Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well he loses 7 mil total so I imagine he’d want to make that up in the next 3 years

On the buyout he loses money. But he can make it up by signing a lower contract with another team. By offering his services for a lower averaged salary, there should be a number of teams who would be interested in him. From a financial situation, he is in a better situation by not waiving his NMC. At least, that's how I see it. 

• Agree 3

Just now, JohnC said:

On the buyout he loses money. But he can make it up by signing a lower contract with another team. By offering his services for a lower averaged salary, there should be a number of teams who would be interested in him. From a financial situation, he is in a better situation by not waiving his NMC. At least, that's how I see it. 

There is however a real black eye to being bought out

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Because it would be a pretty cool thing for Skinsie to do. 

Skinner is a good nature guy. But he's not dumb. He's veteran enough to recognize that the NHL is a sport and a business. 

• Like (+1) 1

"No final decision" equates to "we're buying you out" 

Context for context sake.  Skinner has no reason to waive his no trade clause, and I don't personally blame him.  If Adams were aggressive, he'd waive him and start the process now.  Do it and move on, stop skating around the issue, assess it, make it happen and move on. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, thewookie1 said:

There is however a real black eye to being bought out

I don't see it as a black eye for him or anyone else subjected to a buyout. It's a business. And he's smart enough to recognize it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Jeff Skinner has been a true trooper for the Sabres. Let me make this abundantly clear, no one should be spitting venom at Jeff. He's earned the right to control the situation, and if you aren't on board with that, well, I feel sad for you.

Jeff, regardless of the outcome, from this 50+ yr Sabres fan, thank you. And I mean that with all that I am. Thank you. Good luck going forward, may your your life's journey be fulfilled.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is true, but why roll the dice on signing a contract for $7M over 3 years? His current contract already guarantees this. It would be reasonable to ask Kevyn what trades he has on the table. Either say yes or no, rather than a blanket “I’m not waiving it”. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I don't see it as a black eye for him or anyone else subjected to a buyout. It's a business. And he's smart enough to recognize it. 

Well I hate him for it; we paid him a lot of money and it’s not like most of the teams who’d sign him wouldn’t trade a mid round pick for his services at 4.5 or 5mil

He doesn’t even have to lose money and his NMC still allows him to go to a team of his choice. 

Most likely however 

Marner will be traded to Vegas for Theodore, Thompson and a 2nd and the Skinner will sign there for 1x3mil and score a bunch because that’s just how life is as a Buffalo fan. We can’t have nice things and anything nice we get is automatically guaranteed to fall flat.

We can’t trade Skinner due to a NMC 

We can’t trade for the players with the skill sets we need because they have NTCs and NMCs against us.

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

This is an issue, but I think a bigger one is too many don’t remember what a winning team looks like in things like age, experience, skill set, pedigree, etc. 

That's part of it. They just need to look at the teams at the top and the cup winners to figure it out though. You'd think. 

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If this is true it's f'n ridiculous. You're one day before the draft and a few days from free agency and you haven't made a final decision on something this big? So the "plan" is no plan. 

download.png

I think it’s pretty clear the plan is to wait and work until the last minute to see if they can work out a trade scenario palatable to all parties.

I think it’s also slightly possible they may decide to keep Skinner in certain scenarios where other plans fall through.

And there is also the slim possibility they are bluffing in an attempt to get Jeff to waive.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Ok here's an idea

Chicago wants to move up supposedly from 18.

Buffalo wants out from Skinner's contract

Skinner wants a buyout if we don't want him.

We work out a deal where we send 14, Skinner(50%) and a '26 3rd to Chicago for 19. The condition on our 1st however is that Skinner must be bought out.

Then everyone leaves happy

Chicago moves up

Buffalo's buyout caphits are halved

Skinner gets to be a UFA

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Ok here's an idea

Chicago wants to move up supposedly from 19.

Buffalo wants out from Skinner's contract

Skinner wants a buyout if we don't want him.

We work out a deal where we send 14, Skinner(50%) and a '26 3rd to Chicago for 19. The condition on our 1st however is that Skinner must be bought out.

Then everyone leaves happy

Chicago moves up

Buffalo's buyout caphits are halved

Skinner gets to be a UFA

I like it but the clock is running.  

It would probably take some time to pull off, but based on the timing of the Skinner buyout rumors KA could have been using the media chatter to see who was interested…

Is he really that clever though?

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Well I hate him for it; we paid him a lot of money and it’s not like most of the teams who’d sign him wouldn’t trade a mid round pick for his services at 4.5 or 5mil

He doesn’t even have to lose money and his NMC still allows him to go to a team of his choice. 

Most likely however 

Marner will be traded to Vegas for Theodore, Thompson and a 2nd and the Skinner will sign there for 1x3mil and score a bunch because that’s just how life is as a Buffalo fan. We can’t have nice things and anything nice we get is automatically guaranteed to fall flat.

We can’t trade Skinner due to a NMC 

We can’t trade for the players with the skill sets we need because they have NTCs and NMCs against us.

I don't understand your response. He and the team negotiated a contract that included a NMC. It's likely that he is going hold the organization to the clause within a buyout. What's wrong with that? He's not obligated to do the organization any special favors. His best interest is to maintain the clause and have it honored so he can work the market that best suits him. If anyone is to be criticized about the clause it is the organization that included it when it signed him. It had the option of not signing him with the clause. They didn't do that. The organization made a bad judgment, and now they have to live with the consequences. It's a business. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand your response. He and the team negotiated a contract that included a NMC. It's likely that he is going hold the organization to the clause within a buyout. What's wrong with that? He's not obligated to do the organization any special favors. His best interest is to maintain the clause and have it honored so he can work the market that best suits him. If anyone is to be criticized about the clause it is the organization that included it when it signed him. It had the option of not signing him with the clause. They didn't do that. The organization made a bad judgment, and now they have to live with the consequences. It's a business. 

I'm a Sabres fan, not a Skinner fan; that's all it is. No matter how illogical I will always back my team

27 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I like it but the clock is running.  

It would probably take some time to pull off, but based on the timing of the Skinner buyout rumors KA could have been using the media chatter to see who was interested…

Is he really that clever though?

Well if I thought of it I hope someone in his staff would of too.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

If this is true it's f'n ridiculous. You're one day before the draft and a few days from free agency and you haven't made a final decision on something this big? So the "plan" is no plan. 

download.png

Not just not made a decision Adams doesn’t “get the sense”.

”I don’t get the sense” is a phrase you use when you either haven’t talked to somebody directly or haven’t talked To somebody about a specific issue.

It isn’t a response to a conversation you actually had. 

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I'm a Sabres fan, not a Skinner fan; that's all it is. No matter how illogical I will always back my team

Being a Sabre fan doesn't require you to give up logic. Skinner is acting in his own best interest just as the Sabres are in buying him out, assuming that is what is going to happen. The Skinner scenario is not uncommon in hockey. It's not unusual for teams to buy out players, and it is not unusual for players to seek out options that are in their best interest. It's part of the business where sentimentality is set aside. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think it’s pretty clear the plan is to wait and work until the last minute to see if they can work out a trade scenario palatable to all parties.

I think it’s also slightly they possible they may decide to keep Skinner in certain scenarios where other plans fall through.

And there is also the slim possibility they are bluffing in an attempt to get Jeff to waive.

That all sounds like a lot of bs. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

That all sounds like a lot of bs. 

That management wouldn’t have a plan based on contingencies, or that Adams wouldn’t?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

That management wouldn’t have a plan based on contingencies, or that Adams wouldn’t?

That they don't have a firm decision on what they want or don't want from Skinner. They should, and if they don't it's all bs and cluelessness.

Would they try to trade him? Sure. But aren't all players in motion every season? They should be. Nothing should ever be off the table at this time of the year.

But they either want him or they don't and that decision should be firm and made. No ifs ands or maybes.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Being a Sabre fan doesn't require you to give up logic. Skinner is acting in his own best interest just as the Sabres are in buying him out, assuming that is what is going to happen. The Skinner scenario is not uncommon in hockey. It's not unusual for teams to buy out players, and it is not unusual for players to seek out options that are in their best interest. It's part of the business where sentimentality is set aside. 

Thank you Spock, but I'm one of the Captain Kirk's that will kind of hate him for it. We're sports fans, we're passionate, not sure what you don't get about that.

Why is it when the Sabers try to move a player, they are the bad guy.  The player pushes back, it apperas ownership has no control.  Eichel and now Skinner.   I realize two totally different situations but similar responses from the players and the impression of bad management and poor decision making.  Lack of experience?  Afraid to hurt someone's feelings?  No  kahunas?

42 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Why is it when the Sabers try to move a player, they are the bad guy.  The player pushes back, it apperas ownership has no control.  Eichel and now Skinner.   I realize two totally different situations but similar responses from the players and the impression of bad management and poor decision making.  Lack of experience?  Afraid to hurt someone's feelings?  No  kahunas?

Haven't had the impression of any of this. 

3 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Thank you Spock, but I'm one of the Captain Kirk's that will kind of hate him for it. We're sports fans, we're passionate, not sure what you don't get about that.

What I don't get is the resentment towards a player who wants the terms of his contract honored by the organization that is buying him out. Being passionate doesn't mean that you have to lose your common sense. If you want to express your passion/anger, then direct it towards the inept organization that gave the player this too extended contract with such a limiting clause. The organization limited its options with this particular player by agreeing to this clause in the contract. And now they are limited to what they would like to do. What a freaking surprise! When you shoot yourself in the foot, blame the dumb shooter. 

You are mistaken about how Captain Kirk would have reacted. He would have been smart enough (or not dumb enough) to write a clause for a subordinate that would come back to sabotage himself and his crew. And if the potential crew member insisted on the NMC clause before signing on, Captain Kirk would have told the aspirant to journey on with another ship. Captain Kirk would not have needed any advice from the robotic Spock because he had enough common sense and good judgment to make a better decision. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Jeff Skinner has been a true trooper for the Sabres. Let me make this abundantly clear, no one should be spitting venom at Jeff. He's earned the right to control the situation, and if you aren't on board with that, well, I feel sad for you.

Jeff, regardless of the outcome, from this 50+ yr Sabres fan, thank you. And I mean that with all that I am. Thank you. Good luck going forward, may your your life's journey be fulfilled.

Tom Hanks Wow GIF by Laff