Adams and Forton pre-draft press conference, 6/20/2024

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It is somewhat irrational - but nonetheless very, very real - that I reflexively winced when I saw that video-still preview above. I just have zero confidence in those guys at the moment.

If that’s not the default I’d probably question one’s logic. Let’s be real, here

Can they succeed? Absolutely. It would be foolish to expect it though given precedent 

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The press conference is a hidden track on its own album.

You have to WANT to watch it 

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, dudacek said:

Exactly, a master class in media manipulation, more 4D chess from the Sabres.

I use the 18 minutes of downtime to curate my bias in advance, and formulate my opinion before listening to what they actually have to say

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Whoa, whoa whoa, our GM did not REALLY say that did he? That cannot be right...

That's a quote from the presser in this thread.  It was Jerry Forton.  I couldn't believe it.  

17 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Terrified that " Running It Back " is exactly the plan.  They still love this roster. 

Make some trades. 

The GM has repeatedly stated that his focus is primarily going to be on the lower half of the roster. My reading of his many comments since the season ended is that he is more than satisfied with the upper half of the roster. There will be deals but odds are it won't involve a blockbuster deal. However, he needs to bring in a 2/3 C player to replace Mitts. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

That's a quote from the presser in this thread.  It was Jerry Forton.  I couldn't believe it.  

Personally took it as an indication that he seldom gets interviewed because we all knew what he MEANT (and it was IMHO an attempt at being self depreciating saying 'yeah, we drafted really well, but where we were drafting we were expected to do so, so it's no feather in our collective caps') but it was very easily construed in a different manner.

IF they have a media relations advisor, that'll be one that gets highlighted on the review tape as how to NOT speak to the media.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

I was thinking about the presser in the context of @Weave’s post about not trusting what Adams said and two things really stood out for me.

The first was the Skinner question: if there ever was a instance where it is in the GM’s best interest to flat out lie, there it is. I’m sure it was a situation where many a GM has lied before and their fanbase probably understood.

The 2nd was Krebs: seems to me he talked about Mittelstadt in similar terms and pretty much the same tone just before he shipped him off to Denver. I wouldn’t be getting my panties in a knot that it meant Kevyn has him firmly pencilled in as the 3C.

In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Krebs is a piece headed out of town as part of a package to grab a Mittlestadt replacement.

• Like (+1) 1

Another thing the presser more or less confirmed: Luukkonen and Levi is Plan A for next year.

I mean we all expected it, but that was closest I’ve ever heard him come to acknowledging it.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Another thing the presser more or less confirmed: Luukkonen and Levi is Plan A for next year.

I mean we all expected it, but that was closest I’ve ever heard him come to acknowledging it.

When he said after last season's trade deadline that they REALLY like the GTing, it put it at 90%+ that would be this coming season's tandem.  But he literally moved that to 99%+ this morning.

Ruff's comments about figuring out pairings is the only reason to expect that the top 8 D might not be set yet (though w/ the order still to be determined).  See 3 - 4 outsiders being brought in this summer but would be shocked if more than 1 isn't an F and wouldn't be surprised at all if they all are F's.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When he said after last season's trade deadline that they REALLY like the GTing, it put it at 90%+ that would be this coming season's tandem.  But he literally moved that to 99%+ this morning.

Ruff's comments about figuring out pairings is the only reason to expect that the top 8 D might not be set yet (though w/ the order still to be determined).  See 3 - 4 outsiders being brought in this summer but would be shocked if more than 1 isn't an F and wouldn't be surprised at all if they all are F's.

Yeah, the wild card is Henri.

Things really fall into place a lot more neatly if he is flipped for a defensively reliable RHD.

Buying out Skinner also gives them the opportunity to shop a little more high-rent there, if only on a shorter term.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Personally took it as an indication that he seldom gets interviewed because we all knew what he MEANT (and it was IMHO an attempt at being self depreciating saying 'yeah, we drafted really well, but where we were drafting we were expected to do so, so it's no feather in our collective caps') but it was very easily construed in a different manner.

IF they have a media relations advisor, that'll be one that gets highlighted on the review tape as how to NOT speak to the media.

Excellent points and I 100% agree.  My apologies if it seemed I was trying to be misleading.  It was definitely an attempt at thwarting away the compliment that they've drafted well.  

It just came off as another person just not getting it.  That's the part I just couldn't believe.  You don't know to not say that?

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/20/2024 at 12:30 PM, That Aud Smell said:

The Krebs talk is excruciating.

Amen

21 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

"Well first of all we've been very fortunate to make a lot of high picks the last couple years.  It really makes you look good when you're picking that high all the time to be honest with you."

Um no Forton, you don't look good and it's not fortunate.  What a ridiculous statement.

That would explain our conundrum... and the abject incompetence of our entire FO

11 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Do you have an issue with Joki as a third pairing guy? Genuine question.

Yes even at his Q-offer (2.6) amount. However the extension they are discussing is 4 years or more at 4 mill a season. How on G-d’s green Earth is he worth that kind of money.  I’d rather give Johnson(900K) the 3rd pair with Clifton than spend 2.6 or more on Joki.  To voluntarily spend $4 mill on a 3rd pairing D is another example of poor cap and asset management.

To make the deal really bad he’ll sign him for 5 years at 4.5 with a NMC.  Adams has zero idea how to build a manage a hockey team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes even at his Q-offer (2.6) amount. However the extension they are discussing is 4 years or more at 4 mill a season. How on G-d’s green Earth is he worth that kind of money.  I’d rather give Johnson(900K) the 3rd pair with Clifton than spend 2.6 or more on Joki.  To voluntarily spend $4 mill on a 3rd pairing D is another example of poor cap and asset management.

To make the deal really bad he’ll sign him for 5 years at 4.5 with a NMC.  Adams has zero idea how to build a manage a hockey team.

Fair enough. Frankly, I’m with you that those contract numbers are insane. I would never sign him for that, but he showed last season he’s fine as a 3rd pairing guy.

i guess from my perspective there are enough other holes in the roster that worrying about Joki coming back on the third pair just isn’t one that I’m going to stress about.

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s definitely something I’ve personally just dropped because arguing against it seems imminently futile 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

Excellent points and I 100% agree.  My apologies if it seemed I was trying to be misleading.  It was definitely an attempt at thwarting away the compliment that they've drafted well.  

It just came off as another person just not getting it.  That's the part I just couldn't believe.  You don't know to not say that?

Heavens to Betsy, it was a joke. You draft at higher positions, you have a selection of better players. Having the pick of litter will naturally make you look better. There’s some irony in there, but what he said may very well be partly truthful, as most jokes are. 

43 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Where did you see this?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.