Rooting for the Edmonton Oilers.

JohninMinn.

I'd definitely like to see Edmonton force a Game 7.  The NBA finals were a dud and there's not a lot of drama and excitement to mid-season baseball, so a game 7 would be the best sports viewing (for me) until the fall.

Assuming a Game 7 happens, I'm torn as to who to root for.  It would be amazing to see the Oilers complete the rare comeback from down 3-0 and maybe see Connor McDavid cement his legacy as one of the all-time greats.  On the other hand, Edmonton has 5 Cups, so it's sometimes nice to see a team that doesn't have a championship get one.  Also, they're never going to have a problem promoting hockey in Western Canada, but it's good for the game to promote it in areas where it's less popular, so Florida winning a Cup would really be a plus for hockey in that part of the country.  It's already very popular in Tampa, and they have 3 Cups to go with that.

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Florida wins turns our 7th rd pick for KO into a 5th rd pick.

And a whopping increase of <5% that the pick has a cup of coffee in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Weave said:

And a whopping increase of <5% that the pick has a cup of coffee in the NHL.

But it’s the difference in Komarov vs Lyckasen.

I honest don’t care who wins, but I’d always prefer a better draft pick.  I’d also prefer that Okposo and Erod win a Cup vs Evander Kane.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:
2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Florida wins turns our 7th rd pick for KO into a 5th rd pick.

If this is someone’s rooting interest…I mean damn lol 

It's the most tangible reason for a rooting interest in this thread.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Where do you rank McDavid all time If they win the cup? Top 5?

To me, I still have Sid ahead due to the 3 cups, but I bet you I’d be in the minority 

In ranking all-time greats, IMHO longevity factors in (to a certain degree).  Personally can't put him in front of Gretzky, Lemieux, nor Orr in any case and really have a hard time putting him ahead of Howe at this point.  (Again, longevity counts for something.)  Wouldn't put him ahead of Crosby at this point either (realize that's a big point of the debate); so even w/out including any goalies, wouldn't have him top 5 YET.  Could see him being there when his career is in the rear view mirror, just not yet.  My 2 cents.  YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And that doesn't include guys like Harvey, Richard, Shore, Morentz, etc.  So, maybe not even top 10 just yet.  But it's really hard to rank guys that weren't even within 50 years of each other.

His sheer dominance over the others of his era gives him a bye right to the top 10 imo

i think he’s the “best” to ever do it but yes, in terms of greatness I think he’s got a ways to go to catch the top guys but he’d be flirting with ~5-6 imo with a win here 

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

His sheer dominance over the others of his era gives him a bye right to the top 10 imo

i think he’s the “best” to ever do it but yes, in terms of greatness I think he’s got a ways to go to catch the top guys but he’d be flirting with ~5-6 imo with a win here 

Harvey was the Bobby Orr until Orr came along.  Won 6 of the 1st 8 Norris' and was runner up one of those 2 times.

Richard scored 50 goals in 50 games.  A record that wasn't to be broken in more games for over 20 years and in the same number of game for nearly 40 years.  He was Lemieux to Howe's Gretzky in his era.  

There were guys that were dominant over others from their era; Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr didn't have a monopoly on it.

Can see an argument for him being in the top 6 if the Eulers pull this out (heck, even if they don't) but personally don't see it being a slam dunk that that's his slot.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Harvey was the Bobby Orr until Orr came along.  Won 6 of the 1st 8 Norris' and was runner up one of those 2 times.

Richard scored 50 goals in 50 games.  A record that wasn't to be broken in more games for over 20 years and in the same number of game for nearly 40 years.  He was Lemieux to Howe's Gretzky in his era.  

There were guys that were dominant over others from their era; Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr didn't have a monopoly on it.

Can see an argument for him being in the top 6 if the Eulers pull this out (heck, even if they don't) but personally don't see it being a slam dunk that that's his slot.

With what like a 6 team league on an unfairly advantaged Habs team? McDavid is better than Harvey 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

To me, I still have Sid ahead due to the 3 cups, but I bet you I’d be in the minority 

Top 5 ? He's in the top 10 right now when his career is done likely top 5

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

tbh I've never bothered to rate who I think the best are.  It's kind of like a mock draft.... not anything I can get excited about.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Yet the NHL gave the hawks  Bedard

Look, the NFL hates Buffalo. That's why we don't get calls and have a home game in London where the opponent habitually plays and is waiting a week ahead of us and acclimated. So, for sure, the NHL hates Buffalo. The refs like to give us the business, "No Goal" is the wound that never heals, and besides, if they didn't hate us, that would mean we're just ridiculous, miserable dopes, and we can't have that, can we?

• Eyeroll 1

I have mentioned this site before - it is not perfect, but it attempts to address the discussion between @Thorny and @Taro T:

image.thumb.png.c01490ba9fdafcef8808442dd1d4f88c.png

Right now, McDavid is 10th for forwards. Based on having a decent length career, he picks up another 50 points, throw in 21 more for awards, 10 or more for playoffs ... puts him at 436, right where he probably should end up - behind Gretzky and Lemieux and ahead of everyone else. (note that MANY top end forwards are penalized heavily for playing in bygone eras in the TIME column)

I don't recall exactly if the numbers are balanced across positions, but Orr has 525, Bourque at 497, Roy 425, and Hasek 423. So, Looks like McDavid settles into 5th place unless he decides he wants to flirt with 200 points in a season on a regular basis.

www.adjustedhockey.com - I hate doing math, but I love and appreciate when others can do it to provide some context to an otherwise existential debate. 🙂 The website gives a very detailed explanation of each column and their rationale behind it. As with anything subjective, you may not agree with all of their logic.

Bonus emotion: It makes me very angry that Pitt has had 3 of the top 4 forwards of ALL TIME, with Malkin casually sliding in at 16 - like, eff them. Hard.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I found myself rooting for Edmonton last night.

I really like that they didn't quit on the series when down 3-0, and that they gave their fans a great, great show in their last home game of the season last night to force game 7.  And that crowd was awesome.

And Zach Hyman is the kind of guy the Sabres are dying for.

BTW, the Oilers got off to a terrible start to the season, just like the Sabres -- but they didn't just write off the season like the Sabres did.  They fired their coach, and look at them now.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.