Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

I see Skinner as emblematic, symptomatic of this team's failures. And I am mystified by fans who follow the team closely but fail to see that.

As I've posted elsewhere, it's like a form of Stockholm Syndrome for sports fans. "Don't take away a leading goal scorer from my favourite hockey team that fails to succeed each and every year, for years on end. He's among the best pieces of that failing enterprise. What would the Sabres possibly do without him?"

Meanwhile, the Panthers were a playoff team that traded one of their top players in order to re-tool and take another shot at a Cup. A plan that didn't have to work, but it sure enough did. And yet there are Sabre fans that, in the past, would wring their hands over calls to move on from Skinner and now worry about how the team will score goals without him.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I see Skinner as emblematic, symptomatic of this team's failures. And I am mystified by fans who follow the team closely but fail to see that.

As I've posted elsewhere, it's like a form of Stockholm Syndrome for sports fans. "Don't take away a leading goal scorer from my favourite hockey team that fails to succeed each and every year, for years on end. He's among the best pieces of that failing enterprise. What would the Sabres possibly do without him?"

Meanwhile, the Panthers were a playoff team that traded one of their top players in order to re-tool and take another shot at a Cup. A plan that didn't have to work, but it sure enough did. And yet there are Sabre fans that, in the past, would wring their hands over calls to move on from Skinner and now worry about how the team will score goals without him.

When you got it, you got it.

You just strutted past me on the beach. Damn, bruh, you got a porch for that swing?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Great post.  On top of that, they worry about a $2 million cap hit down the line. They want to win, they bitch about winning but they don’t want to be involved in any of the tough decisions to help win.

Lets keep Skinner, not make the playoffs for 3 more years but be happy about future cap hits.😳

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Great post.  On top of that, they worry about a $2 million cap hit down the line. They want to win, they bitch about winning but they don’t want to be involved in any of the tough decisions to help win.

Lets keep Skinner, not make the playoffs for 3 more years but be happy about future cap hits.😳

Appreciate that. 

I'm also here to say: Nothing is guaranteed! A Sabres team without Skinner next season might be worse. But there was/is no sense carrying on with things substantially as they have been. Sheeyit - I'd even embrace a trade of one on their top young players. Why the funk not?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think for me, I have just tired of the rhetoric of endless 'addition by subtraction', and that the Sabres will perform better if only they get rid of one of their top performing players.

Especially when we have had those players go on to perform well in cup winning teams.

I am not opposed to buying Skinner out, but it is clear we are on basically every NTC list, and will struggle to sign players without overpaying. Therefore, buying Skinner out only benefits the team if there is a clear plan for how to use the cap space / roster position. Doing it to 'shake the team up' and having more cap space that goes unused, or to clear a path for a rookie who isn't quite ready to be in the NHL to make the team is simply a repeat of what we have done for for the last however many years.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Its easy to be excited about the future where anythings possible and the pain for bad management is felt by no one. The present is a different animal. Everyone feels the pain. 

17 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I think for me, I have just tired of the rhetoric of endless 'addition by subtraction', and that the Sabres will perform better if only they get rid of one of their top performing players.

The who now?

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yes, only true competent fans like you understand the importance of hating the players on the team that are under contract.  How dare those imbeciles not look at only the bad in a players game and wish them off the team.

They should realize, they must come to the side of bitterness, disdain, and be hopeless.  Only then will they realize that every other franchise is better and they're sheep for liking Skinner. 

• Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The who now?

Skinner has been top three in goals on this team for the last three seasons. Across that time frame he has averaged over 30 goals a season.

If we buy him out, and get nothing but cap space in return, we need to somehow sign / trade for a player who can put up 30 or so goals a season, otherwise our anameic offense has just loss a significant chunk of its blood.

JS may not play defense, but he is good at what he does - which is score goals - and that should not be forgotten or dismissed

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

We are a fanbase where for a significant amount of time, the most beloved player on the football team was the punter.  Buffalonians really have lived through a horrific 2+ decades.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Yes, only true competent fans like you understand the importance of hating the players on the team that are under contract.  How dare those imbeciles not look at only the bad in a players game and wish them off the team.

They should realize, they must come to the side of bitterness, disdain, and be hopeless.  Only then will they realize that every other franchise is better and they're sheep for liking Skinner. 

Those are distortions of my post. I'm not calling anyone names. And I'm not stumping for some sort of hockey dystopia.

If you're legitimately sad to see Skinner go, then there's probably no point in our discussing the matter. Dude's got edge work for days, can be tenacious in the o-zone, and has a knack for getting open and finding the back of the net. He's also a freelancing floater who doesn't know how to effectively be part of something bigger than himself. One thousand regular season games is a sufficient sample size.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

We are a fanbase where for a significant amount of time, the most beloved player on the football team was the punter.  Buffalonians really have lived through a horrific 2+ decades.

And look at how that turned out

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlfA830KfI_tZRlIsAQOD

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I like many are okay with a buyout / trade if we get something in return - top 6 caliber. I think the resistance from many is a fear we won’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Trettioåtta said:

Skinner has been top three in goals on this team for the last three seasons. Across that time frame he has averaged over 30 goals a season.

If we buy him out, and get nothing but cap space in return, we need to somehow sign / trade for a player who can put up 30 or so goals a season, otherwise our anameic offense has just loss a significant chunk of its blood.

JS may not play defense, but he is good at what he does - which is score goals - and that should not be forgotten or dismissed

Those two-goals-in-24-games stretches while the season burns down were awesome.

36 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Those are distortions of my post. I'm not calling anyone names. And I'm not stumping for some sort of hockey dystopia.

If you're legitimately sad to see Skinner go, then there's probably no point in our discussing the matter. Dude's got edge work for days, can be tenacious in the o-zone, and has a knack for getting open and finding the back of the net. He's also a freelancing floater who doesn't know how to effectively be part of something bigger than himself. One thousand regular season games is a sufficient sample size.

Don't you know the program yet? Supporting the current regime is an indication of your satisfaction with life and your virtuous traits. Fall in line or you're a bitter, miserable person.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Don't you know the program yet? Supporting the current regime is an indication of your satisfaction with life and your virtuous traits. Fall in line or you're a bitter, miserable person.

Team Storm Cloud?

Team … Rainbows and Kittens, was it?

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk if Skinner has to be put on waivers cuz of the NMC... I suppose he does? If so, it aint happening today.

Marty and Duffer said yesterday his NMC means he will not be put on waivers

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Amen here.... we lost with you we can lose with out you but dont tell me we need you... I remember when the got rid of Derek Roy... addition by subtraction... AND I believe the last time we made the playoffs. 

36 minutes ago, JP51 said:

Amen here.... we lost with you we can lose with out you but dont tell me we need you... I remember when the got rid of Derek Roy... addition by subtraction... AND I believe the last time we made the playoffs. 

I'd take a Derek Roy on this team in a heartbeat. The problem the Sabres encountered with Roy - towards the end - is that he was being expected to do too much. Still a very nice player, when he was in the correct role.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'd take a Derek Roy on this team in a heartbeat. The problem the Sabres encountered with Roy - towards the end - is that he was being expected to do too much. Still a very nice player, when he was in the correct role.

at this point LOL I would take him... It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember it was less about his play and more about his fit in the locker room. Not sure his team mates were supportive of him... but who knows the memory fades.  But hell remember when Roy Pomenville and Vanek were our 3rd line.... that was a stacked team.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Pleased Jeff Goldblum GIF by First We Feast