) and now Washington is willing to go again? Crazy. 

Dubois is the NHL's equivalent of the crazy ex-girlfriend you know you should quit but just can't. It's good for a while but will, ultimately, end badly.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

You are missing the point by distorting my point. No need to respond. It's pointless. 

Incorrect. I dismissed your point as wrong, I didn't miss it. Calling Washington competitive is where we disagree. 

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to NHL Trade Market Heating Up! (Thread to discuss actual transactions)
  • GASabresIUFAN changed the title to NHL trade & FA rumors (Sabres & Non-Sabres)
1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ll start.  Apparently Ullmark, who has a 16 team NTC, also wants an extension before he accepts a trade.  I would too if I was him.

Ofcourse he does because when he gets away from that Boston defensive system it won’t be pretty.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.