Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Yes, and I am saying trading down in and of itself does not show a willingness to be aggressive. In fact, if nothing else happens, I’d argue it’s the complete opposite. He’s willing to sit back and let the cards land as they may. 

You might think he has a trade lined for his 1, but the team also wanted a  2, so he went out and got another 2 by trading down a few spots. 

You might think that but it is hard to tell with Adams.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Why would he??? He can make more money by being bought out and signing another contract. 

On the other hand if the Sabres don't find a use for the money they would save and keep him he might find himself in a misery box if he does not play the way Ruff want's him to. Adams has a stubborn streak, ask Jack Eichel.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Come on Skinner.  Where is your good teammate, wants to be here, good for the room, funny guy between two stalls comradery?   Take one for the team and waive the clause, open it up to a few teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Very few seem to get this.   Winning a trade is not the point of making a trade.  

Take the Mitts-Byram trade.   Lets all buy in to the notion that Byram has more upside and will be the better player, even if that never happens.  Did the Sabres get better?   So far I say no because the hole left by Mitts is much greater than whatever Byram is bringing on defense. 

Until they add a center at Mitts level or better, the team was weakened by the trade.  They have the picks/prospects to add a 2C and they need to do it.   

I can rant about the Cozens contract next.  He is playing 3C level of hockey (sometime less), yet people say I am wrong to want Adams to add a 2C, all because Cozens makes 2C money.   Not my fault that Adams blew the Cozens contract, along with Ullmark, Reinhart, etc.   

I honestly think it's too many years of sucking and all the fans here have to talk about is drafts and future prospects. Some of the younger people here have never even seen a winning Sabres team. Anyone under 30 was a teenager at most the last time they were in the playoffs. With that mindset they are very focused on winning the trade and other statistical possibilities and probabilities. 

Every year at the deadline I laugh as fans here go "oh that was an overpay" and so forth for other team's deals and then I go over to the Bruins board and they complain "Sweeney didn't do enough. he could have moved his first rounder from 2030......." etc. (exaggerating slightly here for the effect). It's just a mindset difference about winning now or not. 

A 2C would be far preferable I agree, but a 3C is a bare minimum. If it's Krebs kiss another year goodbye. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Hasn’t sensed? It really isn’t that hard of a question and probably an easy one to answer given he’s going to be “moved” despite his NMC. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Hasn’t sensed? It really isn’t that hard of a question and probably an easy one to answer given he’s going to be “moved” despite his NMC. 

Jeff isn't interested in waiving his NMC. Sensed is just semantics. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I honestly think it's too many years of sucking and all the fans here have to talk about is drafts and future prospects. Some of the younger people here have never even seen a winning Sabres team. Anyone under 30 was a teenager at most the last time they were in the playoffs. With that mindset they are very focused on winning the trade and other statistical possibilities and probabilities. 

This is an issue, but I think a bigger one is too many don’t remember what a winning team looks like in things like age, experience, skill set, pedigree, etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe, just maybe, Ruff can help Skinner be a better defensive player if Jeff is still on the roster this coming season? It's wishful thinking I get it, but it would do wonders for Skinners game. We all know the guy can score in bunches.

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

I guess it really depends on if he wants to go to a real contender or is happy floundering. 

He plays for the Sabres and (reportedly) is not lifting his NTC.  My guess is that floundering doesn't bother him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Come on Skinner.  Where is your good teammate, wants to be here, good for the room, funny guy between two stalls comradery?   Take one for the team and waive the clause, open it up to a few teams.  

Why would Skinner be willing to waive his NTC? It would make no sense for him. His best option is take the buyout, and then be an appealing player for a number of teams. His appeal beyond being a goal scorer is that he can go to a team for a big discounted contract. From his financial perspective, he can play for a relatively low salary and on added to his buyout money, he would be making more money than even if he stayed with the Sabres. His contract put him in control of his own fate, and he is using it. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why would Skinner be willing to waive his NTC? It would make no sense for him. His best option is take the buyout, and then be an appealing player for a number of teams. His appeal beyond being a goal scorer is that he can go to a team for a big discounted contract. From his financial perspective, he can play for a relatively low salary and on added to his buyout money, he would be making more money than even if he stayed with the Sabres. His contract put him in control of his own fate, and he is using it. 

If he waives to a team he wants to go to he guarantees himself full value of his contract. If goes the buy out route he might earn less. It might not be a huge difference but it’ll likely be less.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Well he loses 7 mil total so I imagine he’d want to make that up in the next 3 years

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Because it would be a pretty cool thing for Skinsie to do.