NHL trade & FA rumors (Sabres & Non-Sabres)

11 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not sure how he fits into their cap, but in terms of roster fit, Necas makes more sense for the Devils than the Sabres.

Tulsky floating the Sabres as interested in order to get Jersey to cough up 10 makes sense.

(As does floating NJ, I guess, assuming the Sabres have already offered 11 and Carolina is trying for an add 🤷)

I just hope our attention and assets are actually being dangled for a better fit.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

Buying out Skinner only to trade for a defensively deficient forward from Carolina who reportedly wants $9m a year is quite the GM strategy.

It’s like deja vu all over again. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Yes May. No one knows for sure.  If someone could know for certain what moves would work and which ones wouldn't, that team would likely win the cup every year.  I don't know. The Sabres don't know. No other team knows. You don't know.  The point that the original poster that I responded to made is that moves ARE getting made. That is it. This forum, in general, has complained for a long time that not enough moves are being made. Well, now they are.

No they're not though. We aren't adding pieces, we're just shuffling so far. Mitts out creates a gaping hole at 3C. Until Adams fills that hole adequately there's no reason to be excited about Byram in Mitts out. We had Montour. They decided they had no use for him. Byram is just Montour lite. There's no addition so far. 

At the moment, we are not a better team on paper than the team that started last year's season. We are in fact worse. So there's no moves improving the team so far. Except for the coach. I deal in the realities of what's actually happening not in the maybes. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I know people won’t (and shouldnt) be happy until we see results, but the perception Adams is sitting on his hands doesn’t ring true to me.

In the space of 3 months he has:

• Traded his captain
  • Traded his leading scorer
  • Acquired one of the more highly touted young defencemen of the past 5 years, who has a Stanley Cup ring
  • Fired his coach
  • Hired one of the winningest NHL coaches of all time
  • (Apparently) cut his highest-paid player

And we haven’t even hit the draft yet. This is hardly running it back.

I mean it’s definitely running it back if we did nothing else of note. But we will 

- - - 

I see a lot of poo-pooing of Necas online but I like him I think. Those rumours to me are intriguing 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'd rather spend my money in a different aisle, but if you're talking about "replacing Mittelstadt" as a skilled forward, he has a very similar profile.

He's faster, a little bigger, of a similar talent level and the same age. Has mostly played wing, but is historically a centre and wants to play centre.

He's probably not as diligent, but has very good possession numbers in an offensive deployment.

I bet you he’d be the top 6 W add 

Peterka - Thompson  - Tuch

Benson - Cozens - Necas

Greenway - X - Quinn

X - Krebs - X

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

He’s better than Skinner and has upside Jeff doesn’t have any more, but otherwise I think this is where I am.

I could maybe live with it in the context of other moves, but he’s not the player I’d be focused on.

Skinner and assets doesn’t make sense if we’re going to sign him to a deal that effectively makes him part of the core.

That might change if we can sign him to a deal like the one Casey just signed and flip him in two years.

Already thinking about flipping him lol. 

let’s make the playoffs 

• dislike 1

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Maybe I’m out of touch with the numbers, but a top 10 pick for a 53 point scorer seems like a lot. 

He’s averaged over 60 points the last 2 seasons though combined. I bet you the average output for 11 overall is less. Never mind the massive premium there should be on the immediacy of the asset. Necas being good now is much more valuable than hypothetical equal production in 5 years 

- - - 

These moves will all work in combination with eachother, right? Who was that guy from Washington we were apparently targeting with ridiculous D heavy usage? Dowd? So they stick him on line 3 and run him heavy on D again allowing the 2nd line with Benson - Cozens - Necas to run wild on O.

It brings me back to preferring a better 4C instead of Krebs so we can lean of line 4 in a defensive way too but I suppose many have confidence in his defensive abilities 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

I bet you he’d be the top 6 W add 

Peterka - Thompson  - Tuch

Benson - Cozens - Necas

Greenway - X - Quinn

X - Krebs - X

Already thinking about flipping him lol. 

let’s make the playoffs 

Jack Quinn is better than Necas.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Martin Necas versus Jack Quinn. First you can have 3 good lines but if we are trading assets does Necas bring something we don't have? 

Jack Quinn: 27games, 9g, 10a, 53.7cf%, 1.3g/60, 1.4a/60, +0.4xgf

Martin Necas: 77games, 24g, 29a, 61.8cf%, 1.1g/60, 1.3a/60, +5.2xgf

For the corsi numbers, context matters. Carolina is an excellent possession team that limits shots against and does well in shot generation... versus Buffalo under granato who couldn't get anything HD cuz reasons. That said the number I want to look at most is the rate metrics of g/60 and a/60 where Quinn has an advantage in both of those metrics. Now they are slight but also Quinn came off of injury to do it in his 2nd season. 

However if we sort things a bit, we have pp numbers, keeping in mind the Sabres pp was the dumbest thing I have ever watched. They basically saw 6 weeks of it working and then kept it for two years like little kids having a favorite movie. 

Necas: 2.9g/60, 1.8a/60 on the powerplay

Quinn: 1.2g/60, 2.4a/60 on the powerplay

Necas generates a lot on the PP and Quinn much less so, although you can see Quinn is an very good assist generator and that goes to his brains and skills. My point for this is, what is Necas bringing that we don't already have? I think Quinn's pp goal numbers are obviously bad because the Sabres spent two years standing still making useless passes trying to get Tage a one timer. At even, Quinn already outproduced a guy with 362 career games compared to 104 games. You could argue that Necas the last 3 years has been healthy so availability beats other ability. I just would rather find someone either clearly better with term or playing a far different style which Necas is basically a speedy rush guy with a bit of bite but nothing crazy. 

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Buying out Skinner only to trade for a defensively deficient forward from Carolina who reportedly wants $9m a year is quite the GM strategy.

Adams logic.

We can only hope some team saves Adams from himself.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not sure how he fits into their cap, but in terms of roster fit, Necas makes more sense for the Devils than the Sabres.

Tulsky floating the Sabres as interested in order to get Jersey to cough up 10 makes sense.

(As does floating NJ, I guess, assuming the Sabres have already offered 11 and Carolina is trying for an add 🤷)

I just hope our attention and assets are actually being dangled for a better fit.

He is decent but let NJ have him and lets add some skill AND grizzle.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Just reading the comments re: Necas. It seems this is where the Sabres REALLY need to lean into its analytics guys.

Not reading any specific implication into your comment, but it seems likely if we trade for Necas there will be a few “why do we even have Ventura” and “does Adams even consider analytics” posts. I get it, but what makes people think our analytics team doesn’t love Necas?  Our internal models may well tell a story that the public models don’t. Why pay a small fortune for an internal analytics team and model development if we are just going to go by what J Fresh tweets (and I like J Fresh). 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Just reading the comments re: Necas. It seems this is where the Sabres REALLY need to lean into its analytics guys.

inkman’s 2024 analytics:

times punched in the face /60 minutes

times you punched someone in the face /60 minutes

how cool does your beard look

body checks thrown / 60 

How many Vanek faces made per game while lazily skating back to the bench after your shift

number of 5 minute majors for elbowing/boarding/kneeing/spearing per game

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

If NJ adds Necas, Markstrom and the rumor of Pesce that would be a hell of an offseason for them.

Contrary to popular belief, as the Sabres organization has proven, there is not always hope.

Don't do this to yourself, don't dare to dream our Sabres would actually make some moves to give us fans hope.

No pain.....No gain? 🤣 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

inkman’s 2024 analytics:

times punched in the face /60 minutes

times you punched someone in the face /60 minutes

how cool does your beard look

body checks thrown / 60 

How many Vanek faces made per game while lazily skating back to the bench after your shift

number of 5 minute majors for elbowing/boarding/kneeing/spearing per game

Chicago Blackhawks Fight GIF by NBC Sports Chicago

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.