Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

They is people who create the entries. They is you. You could have fixed the error.

Skinner's mother probably did it while hoping he ends up on a contender.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I think "must trade the 11 pick" is a narrow view. Instead of trading the pick he can trade a prospect that is closer to NHL ready which may be more appealing to a trade partner and use the pick to replenish the pipeline. This team is already too young. I don't really want to add more prospects next year. I think Kulick will be good, but still could stand another season in Rochester if we're a playoff team. Savoie was stuck in Juniors and probably needs at least a year in Rochester. Beyond those 2, I don't really want any of our prospects even in consideration for this season. Either way we need to trade assets that won't help us this year for something that does.

I do kind of feel like buying Skinner our this year when next year is cheaper is kind of wasted if we're not using most of the cap space, because it's going to make it that much harder to sign Peterka, Quinn and Levi in the next few years. So either there is a plan in place to spend that money in trades, free agency, or signing guys to extensions or they just really believe getting Skinner off the team is that urgent to improving the team.

I do feel like him playing on anything but the top 2 lines is a waste of what he brings. If he's not scoring goals, he's not contributing. He's not going to be playing on the PK and he's not going to play defense. He does ok on the PP, but not enough to offset the lack of production he'd have stuck on the 3rd line all season.

I think it's time to move on from an awful contract and there is no real good way out due to the NMC, so even if they don't spend the cap I'm probably ok with it at this point.

In this same vein, i think future's and younger prospects could also be in play as add's.  The NHL roster has holes for sure, but the list of guys "a year away" (or two, or three, or never etc.) is getting long.  Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Östlund, Wahlberg being the main 5 forwards - when do they potentially slot in?  But also, where do they potentially slot in?  You also have a few defensemen that are either ready for more prime time - Johnson, or there's potential there to help fill out the group in the future like Novikov, Komarov, and Strbak. 

I don't want to fully gut that group - but if you picture rosen as a winger in the middle 6, and the plan is to have those spots occupied by some combo of Benson, Savoie, Kulich, and vets - you should move him now before he sits in the AHL too long and loses his value.  

As far as dealing the 11th pick, I see it as there are two options:

1. Move some existing prospects in a package to get a Top 6 forward or some prospects to get impact players for the now with some term.

3. Keep the current prospects we have and use pick #11 to get a player for the now.

If we choose Option 1, I would definitely keep Pick 11, as that player develops, we will be able to utilize the prospect on his ELC in 2-3 years given our cap will get tighter at that point.

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You seemed to be treating Wikipedia as a news source. One scenario to consider is that Jeff's agent or Jeff's "people" curate his Wiki page, and that's where the news will be broken. No one will believe it tho lol.

I always do treat wikipedia as a 'news source' that is most of the time correct, but not all the time. Once again, hence the exact way I worded my oringinal post....asking the way I did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Very few seem to get this.   Winning a trade is not the point of making a trade.  

Take the Mitts-Byram trade.   Lets all buy in to the notion that Byram has more upside and will be the better player, even if that never happens.  Did the Sabres get better?   So far I say no because the hole left by Mitts is much greater than whatever Byram is bringing on defense. 

Until they add a center at Mitts level or better, the team was weakened by the trade.  They have the picks/prospects to add a 2C and they need to do it.   

I can rant about the Cozens contract next.  He is playing 3C level of hockey (sometime less), yet people say I am wrong to want Adams to add a 2C, all because Cozens makes 2C money.   Not my fault that Adams blew the Cozens contract, along with Ullmark, Reinhart, etc.   

I think it’s too early to say he blew the Cozens contract. Cozens had a career year then everyone but a few all had down years. I’m hoping that was a fluke bad year for a lot of these guys.

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I think it’s too early to say he blew the Cozens contract. Cozens had a career year then everyone but a few all had down years. I’m hoping that was a fluke bad year for a lot of these guys.

Sure, Cozens may someday be worth the contract but he had a "career year" for what was a 3 year career.   

Only time will tell.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Kevyn Adams was on Sabres Live and mentioned no final decision has been made on a Jeff Skinner  Buyout 

Clearly indicated IMO that they are trying to trade him and have gotten some interest. He had some line about when he gets an offer for a player like Skinner he has to take that to the player and get a feel for what they are thinking because of the NMC.

• Agree 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Clearly indicated IMO that they are trying to trade him and have gotten some interest. He had some line about when he gets an offer for a player like Skinner he has to take that to the player and get a feel for what they are thinking because of the NMC.

I hope we trade rather than buy out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, USMCSnyper said:

I hope we trade rather than buy out.

to be truthful, I think that might be a long shot. Skinner could get 2/3 of his remaining cash and fill more than that last 1/3 in a new deal (he's going to get more on the open market than 3x3mil). 

That 2/3 is the buyout he gets. 

Darren Dreger says there is clearly interest in trading for Jeff Skinner. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

to be truthful, I think that might be a long shot. Skinner could get 2/3 of his remaining cash and fill more than that last 1/3 in a new deal (he's going to get more on the open market than 3x3mil). 

That 2/3 is the buyout he gets. 

Darren Dreger says there is clearly interest in trading for Jeff Skinner. 

So the buyout leak is out there as an attempt to leverage Jeff into being more flexible as to where he will waive?

Dreger on trading Jeff Skinner:

Sabres would retain money in a Skinner trade and there has been interest. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So the buyout leak is out there as an attempt to leverage Jeff into being more flexible as to where he will waive?

idk if it is much leverage. He can get 2/3 of the remaining money owed and easily get more than the 1/3 he's missing out on. A bet a lot of teams will look at the good years with Eichel and Tage and be like, you know, his issue is that team sucks but he's really good at about 5mil a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Skinner in Ottawa on a line with Tkachuk would be worth the price of admission from an entertainment POV. 

Package Skinner (with some salary retention) with whatever combination of players/picks/prospects for Brady.   

Change the complexion of the team a bit.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Package Skinner (with some salary retention) with whatever combination of players/picks/prospects for Brady.   

Change the complexion of the team a bit.  

Tom Brady retired

• Haha (+1) 1

Did he really not publicly deny, or “no comment” a buyout scenario?  Skinner has value and to even indicate a possible buyout would weaken your position in a  trade negotiation.  Or am I missing something? 

The world knows he has a NMC but if he’s not wanted I’m sure he’s opened up at least 2 or 3 destinations he’d go to.  I’d play semi-hard ball (with negotiable retention) and hold him for another year if nothing came of it.  

7 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Did he really not publicly deny, or “no comment” a buyout scenario?  Skinner has value and to even indicate a possible buyout would weaken your position in a  trade negotiation.  Or am I missing something? 

The world knows he has a NMC but if he’s not wanted I’m sure he’s opened up at least 2 or 3 destinations he’d go to.  I’d play semi-hard ball (with negotiable retention) and hold him for another year if nothing came of it.  

Other GMs aren’t dumb lol

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

it says he's willing to be aggressive 

Yes, and I am saying trading down in and of itself does not show a willingness to be aggressive. In fact, if nothing else happens, I’d argue it’s the complete opposite. He’s willing to sit back and let the cards land as they may. 

• Agree 1