Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

But, you know, I always try to be careful with what I say unless I 100% know. So I can't say 100% it's going to happen, but it's definitely out there.

This statement is so self-contradictory.

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So basically both parties haven't said anything indicating that he will be bought out.  Unless Kevyn is purposely leaking information or there is a mole in the Sabres org, any talk of a Skinner buyout is straight up speculation.

Yup

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sabrespace: We need to get bigger and better defensively. Also Sabrespace: not Greenway!

Sabrespace: We need to add a top 4 defenceman. Also Sabrespace: not Byram!

Sabrespace: We need to trade one of the young guys to shake up the core. Also Sabrespace: not Mittelstadt!

Sabrespace: We need to be more accountable and start playing the right way. Also Sabrespace: not Skinner!

There is no such thing as a hive mind around here. 😄

The takeaway is that not everyone on Sabrespace agrees on these issues.  So what?

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Yup

I think Skinner scores 35-40 this year regardless of where he plays.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

The takeaway is that not everyone on Sabrespace agrees on these issues.  So what?

Probably. Which is kinda the thing, how are we replacing his 35g and adding another 25g? I'm all for buying him out next year when Benson and Savoie, and Kulich are older. 

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This statement is so self-contradictory.

Trusted source: "It's not done yet and maybe there's a chance it may not happen, but the sabres look like they're going to buy out Skinner. I know (guy who should know) says Skinner's agency has been warned. They're trying to keep this quiet while the agency looks for an alternative, so you definitely cannot report this as done or in any way tie it to me."

Friedman: "But, you know, I always try to be careful with what I say unless I 100% know. So I can't say 100% it's going to happen, but it's definitely out there."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5573705/2024/06/19/sabres-jeff-skinner-buyout/

Skinner isn’t going to accept a trade. Why should he? The team’s he’ll be interested in going to probably don’t have the interest or the cap space to accommodate Skinner even at a 50% retention. 

The Sabres should have tried to trade him at the deadline to a contender needing scoring.  Maybe they did try and it didn’t hit the news, but I doubt it.  The biggest issue with the trade from a Sabres standpoint is the asset they’d have to include in the deal besides retention to get a deal done.  

I’d only buy him out if they need the saving this year and next to accommodate a high end incoming player that helps the team go for it now.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Trusted source: "It's not done yet and maybe there's a chance it may not happen, but the sabres look like they're going to buy out Skinner. I know (guy who should know) says Skinner's agency has been warned. They're trying to keep this quiet while the agency looks for an alternative, so you definitely cannot report this as done or in any way tie it to me."

Friedman: "But, you know, I always try to be careful with what I say unless I 100% know. So I can't say 100% it's going to happen, but it's definitely out there."

Friedman (paraphrasing):  "I don't report stuff that's not 100%, but here's something I heard that's not 100%."

• Like (+1) 1

It’s time to move on from Skinny. If nothing else, it is an example to all the young guys. Even if you have a thousand games and 9$m in your pocket, it is expected that you play a 200 foot game. It also creates space for a trade acquisition or Murray, Biro or Kulich. They need the ice time more than we need Skinny this year. If a trade is possible, fine. If not buy him out Pegs.

I don’t think this board or Sabres fans in general would lose any sleep if the Sabres buy out Skinner.  Jeff has played some good hockey for the Sabres (and some bad).  His videos have been entertaining, but I think everyone is pretty much ready to move on.  The falloff in his scoring last season coupled with his inability or unwillingness to play two way hockey has made the fan base willing to say goodbye.  

The reaction to a buy out would lead to positive speculation as to whom they plan to bring in and questions about replace his scoring, but little to no anger or rancor.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d only buy him out if they need the saving this year and next to accommodate a high end incoming player that helps the team go for it now.  

Or multiple useful players.

There's no point doing it if they aren't going to spend the money.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5573705/2024/06/19/sabres-jeff-skinner-buyout/

Skinner isn’t going to accept a trade. Why should he? The team’s he’ll be interested in going to probably don’t have the interest or the cap space to accommodate Skinner even at a 50% retention. 

The Sabres should have tried to trade him at the deadline to a contender needing scoring.  Maybe they did try and it didn’t hit the news, but I doubt it.  The biggest issue with the trade from a Sabres standpoint is the asset they’d have to include in the deal besides retention to get a deal done.  

Hold up.  This makes no sense. Teams have way more flexibility in the summer than trade deadline. The contenders have a much easier time fitting 4.5mil in then they would have in March. 

Just now, dudacek said:

Correct.  I’d be very annoyed if we buy him out and the Sabres are $8 mill under the cap entering the season. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Considering what the "official" shopping list is, not entirely convinced they'd spend to the cap minus Skinner's full cap hit.  And if they aren't going to go to the cap minus his hit, then wait until next off-season to make the determination whether to cut him or not.

Heck, it is not outside the realm of possibility that under Ruff he ends up in a situation where he is firmly in the bottom 6 and decides on his own that maybe getting traded elsewhere to play further from home for 2+ years isn't such a bad thing after all.  

And this comment has little to do with the subject at hand, but found it interesting leaving the MMArena last week and seeing on the outside of the building photos of Priolo (Captain of the Bandits), Tuch (Captain Candidate for the Sabres), Dahlin (Captain Candidate for the Sabres), Skinner (NOT a Captain Candidate for the Sabres), and then somebody else whose photo was blocked by a stanchion on the far side of the revolving doors they no longer use for entry into the building.  No idea why Skinner's photo was up with those others, but as stated above, found it interesting that it was.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Correct.  I’d be very annoyed if we buy him out and the Sabres are $8 mill under the cap entering the season. 

To me, it's about Skinner not being a player they want getting prime ice time any more and him being a net negative player if he's in a lesser role.

It's kinda like the Diggs trade. He can still play, but the team feels its better off big picture making the move.

The Sabres don't necessarily have to spend up to the cap, but they have to make follow-up moves that show a top 9 that looks more effective than it did before they cut him.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Considering what the "official" shopping list is, not entirely convinced they'd spend to the cap minus Skinner's full cap hit.  And if they aren't going to go to the cap minus his hit, then wait until next off-season to make the determination whether to cut him or not.

Heck, it is not outside the realm of possibility that under Ruff he ends up in a situation where he is firmly in the bottom 6 and decides on his own that maybe getting traded elsewhere to play further from home for 2+ years isn't such a bad thing after all.  

And this comment has little to do with the subject at hand, but found it interesting leaving the MMArena last week and seeing on the outside of the building photos of Priolo (Captain of the Bandits), Tuch (Captain Candidate for the Sabres), Dahlin (Captain Candidate for the Sabres), Skinner (NOT a Captain Candidate for the Sabres), and then somebody else whose photo was blocked by a stanchion on the far side of the revolving doors they no longer use for entry into the building.  No idea why Skinner's photo was up with those others, but as stated above, found it interesting that it was.

I think Skinner's likability to the marketing department far outweighs his likability to his coaches.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hold up.  This makes no sense. Teams have way more flexibility in the summer than trade deadline. The contenders have a much easier time fitting 4.5mil in then they would have in March. 

I disagree.  There would be more interest from a contender in a player like Skinner at the deadline than in the offseason.  Also look through capfriendly, how many teams who Skinner would want to play for would have an interest in a player like Skinner and the money to accommodate him? He isn’t accepting a trade to SJ or AZ.  

The guy is from Tor and likes being close to home.  Tor and Mon don’t have cap space.  IDet has the space, but do you think Yzerman has an interest in a non two way player? 

Would Skinner accept a trade to Ott? I doubt it.

So what about contenders?  Fla has no cap space.  Either does TB or the NYR.  Colo needs to re-sign Mitts and Drouin.  Please show me a team that has space and an interest in Skinner that Skinner would accept a trade to.  I don’t think he has any interest in going out West unless Edm wants him to play with McDavid.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Disagree 1

I would love Toronto to pick him up. Drag them down like he has every team he has been on.

The trade market for him does not exist due to the term left on his deal. Did not do numbers but picking up 50 percent of his salary is more than just buying him out right?

Buying him out is the only decision that makes sense. He is a bad player who is a terrible influence on a team.

30 minutes ago, Cranky old man said:

It’s time to move on from Skinny. If nothing else, it is an example to all the young guys. Even if you have a thousand games and 9$m in your pocket, it is expected that you play a 200 foot game. It also creates space for a trade acquisition or Murray, Biro or Kulich. They need the ice time more than we need Skinny this year. If a trade is possible, fine. If not buy him out Pegs.

Murray or Biro? Really?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Sabrespace: We need to get bigger and better defensively. Also Sabrespace: not Greenway!

Sabrespace: We need to trade one of the young guys to shake up the core. Also Sabrespace: not Mittelstadt!

Sabrespace: We need to be more accountable and start playing the right way. Also Sabrespace: not Skinner!

Has anyone here said “not Skinner”?

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

What indication is there that he is going to score 40 next season?

18 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

It is bound to happen. And I believe it's this year for the sole reason some have stated. Lindy's taken control of the room.

Yes Adams is the GM, but you have to look at the falling short of the goal years. I believe Lindy was brought in to right the ship. He most likely looked at his beloved Sabres and said enough is enough.

Just my view of the situation is all.

If Lindy the coach can get them to the playoffs then we will see Lindy somewhere in the FO once his contract expires.  

I have been saying for a while now that Adams needed to pick a HC that can help him build an NHL roster.   One with NHL credibility and one that knows people all over the league.   Adams has acquired the pieces to make a few big trades happen but he lacked the experience to pull the trigger on big hockey trades.  Maybe now that will finally change.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don’t think he is a cancer. As others have said, he is popular with teammates.

What he is though, is not the solution to the Sabres problems. He is the highest paid forward but not the best player. He is a veteran player but has never worn a letter. He cheats defensively, which sends the wrong message to the young guys. He is difficult to coach because of the unpredictability of his game and the unwillingness to play a complete game.

I don’t care if he is bought out this year or next, I think a shake up is needed. If it happens now, how KA uses that cap space will show everyone wha his plan is to move this team forward and to keep his job. If he pulls the trigger and then makes a trade with Tampa to get Cirelli for picks/prospects/Krebs and get a couple of Goodrow types for the bottom 6 that is a net positive.

The cap space would allow him a lot of flexibility for this coming year and he needs to do better than Eric Robinson.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The falloff in his scoring last season

Yes, his scoring was down last year, but his scoring has always been up and down.  He scored 24 goals/46 points last year.  If you do a linear regression on his career, you would expect him to score 27G/52P this year.  If you look at all seasons played under coaches other than Krueger, you would expect him to score 33G/63A this year.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I like Greenway and adding guys like him for a 2nd round pick are the kinds of moves we should be making.  

We needed a top 4 defenseman.  I did not see enough from Byram to determine if he is the right guy but my first take is he is not.   I worry about paying him big money, along with big money to Dahlin and Power.   We will learn a lot about Byram this season.  

Shake up the Core, sure.  But see Byram above.  I am thinking in a LaFontaine/ Turgeon way.   We now have a hole at center and really need a 1C/2C to fix it, unless Tage and Cozens both can consistently play like they did two seasons ago.    We actually should add 2 centers since Krebs is still not there.  Lindy likes guys that can play both Center and Wing.  

More accountability?  Yes.  That means you Adams.   Skinner can be moved but not just to make room for a rookie.  Girgs can move along too as long as we replace his production and experience with winning experience. 

The 24-25 Sabres really should look a lot different. 

Lindy will want a few more centers, one that wins draws.  He will want more grit and and a true shut down line.   He will probably want 7 defenseman that get the job done and include some intimidation on the backline, which we don't have enough of.   I am tired of people hanging around UPL.  

As stated in anther thread, he will probably want a guy that will drop them without hesitation that the other teams have to be concerned about (and hopefully he can actually play hockey too).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Has anyone here said “not Skinner”?

13 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Am I the only one that thinks losing him will actually hurt us? (In the short term anyways. That contract will definitely bite us in the ass eventually).

Say what you want about his defence, but he has the 3rd best 5 on 5 goal % on the team behind only Peterka and Thompson.

Combine that with no Mittelstadt next year and I see us in a world of hurt offensively... Especially after how lackluster things were this year.

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’ve said it 

Hell I tweeted it 

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

In a vacuum I think buying out Skinner makes the Sabres worse.  Just like trading Mitts made the team worse.

If Kevyn made the complementary moves everyone on this forum thinks they need, then yes it could make the team better, but simply removing Skinner from the roster will not make the Sabres better without him.  Just like they were not better with Byram instead of Mitts.

When he traded Reino you could see the return and it is apparent Kevyn sees Levi as the goalie of the future.  When he traded Eichel he got Tuch (who has proven to be a team leader) plus another roster player (Krebs) plus 2022 first-round pick (Noah Östlund) and 2023 second-round pick (Riley Heidt- who?

When he traded Mitts he got Byram back in a one-for-one.  Maybe Byram will prove me wrong, but I just didn't see the need to bring in yet another young Dman and I don't think he fills an obviously need while losing Mitts created a big hole.

When you look at what Adams gave up versus what he got back in the Eichel and Reino trades, you could see the value proposition and how it benefited the Sabres.  Also, those trades where transformational in terms of changing the direction of team and the way the roster is constructed.  Trading Mitts created a hole that still needs to be filled, and losing Skinner would create yet another hole on offense, at a time when "transformation" should be done and the team should be competitive. 

22 hours ago, Mr Peabody said:

Wasn’t there a thread last summer asking if Skinner would be a HOF candidate?  We haven’t spent to the cap yet so his contract hasn’t impacted who we could sign.  

Rather than dumping Skinner I’d rather KA focus on getting a center first.  If that requires a buyout so be it.  Tage had an off year and as I’ve said before as his center goes, so goes Skinner.  He actually looked re-energized when they put him with Mitts.  Unless it’s a locker room issue he is way down the list of issues with this team.  

20 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

They should not do it this year because it does not make sense. That means it's definitely happening because I can't remember the last time the Sabres did anything right, honestly. Nothing they ever do makes sense, it's really quite remarkable how poorly run this org is, brutal.

On 6/18/2024 at 10:10 AM, mjd1001 said:

I struggle to think of why you would do this now instead of waiting another year. The Sabres have some potentially big contracts/decisions upcoming in the next few years. They have cap room THIS year to pay him. Why buy him out now, which will make the upcoming years a lot worse on the cap than simply waiting another year?

You don't want to play him, then "Ralph Krueger" him, but a buyout this year instead of next year makes little sense to me.

On 6/18/2024 at 10:34 AM, thewookie1 said:

There are big reasons why I wouldn't buy out Skinner

1. The cap is far more tolerable next year with a buyout

2. I don't want him to sign in Toronto on the cheap and give them a 30 goal scorer for free. You should see all the salivating people on Twitter hoping to give him a Duchene deal to play with the Leafs, Rangers, Vegas, etc. 

3. I have zero interest in buying out Skinner so we can turn around and spend it on Necas or like player.

I'd much rather trade him at 50% retention to be perfectly honest.

I will say this however; if Skinner departs; I'd be all for bringing P. Kane here on a 1x3mil deal with incentives. Defensively he's no better but he does bring legitimate playoff experience and drive.  

And people are taking my initial post far more seriously than it was intended.

I was just having a random chuckle about how even when we seem to agree on some things some times, we never completely agree on anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And people are taking my initial post far more seriously than it was intended.

I was just having a random chuckle about how even when we seem to agree on some things some times, we never completely agree on anything.

I missed your context, and it seems you did as well with some of the replies you quoted.

”in a vacuum” is a common theme.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1