Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Is it done already ? 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think it technically has to wait until like 11pm tonight or something

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

48 hours after the Finals ended.

They have until 5:00 PM June 30th to get it done. If they don't do it at the beginning of the window, they may wait until closer to that deadline on the off chance that they can actually deal him somewhere.

Just now, ExWNYer said:

They have until 5:00 PM June 30th to get it done. If they don't do it at the beginning of the window, they may wait until closer to that deadline on the off chance that they can actually deal him somewhere.

Yes, that is when the window closes.  The question was when does the window open.

Personally, would be very surprised if it doesn't happen sometime tomorrow as a courtesy to Skinner.  Adams says he speaks often with all the GMs in the league.  He already knows if anybody running a team Jeff might be willing to get traded to has any interest in him.  Skinner went above and beyond in helping to market the team (even if his efforts on the ice rarely were the keys to victory), in additional to "Between 2 Staals" he also was part of the very 1st (Zoom only) Blue and Gold Insights (along with Mittelstadt).  He's tried to do right by the Sabres and Adams preaches doing right by people, so expect it'll be official tomorrow morning if a trade isn't there.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I don’t recall hearing a single player’s name we could realistically get to use with the cap savings from a buyout.  Until I see that I’m not convinced it’s the right move. IMO the area of need is a #1 or 2 center. 

• dislike 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Yes, that is when the window closes.  The question was when does the window open.

Personally, would be very surprised if it doesn't happen sometime tomorrow as a courtesy to Skinner.  Adams says he speaks often with all the GMs in the league.  He already knows if anybody running a team Jeff might be willing to get traded to has any interest in him.  Skinner went above and beyond in helping to market the team (even if his efforts on the ice rarely were the keys to victory), in additional to "Between 2 Staals" he also was part of the very 1st (Zoom only) Blue and Gold Insights (along with Mittelstadt).  He's tried to do right by the Sabres and Adams preaches doing right by people, so expect it'll be official tomorrow morning if a trade isn't there.

I had heard that the window actually opened at noon today, not 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final. That may be erroneous info because I can't seem to find verification of that noon time frame anywhere.

• Thanks (+1) 1

The Skinner acquisition was great. The Skinner UFA deal was the travesty. Again, if he is a minor player in a strong room he is a valuable asset. But he isn’t a leader in the locker room and not a fit for the team. I also agree, we have cheaper players who fill his role who have grown up. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

I don’t recall hearing a single player’s name we could realistically get to use with the cap savings from a buyout.  Until I see that I’m not convinced it’s the right move. IMO the area of need is a #1 or 2 center. 

Which part did you disagree with?  My first point was buying JS is not addition by subtraction and my second point (admittedly not clear) is if you’re going to buy him out you absolutely need to use the cap savings on a center that could play in the top two lines. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Skinner also waived his NMC for the expansion draft so that the Sabres could protect someone else on the roster, which was a decent thing to do for the team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

Why is it tied into the bouncyball championship?

Because we (here on this board) use English as our primary language and don't all feel the reflexive need to bow to everything Francophile and remove the 's' off words that typically have them associated with them.  It's still Labatt's to some of us, gosh durn it.  (Or, for Fearless Leader, it's still offsides to some of us.)  😉 

Edited by Taro T

19 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Which part did you disagree with?  My first point was buying JS is not addition by subtraction and my second point (admittedly not clear) is if you’re going to buy him out you absolutely need to use the cap savings on a center that could play in the top two lines. 

We have zero need for a 1C or 2C, we already have Thompson and Cozens; it would be a bonus if we got a 2C that allowed Cozens to play 2LW 

• Agree 1

Given our cap space, this move only makes sense if we plan on using that extra $7.5m this season.

The easiest / cheapest way is probably trading for decent players who are a little overpaid for their ability and whose contracts end within the next two years.

As right now we are losing an offensive top-6 player who scored goals - something we struggled to do all season - with no replacement

3 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Given our cap space, this move only makes sense if we plan on using that extra $7.5m this season.

The easiest / cheapest way is probably trading for decent players who are a little overpaid for their ability and whose contracts end within the next two years.

As right now we are losing an offensive top-6 player who scored goals - something we struggled to do all season - with no replacement

While that is the preferred reason for it that does make buying Skinner out make sense, there is one other reason it makes sense.  Lindy Ruff might see keeping him on the team when he's trying to teach a young team how to play in its own end when he has about 12 years of examples of how Skinner is incapable of doing that for any but the briefest of stretches and Skinner is respected and liked by the young guys on the team might be counterproductive and actually detrimental to installing that lesson/ defensive system.  And if it's going to cause the rest of the team to continue to be bad in their own end, he might see letting a guy that will score 20-35 goals on a 3rd line that is well liked go as a net positive even though it does cost the team 20-35 goals and a teammate that is liked in the room and is the favorite player of many fans (not this particular fan, but many nonetheless).

• Like (+1) 1

Is there an argument that a sacrifice needed to be made to show the room that all the talk about accountability isn’t just hollow, and Jeff was the logical sacrifice on many levels?

• Like (+1) 5

44 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Skinner also waived his NMC for the expansion draft so that the Sabres could protect someone else on the roster, which was a decent thing to do for the team. 

That person was Tage btw.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Pisses me off because he'll go sign in Toronto and score 35 goals

You worry way too much about what might happen.  The only thing that matters is the Sabres get better for it (or not).

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is there an argument that a sacrifice needed to be made to show the room that all the talk about accountability isn’t just hollow, and Jeff was the logical sacrifice on many levels?

Of course. Just like using the savings to improve the team and/or trading the top pick are signals that we're trying to become an NHL team again. IMHO KA's inaction at the deadline season before last and tepid summer of 23 led directly to disappointment on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No.  

People were saying this about the Mitts trade too. That maybe the core was too comfortable.   Nonsense. 

The Skinner contract was a bad one and it time to move in from it.  It’s that simple.