Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Pisses me off because he'll go sign in Toronto and score 35 goals

he probably fits in decently well with that team's style. it would not be a bad move for them.................wicked cackling laugh ensues.....

Terrible contract ends predictably.

This better mean more than simply cost-cutting or some kind of malformed “addition by subtraction” scheme.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This better mean more than simply cost-cutting or some kind of malformed “addition by subtraction” scheme.

Who would be surprised if that wasn't exactly what it is?

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Reposting for those who missed it on the previous page. Chad DeDominicis is reporting that Jeff Skinner will be bought out if a trade does not materialize which seems unlikely (the trade part)

Edited by LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Skinner's contract really was one of the very worst moves the Sabres have made in this whole misbegotten era.  Well done JB!

As for the buyout, it strikes me that there are a number of possible reasons for it, with a corresponding range of indicators as to whether this bodes well for the franchise:

- Worst case:  the buyout is simply to save the cash.

- Medium case but still not great:  addition by subtraction -- i.e. the buyout is because KA or Lindy or both have had a long look at Skinner and decided that they simply cannot win with him on the roster -- but they don't intend to use the freed-up cap space on any significant additions.  This would be positive in the sense that it would demonstrate a willingness to cut their losses and spend a lot of $$ for someone to not play here, but that's pretty much the only positive.

- Best case:  they are going to use the cap space on a significant addition or 2 from the outside whom they've already identified and are going to act decisively to secure those additions.  This would obviously be great, depending of course on how well the additions pan out.  Like most here though, I'm at the point where I'll believe it when I see it.

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Movement already started here 

Dude.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They have to replace his goals, and that does not mean expect more goals from Peterka, Benson and Quinn.  We already expect more from all of them, they were 23rd in scoring as a team with Skinner, not nearly good enough.   

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

I don’t get the connection?  They are worlds apart as players. 

They are but the connection is the Leafs could shed salary and get a nice haul to augment a top heavy roster while signing Skinner to a cheaper deal and still gettin 30g and 30a or so. It helps offset losing Marner while they rebalance a roster that clearly needs it. It would free up 10mil - Skinner at say 5mil while allowing them to get assets, redistribute that money to the defense or to the NHL player they get for Marner (would assume they get NHL player, high end prospect, 1st round pick, something else). 

Just thinking out loud if the Leafs wanted to do some things that might make them better long term. 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

5 minutes ago, ... said:

Who would be surprised if that wasn't exactly what it is?

WRT "better mean more", I think most if not all of us are of the same mindset...we'll believe it when we see it. From a purely financial perspective, the buyout makes perfect sense. The real or actual money to paid out over the remaining term on the contract would be around $21M - $22M whereas a buyout would bring that down to around $7M. It's a sunk cost either way but that $7M could be used to make arena improvements, add players, or.......simply upgrade the Pegula yacht.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Skinner's contract really was one of the very worst moves the Sabres have made in this whole misbegotten era.  Well done JB!

As for the buyout, it strikes me that there are a number of possible reasons for it, with a corresponding range of indicators as to whether this bodes well for the franchise:

- Worst case:  the buyout is simply to save the cash.

- Medium case but still not great:  addition by subtraction -- i.e. the buyout is because KA or Lindy or both have had a long look at Skinner and decided that they simply cannot win with him on the roster -- but they don't intend to use the freed-up cap space on any significant additions.  This would be positive in the sense that it would demonstrate a willingness to cut their losses and spend a lot of $$ for someone to not play here, but that's pretty much the only positive.

- Best case:  they are going to use the cap space on a significant addition or 2 from the outside whom they've already identified and are going to act decisively to secure those additions.  This would obviously be great, depending of course on how well the additions pan out.  Like most here though, I'm at the point where I'll believe it when I see it.

Dude.

I think that contract was a Kim and Terry mandate to keep him right? They were bidding against themselves

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

WRT "better mean more", I think most if not all of us are of the same mindset...we'll believe it when we see it. From a purely financial perspective, the buyout makes perfect sense. The real or actual money to paid out over the remaining term on the contract would be around $21M - $22M whereas a buyout would bring that down to around $7M. It's a sunk cost either way but that $7M could be used to make arena improvements, add players, or.......simply upgrade the Pegula yacht.

Here we sit, all of us are skeptical on how they will use the savings.   

We are so far from the days of "drill another well" and "hockey heaven".  

This could the most important off season for the franchise since the Pegula Era started.  

• Agree 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

They are but the connection is the Leafs could shed salary and get a nice haul to augment a top heavy roster while signing Skinner to a cheaper deal and still gettin 30g and 30a or so. It helps offset losing Marner while they rebalance a roster that clearly needs it. It would free up 10mil - Skinner at say 5mil while allowing them to get assets, redistribute that money to the defense or to the NHL player they get for Marner (would assume they get NHL player, high end prospect, 1st round pick, something else). 

Just thinking out loud if the Leafs wanted to do some things that might make them better long term. 

Fair enough. I just don’t think that a Skinner signing would even register as a factor in what the Leafs can do if they move Marner. 

3 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

I think that contract was a Kim and Terry mandate to keep him right? They were bidding against themselves

Terry wanted him signed while Botts supposedly was going to let him walk.

A perfect replacement would be Mangiapane out of Calgary, had a down year last year but has scored 30 and plays solid in both ends. 1x5.8mil which fits the Skinner savings rather well.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Terry wanted him signed while Botts supposedly was going to let him walk.

A perfect replacement would be Mangiapane out of Calgary, had a down year last year but has scored 30 and plays solid in both ends. 1x5.8mil which fits the Skinner savings rather well.

Then we can start a thread on eating bread.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

Utah Hockey Club has 51M in projected cap space, give them a 2nd or 3rd rounder to take Skinner off your hands instead of a buyout.

Full. No. Movement. Clause. 

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Utah Hockey Club has 51M in projected cap space, give them a 2nd or 3rd rounder to take Skinner off your hands instead of a buyout.

NMC

That is the problem more than likely.

Isn't weird how a buyout of a NMC still sends the player through waivers?

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 2

Losing Marner would really hurt the Leafs. He makes them go. He gets crapped on for the playoff failures but he is a regular season superstar.

He is the playmaker that makes Matthews go. If he is gone I think Matthews production tails off.  Skinner would do nothing to help that.

And Marner PKs where Skinner is allergic to his own end.