NHL trade & FA rumors (Sabres & Non-Sabres)

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Kastelic plays like a Bruin so I get that, but Korpisalo? I get it from Ottawa's view but Boston thinks they can rehabilitate him? Gonna flip him? Strange. 

If the Bruins waive Bussi as a result of this next year Sabres should pick him up. They won't, but they should. 

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What if Toronto traded Marner and then traded for Skinner with Buffalo retaining 2 mill? 

download.jpg

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Boston has Bussi to backup Swayman. Are they buying out Korpisalo?

I wonder if Philly was in fact a third team involved in talks as was rumored since Torts had Korpisalo in Columbus and might like him. Maybe something like that will still happen. Bussi is too good to waive but you never know. 

18 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

We trade away ROR he gets a cup. Trade away Eichel and he gets a cup. Trade away Reinhart and he gets a cup

Skinner, where do you want to get a cup?

We should be happy the Swamp Cats pulled it off.  They proved you can have AT LEAST 5 Sabres on your roster and still win a Stanley Cup.  If 5 can do it, why not 20?

• Haha (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

We should be happy the Swamp Cats pulled it off.  They proved you can have AT LEAST 5 Sabres on your roster and still win a Stanley Cup.  If 5 can do it, why not 20?

Argue Wife Swap GIF by Paramount Network

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It should make us a desirable destination for free agents. Your career doesn't die in Buffalo, it just sets you up for an eventual cup win after. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Speaking of, this was a heck of a call, minus Girgensons obviously 

@GASabresIUFANI take your points, was definitely just mostly remembering my reaction at the time and probably dudaceks lol. 

Lehner ended up a mistake because of his personal issues.

Based strictly on talent, he was worth the pick we gave up.

People remember hating the trade when it happened and how bad he was at shootouts.

They forget he went .924, .920 and .908 in 3 Buffalo seasons playing behind the likes of Risto, Bogosian, Gorges and Franson and a team that couldn’t score if their lives depended on it.

He’s got a career save percentage of .918.

The guy Ottawa took with that pick, Colin White, is a spare part with 44 career NHL goals and has topped 23 points once in his career. The guy the Sabres were going to take, Samsonov, has played roughly half the NHL games Lehner has since the trade and has a career save percentage of .903.

The trade was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

People remember hating the trade when it happened and how bad he was at shootouts.

They forget he went .924, .920 and .908 playing behind the likes of Risto, Bogosian, Gorges and Franson and a team that couldn’t score if their lives depended on it.

The guy Ottawa took with that pick, Colin White, has 44 career NHL goals and has topped 23 points once in his career. The guy the Sabres were going to take, Samsonov, has played roughly half the NHL games Lehner has since the trade and has a save percentage of .903.

To this day, believe that people would've been ok with the trades of that weekend had Lehner been brought in for the 3rd 1st round pick and the 2nd one been part of the package to get O'Reilly.  Murray knew he didn't need to use the pick that went out for Lehner to get O'Reilly; had he needed it for that doubt he would've ended up with Lehner.  

But that Murray team was simply cursed.  Lehner screws up his ankle bumping the post in the 2nd period of the home opener against Ottawa of all teams, ruining his 1st 3 or so months of his Sabre tenure and O'Reilly drives his truck into a Timmy Ho's putting him in the owner's dog house.  Yes, Murray had no idea how personal interactions or life in general could effect how his horses performed on the ice, but those were 2 of his 3 key pickups that year.  And both had 'seriously, that actually happened' events hanging over them and then the next year right before opening night Girgensons gives Eichel a high ankle sprain in the last practice prior to the season opening.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They forget he went .924, .920 and .908 playing behind the likes of Risto, Bogosian, Gorges and Franson and a team that couldn’t score if their lives depended on it.

The guy Ottawa took with that pick, Colin White, has 44 career NHL goals and has topped 23 points once in his career. The guy the Sabres were going to take, Samsonov, has played roughly half the NHL games Lehner has since the trade and has a save percentage of .903.

Excellent, well said. As on point now, as then.

I thought I wanted to add something but realize I can’t. 

I suppose other than just to say, the reason this stuff matters is because all the reasonable transaction babies gets thrown out with the bad overall team bath water and the stylistic, strategic nature of certain moves that are actually reasonable in strategy get ruled out because “Murray did that and we sucked.”

It’s like he ruined trading for a goalie or players to jumpstart your core for everyone. Not only weren’t the theories all bad, even some of the *execution* wasn’t, just the overall body

(sometimes the threads are filled with too many eye rolls to delve into this stuff I guess)

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

To this day, believe that people would've been ok with the trades of that weekend had Lehner been brought in for the 3rd 1st round pick and the 2nd one been part of the package to get O'Reilly.  Murray knew he didn't need to use the pick that went out for Lehner to get O'Reilly; had he needed it for that doubt he would've ended up with Lehner.  

But that Murray team was simply cursed.  Lehner screws up his ankle bumping the post in the 2nd period of the home opener against Ottawa of all teams, ruining his 1st 3 or so months of his Sabre tenure and O'Reilly drives his truck into a Timmy Ho's putting him in the owner's dog house.  Yes, Murray had no idea how personal interactions or life in general could effect how his horses performed on the ice, but those were 2 of his 3 key pickups that year.  And both had 'seriously, that actually happened' events hanging over them and then the next year right before opening night Girgensons gives Eichel a high ankle sprain in the last practice prior to the season opening.

That’s what I was alluding to upthread, the 1st 2nd thing offsetting 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Excellent, well said. As on point now, as then.

I thought I wanted to add something but realize I can’t. 

I suppose other than just to say, the reason this stuff matters is because all the reasonable transaction babies gets thrown out with the bad overall team bath water and the stylistic, strategic nature of certain moves that are actually reasonable in strategy get ruled out because “Murray did that and we sucked.”

It’s like he ruined trading for a goalie or players to jumpstart your core for everyone. Not only weren’t the theories all bad, even some of the *execution* wasn’t, just the overall body

(sometimes the threads are filled with too many eye rolls to delve into this stuff I guess)

That’s what I was alluding to upthread, the 1st 2nd thing offsetting 

Murray was REALLY good at identifying guys that were physically talented.  But he was REALLY REALLY bad at understanding how people interact with each other and how those interactions could let players like Rodrigues become more than they appear to be and cause players like Kane &/or Bogosian end up bad influences on young players that you're really relying on.

If Murray had an Adams who does seem to understand the human side of the game and how to relate to people as an advisor he could trust, the whole thing could've worked.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Murray was REALLY good at identifying guys that were physically talented.  But he was REALLY REALLY bad at understanding how people interact with each other and how those interactions could let players like Rodrigues become more than they appear to be and cause players like Kane &/or Bogosian end up bad influences on young players that you're really relying on.

If Murray had an Adams who does seem to understand the human side of the game and how to relate to people as an advisor he could trust, the whole thing could've worked.

IMG_4264.thumb.jpeg.7c21911999e97394a6e6e268a05b6157.jpeg

kevyn Murray would be a good GM 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The sens sure do love trading for players that are not locked up long term.   I think Linus sees this as a year where he can prove to the league he can play 60 games as 1A and get a long term 7 mill AAV deal somewhere else.

The sens worst case have a goalie they can trade at the deadline and get a good return.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The sens worst case have a goalie they can trade at the deadline and get a good return.

Imagine the fans reaction if they are in the hunt for a playoff spot due to Ullmark’s play.

They didn’t give up much for him, I guess keeping him for the playoff run would not be the worst thing for them. Losing him July 1st would send a message to their management.

13 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

I think they try with a Swayman Korpisalo duo. Korpi has always been better in the backup role.

this seems right. korpi coming in at 3 mill for a backup is not bad - bussi is no guarantee to be nhl ready. the more i look at this trade, this less i dislike it for boston. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Andrew Gibson is a solid RHD with some offense to his game and good gap control. He's 6'3" and has second pairing or third pairing potential. 

Don’t know the prospects or situations enough to have informed opinion there, but that’s the type of trade you don’t see often.

The value seems reasonably aligned with where Gibson was picked, so the why is hard to grasp. I can’t imagine the Sabres flipping Wahlberg or Strbak in that kind of deal just because.

Got to be something more to the story.

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The sens sure do love trading for players that are not locked up long term.   I think Linus sees this as a year where he can prove to the league he can play 60 games as 1A and get a long term 7 mill AAV deal somewhere else.

And they ditched the korpisalo contract 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.