Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

4 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

They should realize, they must come to the side of bitterness, disdain, and be hopeless.  Only then will they realize that every other franchise is better and they're sheep for liking Skinner. 

A mind-blowing and NHL record setting 13-years in a row without making the playoffs only serves to reinforce the bolded point. You have to be completely inept to not fall bass ackwards into a playoff spot in the NHL at least once during that stretch. It's unfathomable, yet this organization has somehow found a way to make it a reality.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

A mind-blowing and NHL record setting 13-years in a row without making the playoffs only serves to reinforce the bolded point. You have to be completely inept to not fall bass ackwards into a playoff spot in the NHL at least once during that stretch. It's unfathomable, yet this organization has somehow found a way to make it a reality.

5 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

Yes, only true competent fans like you understand the importance of hating the players on the team that are under contract.  How dare those imbeciles not look at only the bad in a players game and wish them off the team.

They should realize, they must come to the side of bitterness, disdain, and be hopeless.  Only then will they realize that every other franchise is better and they're sheep for liking Skinner. 

There are people not on the side of bitterness, disdain and hopelessness? What? Why? I want names. More importantly I want to know what they're smoking because I want some. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

There are people not on the side of bitterness, disdain and hopelessness? What? Why? I want names. More importantly I want to know what they're smoking because I want some. 

inkman here for role call 

IMG_3007.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

yup... they are now the extreme outlier of what seems nearly impossible statistically.  You have to try hard to fail this bad because it has never been done before. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Those are distortions of my post. I'm not calling anyone names. And I'm not stumping for some sort of hockey dystopia.

If you're legitimately sad to see Skinner go, then there's probably no point in our discussing the matter. Dude's got edge work for days, can be tenacious in the o-zone, and has a knack for getting open and finding the back of the net. He's also a freelancing floater who doesn't know how to effectively be part of something bigger than himself. One thousand regular season games is a sufficient sample size.

Eh, kinda called people a name and at minimum mocked them.  He's a good player and fans like myself enjoyed the good that he did.   

No one said "sad", that's a distortion of my post.  

3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Of course, we understand where we've been.  The point is, these posts are useless.  Trying to constantly bring this stuff up to try and convince every fan they shouldn't like anything is foolish.  

If I felt the way you do, I couldn't come here (which I do most days).  That's on you.  Don't project your bitterness on me.

Of course we all get frustrated but at some point, we should be able to comprehend that universal disgust of players and the team isn't the goal.  

I like the team and I'm looking forward to what we do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

20 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Glad to confirm that you’re not sad to see Skinny go.

Nope, not sad.  However, he's not a symbol of this teams lack of success.  He's been a good player, a seemingly good teammate and one of the positives of the drought.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

On 6/18/2024 at 1:10 PM, mjd1001 said:

I struggle to think of why you would do this now instead of waiting another year. The Sabres have some potentially big contracts/decisions upcoming in the next few years. They have cap room THIS year to pay him. Why buy him out now, which will make the upcoming years a lot worse on the cap than simply waiting another year?

You don't want to play him, then "Ralph Krueger" him, but a buyout this year instead of next year makes little sense to me.

It will not make upcoming years “a lot worse”. Please look at the numbers. It will increase our cap spending by $0.4M more every year buying him out now as opposed the next year. In addition, in year 29-30, it will cause a cap hit of $2.4M. That’s an extra $2.4M hit in 5 years. I don’t see either of these causing much of a cap problem considering the cap will be increasing each year. 

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

It will not make upcoming years “a lot worse”. Please look at the numbers. It will increase our cap spending by $0.4M more every year buying him out now as opposed the next year. In addition, in year 29-30, it will cause a cap hit of $2.4M. That’s an extra $2.4M hit in 5 years. I don’t see either of these causing much of a cap problem considering the cap will be increasing each year. 

I don't want ANY extra cap hit when the current young guys are starting to get paid more in a few years.  So to me, I did look at the numbes, for the team that does make it a lot worse in my opinion.

7 hours ago, kas23 said:

Hopefully in 5 years we are more like Tampa, Colorado, Florida or Dallas. Ask those teams if they would like an extra $2.4 million in cap space now. We have operated with a lot of cap space over the last few years, and have been rubbish with lots of young guys on cheap contracts.

However, in 5 years, that money could be the difference between keeping a guy like Quinn or being forced to trade them.

I want to make the playoffs, but I also don't want to burn things to the ground to make it next year, and then settle into being a bubble team for the foreseeable because we made hasty moves for thr sake of it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Based on the lack trades that went down league wide; I'm starting to guess that if we can't get a Top 6 forward for any particular reason legitimate or an excuse we will hold onto Skinner.  

Problem with this is skinner has to be bought out by tomorrow and top 6 ufa’s cant be signed until Monday. Skinner is as good as gone 

• Like (+1) 1

As I sat on my throne of last evenings dinner choice regret, I heard a voice.......

"If you purge him out, they will come"

And......

"Go the distance, ease our pain"

It was very shortly after this, during the courtesy flush period, that I realized the voice I heard was mine.

Skinner gone by end of day today is my hope.

31 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

As I sat on my throne of last evenings dinner choice regret, I heard a voice.......

"If you purge him out, they will come"

And......

"Go the distance, ease our pain"

It was very shortly after this, during the courtesy flush period, that I realized the voice I heard was mine.

Skinner gone by end of day today is my hope.

Thoughts in a similar place, I don't remember a game I watched where I thought we need to keep him.

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Based on the lack trades that went down league wide; I'm starting to guess that if we can't get a Top 6 forward for any particular reason legitimate or an excuse we will hold onto Skinner.  

I suspect you are right and a Skinner buyout is linked to making a trade for a top 6 forward. Adams won't do anything so bold, but I would love it if they announced a Skinner buyout and then also stated that they planned to be major players in the UFA market on Monday.  Let the world know that we are looking to spend some money.

Guentzel, Stamkos, Lindholm, Marchessault and Kane are the big 5 UFA forwards. I don't see us being in play for any of them. After those 5 though, there are around 20 legit middle 6 forward options available. I recognize that Buffalo may not be choice #1 for many of these players, but I just can't believe that it is impossible to convince 3 of them to sign with the Sabres if we are prepared to pay at the high-end of their contract projections. 

3 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I suspect you are right and a Skinner buyout is linked to making a trade for a top 6 forward. Adams won't do anything so bold, but I would love it if they announced a Skinner buyout and then also stated that they planned to be major players in the UFA market on Monday.  Let the world know that we are looking to spend some money.

Guentzel, Stamkos, Lindholm, Marchessault and Kane are the big 5 UFA forwards. I don't see us being in play for any of them. After those 5 though, there are around 20 legit middle 6 forward options available. I recognize that Buffalo may not be choice #1 for many of these players, but I just can't believe that it is impossible to convince 3 of them to sign with the Sabres if we are prepared to pay at the high-end of their contract projections. 

Guentzel is staying in Carolina according to reports.