Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

No reason to keep this pick whatsoever and should be very sought after considering we’re 1 of the few willing to trade it openly in an interesting draft class.

Sure.  How many teams want to give up a player worth 11th overall?  

39 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sure.  How many teams want to give up a player worth 11th overall?  

That is tricky part. You need a partner that is rebuilding and/or cap crunched really bad. Rebuilding teams make the most sense as partners - as I believe the cap crunch thing is overrated. Teams always seem to 'figure it out'. So unless we really know who is rebuilding...and does that team have an asset they want to move...I am going to go out on a limb guess the Sabres use their 11th pick to select a player in the draft. 

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

We have zero need for a 1C or 2C, we already have Thompson and Cozens; it would be a bonus if we got a 2C that allowed Cozens to play 2LW 

I like them both but They combined for 56 assists last year.  I want a solid plan not a hope they return to 23-23 numbers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

We have zero need for a 1C or 2C, we already have Thompson and Cozens; it would be a bonus if we got a 2C that allowed Cozens to play 2LW 

I don't know about that.  If we can land a 2C what is wrong with TT as your 1C and Cozens your 3C? 

We cannot have Krebs as a 3C and Jost as  the 4C, which is how we finished the season.  That just cannot happen. 

We need to add a 2C and a 4C IMO.  Lets get strong up the middle.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don't know about that.  If we can land a 2C what is wrong with TT as your 1C and Cozens your 3C? 

We cannot have Krebs as a 3C and Jost as  the 4C, which is how we finished the season.  That just cannot happen. 

We need to add a 2C and a 4C IMO.  Lets get strong up the middle.  

7.5M for a 3C is asinine.

26 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Sports radio out here in Vancouver seems to think there will be a market for Skinner if he's cut loose, based on not many scorers available. Good luck with that.

The guys on XM said of all the rumored buyouts the Skinner one makes the least sense.  Their rationale is Sabres aren’t anywhere near a cup contender so why make a move like that.  Said you only make a move like that if you need cap space for a player you think will get you over the hump. 

26 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Agree but it is what it is.  The only rationale I can see for trading Mitts is KA realizes that center spine would be way too young and wants to bring in a vet.  Hopefully he now understands the blocking prospect philosophy was erroneous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Probably.  If you are referring to Cozens, he will eventually produce more but he should play on the line that helps the team the most.  

If we get someone that improves on Mitts he would push Cozens down, which might help him and the team a lot.  Ruff isn’t going to think about contracts when making his lines. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

Do people think Adams was ever planning to implement a “no blocking” philosophy in perpetuity?

It was put in place primarily to ensure Thompson, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Dahlin, Samuelsson and Jokiharju would get hard minutes in 21/22 for development purposes.

Then to give Krebs, Peterka, Quinn, Power and the goalies an open path in more typical rookie roles for the same reason the following year.

Benson and Johnson weren’t on the team last year because of “no-blocking”, they were there because Olofsson and Eric Johnson fell on their faces.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do people think Adams was ever planning to implement a “no blocking” philosophy in perpetuity?

It was put in place primarily to ensure Thompson, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Dahlin, Samuelsson and Jokiharju would get hard minutes in 21/22 for development purposes.

Then to give Krebs, Peterka, Quinn, Power and the goalies an open path in more typical rookie roles for the same reason the following year.

Benson and Johnson weren’t on the team last year because of “no-blocking”, they were there because Olofsson and Eric Johnson fell on their faces.

I believe he thought we’d be further ahead by this time.   Not sure it ever makes sense on the scale we did.  Certainly the fans didn’t buy in.

Get some vets on 2-3 year contracts and make the prospects out play them.  If Skinner is moving on use the savings to shop in the high tier market. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

The guys on XM said of all the rumored buyouts the Skinner one makes the least sense.  Their rationale is Sabres aren’t anywhere near a cup contender so why make a move like that.  Said you only make a move like that if you need cap space for a player you think will get you over the hump. 

Sorry if I missed it but does anyone know how much cap space we have available this offseason prior to the buyout? I kind of agree with this post.

long term is it not better to atleast eat one more year and then buy out next offseason?  Only benefit I see is if we actually use the cap savings this year.  That in itself is exciting but it’s been awhile since we’ve spent big on salary.  If this truly is for cap purposes I can’t help but think it may be a fun offseason. 

41 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

I believe he thought we’d be further ahead by this time.   Not sure it ever makes sense on the scale we did.  Certainly the fans didn’t buy in.

Get some vets on 2-3 year contracts and make the prospects out play them.  If Skinner is moving on use the savings to shop in the high tier market. 

The fans were fully bought in during the spring of ‘23.

It was that summer when they started to doubt when they ignored the goalie question, didn’t fill for Quinn’s injury and only brought in depth guys on D. I’d say only the goalie decision had anything to do with blocking.

But I agree with your 2nd paragraph entirely.

28 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Sorry if I missed it but does anyone know how much cap space we have available this offseason prior to the buyout? I kind of agree with this post.

long term is it not better to atleast eat one more year and then buy out next offseason?  Only benefit I see is if we actually use the cap savings this year.  That in itself is exciting but it’s been awhile since we’ve spent big on salary.  If this truly is for cap purposes I can’t help but think it may be a fun offseason. 

23.5M. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Paul Maurice coached Skinner in Carolina and had Vlad Tarasenko this season who plays defense as well as Jeff does. 

Also Peter DeBoer was his coach in Juniors. 

Dallas and Florida are possibilities. 

His GF lives in Nashville, I wonder if they would be a target for him 

Edited by Brawndo

1 hour ago, Mr Peabody said:

For us, the hump is the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

23.5M. 

This is the correct answer and I know that you’re just giving the raw $ number (Not suggesting you are being misleading). Unless they do something unexpected though, at least $8 million of that and as much as $11 million, is going to UPL, Joker, Krebs and Bryson. That still leaves money to do some meaningful stuff, but close to half of that $23.5 could be gone on existing RFA’s. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

This is the correct answer and I know that you’re just giving the raw $ number (Not suggesting you are being misleading). Unless they do something unexpected though, at least $8 million of that and as much as $11 million, is going to UPL, Joker, Krebs and Bryson. That still leaves money to do some meaningful stuff, but close to half of that $23.5 could be gone on existing RFA’s. 

Skinner’s buyout adds 7.5m to this so it’s 31m

11 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Still feels like plenty of room.  I’m not seeing big picture yet.  Unless there are some big moves coming, I’m not sure why they do this now.  They still have decent space to replace skinner in the top 6 and just have him play lower in the lineup or in the press box as depth in case of injury.  Overpaid sure but don’t know why were extending the cap hit longer when it seems we have the space next season anyway?

Edited by Derrico
  • Like (+1) 1