Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Losing Marner would really hurt the Leafs. He makes them go. He gets crapped on for the playoff failures but he is a regular season superstar.

He is the playmaker that makes Matthews go. If he is gone I think Matthews production tails off.  Skinner would do nothing to help that.

And Marner PKs where Skinner is allergic to his own end.

Again, this was just thinking out loud as a way for the Leafs to redistribute their roster, not to replace Marner 1v1 with Skinner. 

So Skinner is suddenly going to play like one of those guys from game 7 the other night.  

His style is what the Leafs are missing?

LOL.  He doesn’t and never had that game in him.  He wants to have fun score goals make money and be a fake nuisance that just makes the other team want to punch his face in.  Can’t be like he is if you have absolutely zero toughness to you.  Just can’t.

Talking the Skinner buyout on Vancouver radio right now and comparing it to the Ekman-Larson buyout the Canucks did last year: costly, and for a useful player, but it opened up needed flexibility for them to make needed moves.

Thought it was interesting, especially given the other similarities in our path compared to our expansion cousins

• Lengthy stretch of disappointing seasons
  • A 92 point upswing followed by a drop to 83 and fan base ready to burn it down
  • Core players having down years at the same time
  • Firing nice guy coach for veteran old school guy
  • Adding a mobile top 4 defenceman
  • Serious upgrades to the bottom 6 (still just talk at this point for Buffalo)

The Ekman-Larsson buyout is very similar to Skinner's ($18M over 3 years, bought out over 6 under a similar schedule) and the criticisms of his game/fit were similar as well.

Of course OEL then went on to win the cup 😁

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Thanks for Between Two Stalls and for being a classy player on and off the ice.  Thank you for your goals and your efforts.  While you're not a complete player you did try.  Thanks Jeff.  Good luck!

• Like (+1) 2

Chad DeDominicis said this morning (radio) that he thinks the buyout is part money/cap savings, part hockey move, part roster construction...but the crux of the move is a lineup thing as the Sabres don't believe that Skinner is a top 6 fit for them any longer. He also said they need to use the cap savings to make moves. We'll see. From your lips, Chad...

Added tidbits:

1) As of now, he thinks the Sabres will stay put at #11.

2) Said they should/could target Devils D John Marino, if he becomes available.

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Full. No. Movement. Clause. 

*****, forgot about that... Friggin JB strikes again!

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well as soon as Skinner signs with a new team, I am betting my house and retirement on them to win the Cup in 2025. 

Probably right but I'd doubt it would be because of him like Eichel, almost all of the Florida Panthers or Ryan O'Reilly. 

58 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Chad DeDominicis said this morning (radio) that he thinks the buyout is part money/cap savings, part hockey move, part roster construction...but the crux of the move is a lineup thing as the Sabres don't believe that Skinner is a top 6 fit for them any longer. He also said they need to use the cap savings to make moves. We'll see. From your lips, Chad...

Added tidbits:

I still just don’t equate trading pick 11 with win now.  It might help so that but it’s just not trade 11 = better team now 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

I still just don’t equate trading pick 11 with win now.  It might help so that but it’s just not trade 11 = better team now 

The "must trade #11 at all costs" movement is over-the-top.

The correct button is "trade assets that can help down the road for assets that can help now"

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Added tidbits:

Lindy loves Marino in NJ, and he plays a defense-focused game. I think he's be a great pick-up

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

WRT "better mean more", I think most if not all of us are of the same mindset...we'll believe it when we see it. From a purely financial perspective, the buyout makes perfect sense. The real or actual money to paid out over the remaining term on the contract would be around $21M - $22M whereas a buyout would bring that down to around $7M. It's a sunk cost either way but that $7M could be used to make arena improvements, add players, or.......simplywhereas upgrade the Pegula yacht.

Pretty sure you knew this and meant to post it that way, but the actual $ savings will be ~$7MM.  Skinner will receive 2/3's of what remains on his deal but over 6 years rather than 3.  So, if he's stilll owed ~$21MM he'll end up with ~$14MM gross.

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The correct button is "trade assets that can help down the road for assets that can help now"

What if the new COO is either trying to resurrect the fan base by his own urging or working at the behest of the owner? Get Lindy. Jettison Skinner. Bring in a lughead to energize the crowd. Trade the 11th pick, whatever you do, to give a strong signal to the fans. It's gotta be more than a new scoreboard and organic cilantro in the salsa.

Again I say... Save us, Guelli!

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure you knew this and meant to post it that way, but the actual $ savings will be ~$7MM.  Skinner will receive 2/3's of what remains on his deal but over 6 years rather than 3.  So, if he's stilll owed ~$21MM he'll end up with ~$14MM gross.

Yeah, I meant to say that the Sabres would save approximately $7M by buying him out, not that the hit would drop from $21M to $7M. I was multi-tasking and trying to work, as well. I should have proofread before posting. My apologies for any confusion. 🍻 

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No reason to keep this pick whatsoever and should be very sought after considering we’re 1 of the few willing to trade it openly in an interesting draft class.

Edited by GoPuckYourself