Jeff Skinner rumors, trade and buyout speculation swirling

Flashsabre

https://x.com/FAN590/status/1803102269396689370/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1803102269396689370&currentTweetUser=FAN590

Wow, Friedman says it is out there around the league that a Jeff Skinner buyout is a possibility.  I kind of get the feeling that it could be coming.

A guy on another board that has been right on a lot of Sabres stuff over the years says Skinner is gone and won’t be on the team next season. Ruff’s answer to the question about Skinner at the Q&A screamed if I don’t want to talk about him because I know he’s gone.  We shall see.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://x.com/FAN590/status/1803102269396689370/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1803102269396689370&currentTweetUser=FAN590

Wow, Friedman says it is out there around the league that a Jeff Skinner buyout is a possibility.  I kind of get the feeling that it could be coming.

A guy on another board that has been right on a lot of Sabres stuff over the years says Skinner is gone and won’t be on the team next season. Ruff’s answer to the question about Skinner at the Q&A screamed if I don’t want to talk about him because I know he’s gone.  We shall see.

My hope is they find a trade partner and retain less than 3mil to get it done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I would do cart wheels if they do it but financially it does make more sense to wait one more year.    
Then again Adams may not think he has till next year and will be tempted to do it now and give him more money to spend on UFA's 

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I struggle to think of why you would do this now instead of waiting another year. The Sabres have some potentially big contracts/decisions upcoming in the next few years. They have cap room THIS year to pay him. Why buy him out now, which will make the upcoming years a lot worse on the cap than simply waiting another year?

You don't want to play him, then "Ralph Krueger" him, but a buyout this year instead of next year makes little sense to me.

The reason you do it now is if they think he is a cancer and his presence in the locker room and on the ice will hinder the message and type of game that Lindy wants to play. It would open up $7 million next season and maybe they have a big one year deal set up for someone they feel will help the team win more.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I struggle to think of why you would do this now instead of waiting another year. The Sabres have some potentially big contracts/decisions upcoming in the next few years. They have cap room THIS year to pay him. Why buy him out now, which will make the upcoming years a lot worse on the cap than simply waiting another year?

You don't want to play him, then "Ralph Krueger" him, but a buyout this year instead of next year makes little sense to me.

there is $7.6 million reason to do it now rather than wait.  Skinners cap hit would drop from $9mill to $1.4 million this year.   
KA feels the pressure of making the playoffs this year.... I think he pulls the trigger.   We will know Skinners future soon  enough, the buyout window opens up 48 hours after the Stanley cup is awarded 

• Agree 1

So we're on the same page, here is the reasoning for buying out this summer or next. You save cash no matter what, but there's less percentage of the cap available (even if its rising) in that final 2026-27 season of the contract, right when they might be looking to re-sign Tuch, while all the youngsters are already on their next contract. Thanks, Capfriendly!

Buy out this summer:
SEASON    INITIAL CAP HIT    SAVINGS    CAP HIT (BUF)
2024-25    $9,000,000    $7,555,555    $1,444,445
2025-26    $9,000,000    $4,555,555    $4,444,445
2026-27    $9,000,000    $2,555,555    $6,444,445
2027-28    $0                  -$2,444,445    $2,444,445
2028-29    $0                  -$2,444,445    $2,444,445
2029-30    $0                  -$2,444,445    $2,444,445

Buy out next summer:
2025-26    $9,000,000    $5,000,000    $4,000,000
2026-27    $9,000,000    $3,000,000    $6,000,000
2027-28    $0                  -$2,000,000    $2,000,000
2028-29    $0                  -$2,000,000    $2,000,000

From <https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/jeff-skinner> 

• Like (+1) 2

There are big reasons why I wouldn't buy out Skinner

1. The cap is far more tolerable next year with a buyout

2. I don't want him to sign in Toronto on the cheap and give them a 30 goal scorer for free. You should see all the salivating people on Twitter hoping to give him a Duchene deal to play with the Leafs, Rangers, Vegas, etc. 

3. I have zero interest in buying out Skinner so we can turn around and spend it on Necas or like player.

I'd much rather trade him at 50% retention to be perfectly honest.

I will say this however; if Skinner departs; I'd be all for bringing P. Kane here on a 1x3mil deal with incentives. Defensively he's no better but he does bring legitimate playoff experience and drive.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

So we're on the same page, here is the reasoning for buying out this summer or next. You save cash no matter what, but there's less percentage of the cap available (even if its rising) in that final 2026-27 season of the contract, right when they might be looking to re-sign Tuch, while all the youngsters are already on their next contract. Thanks, Capfriendly!

Buy out this summer:

Buy out next summer:

45 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The tea leaves don’t always point to where you think, but I’ve certainly noticed numerous signs that point to Skinner not being in their plans.

27 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The reason you do it now is if they think he is a cancer and his presence in the locker room and on the ice will hinder the message and type of game that Lindy wants to play. It would open up $7 million next season and maybe they have a big one year deal set up for someone they feel will help the team win more.

Not so much a cancer as a symbol of the change that they think is needed.

At the very least you move Quinn/Peterka/Benson up the depth chart and create roster space for “an addition who plays the right way”. Do you want Skinner on the top line or PP and if he’s not do you want him moping the way he has in Buffalo any time he’s been removed from that role?

But the cap space could be huge if they actually have plans to spend it. Theoretically, it allows you to replace Skinner with a $7M player without affecting your plans elsewhere on your roster. To me - someone who’s not a Skinner fan - that’s big.

Also fits with @tom webster’s report of Pegula needing to sign off on a big spend.

@Flashsabre @nfreeman I think the Skinner tweet is worthy of its own thread and this conversation should be moved there.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Buy out this summer:

Buy out next summer:

This year or next isn’t that big of a difference. I can believe he’s gone

Just now, triumph_communes said:

This year or next isn’t that big of a difference. I can believe he’s gone

Glad Lindy is leading the room 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

There are big reasons why I wouldn't buy out Skinner

1. The cap is far more tolerable next year with a buyout

2. I don't want him to sign in Toronto on the cheap and give them a 30 goal scorer for free. You should see all the salivating people on Twitter hoping to give him a Duchene deal to play with the Leafs, Rangers, Vegas, etc. 

3. I have zero interest in buying out Skinner so we can turn around and spend it on Necas or like player.

I'd much rather trade him at 50% retention to be perfectly honest.

I will say this however; if Skinner departs; I'd be all for bringing P. Kane here on a 1x3mil deal with incentives. Defensively he's no better but he does bring legitimate playoff experience and drive.  

Effectively trading Kane for Skinner is a big win in my books.

As is Skinner playing a regular shift in Toronto.

• Like (+1) 1

Someone proposed Skinner(3mil retained) to the Isles for JG Pageau

Pageau is pretty well shot but his 5 mil deal is a year shorter, avoids the cap hits years 4 through 6 and gives us a 3/4C player who's really good at faceoffs

• Like (+1) 1

I will be pretty surprised if they buy Skinner out.

If they do, though -- that would be a pretty substantial indication that they are determined to break out of the rut, and that TP wants to give Lindy a fighting chance.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Effectively trading Kane for Skinner is a big win in my books.

As is Skinner playing a regular shift in Toronto.

Skinner to Toronto would make so much sense. They don’t need to score more goals. But it’s Toronto, so it’s perfect. 

• Haha (+1) 2

The reason you're hearing about this is to force Skinner to accept a trade. If he gets bought out then he has to deal with that shame and its stench follows him around the rest of his career and beyond. If he allows a trade, he gets a chance to play out a contract honorably, possibly on a team that only expects him to be Jeff Skinner as opposed to a player that he is not.

It would be perfectly acceptable for it to be a complex trade for a piece that seems questionable on the surface, but might have the qualities Ruff and Addymns think could be transformed into something useful. So, like salary retention on our end, a late round pick going their way, another late round pick coming our way with, of course, the mystery player.

Edited by ...
my belly is dad-like, but not pregnant-like

13 minutes ago, ... said:

The reason you're hearing about this is to force Skinner to accept a trade. If he gets bought out then he has to deal with that shame and its stench follows him around the rest of his career and beyond. If he allows a trade, he gets a chance to play out a contract honorably, possibly on a team that only expects him to be Jeff Skinner as opposed to a player that he is not.

It would be perfectly acceptable for it to be a complex trade for a piece that seems questionable on the surface, but might have the qualities Ruff and Addymns think could be transformed into something useful. So, like salary retention on our end, a late round pick going their way, another late round pick coming our way with, of course, the mystery player.

But at the same time, floating buy out rumors also drops Skinners trade value. 

I have been critical of Adams on a lot of issues, but one thing a number of former players have commented on was that GMKA really put forth an effort to get guys into good situations outside of Buffalo.  I think it is in Skinners and Buffalo's best interest to keep the buyout speculation quite. 

I suspect Skinner's trade value is negative.  We would need to attach a substantial asset to get a team to take him, even at 50% retention.

I am no more down on Skinner than I ever was.  I have no reason to think he is a locker room cancer, I don't think he is a significant contributory factor to his teams always missing the playoffs (on balance, he has been a net-positive for his teams over his career, I think), it would not be at all shocking if he signed with another team, posted 30 goals and 60 points and made it to the playoffs. He just isn't worth $9 million and since we may well need the $4.5 - $5.0 million in cap space next season, that comes with a buyout this year or next, I think the time is right to strike and take advantage of the extra $7.5 million that you can use this year with a buy out before month-end. I do not understand how people can compare buyout numbers for this season and next season and continue to conclude that there is benefit to waiting.  The only substantive benefit to waiting comes 6 seasons from now in 2029-30.  By then the cap could be $100 million; the $2.44 million in dead cap in 2029-30 should just not be a factor in this.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

I suspect Skinner's trade value is negative.  We would need to attach a substantial asset to get a team to take him, even at 50% retention.

I am no more down on Skinner than I ever was.  I have no reason to think he is a locker room cancer, I don't think he is a significant contributory factor to his teams always missing the playoffs (on balance, he has been a net-positive for his teams over his career, I think), it would not be at all shocking if he signed with another team, posted 30 goals and 60 points and made it to the playoffs. He just isn't worth $9 million and since we may well need the $4.5 - $5.0 million in cap space next season, that comes with a buyout this year or next, I think the time is right to strike and take advantage of the extra $7.5 million that you can use this year with a buy out before month-end. I do not understand how people can compare buyout numbers for this season and next season and continue to conclude that there is benefit to waiting.  The only substantive benefit to waiting comes 6 seasons from now in 2029-30.  By then the cap could be $100 million; the $2.44 million in dead cap in 2029-30 should just not be a factor in this.

I don't think we would need to add anything at all to get a team to take 50pt Jeff Skinner at 4.5mil for 3years. If he didn't have a NMC, I bet that trade could be made tomorrow without us including "a substantial asset" or any asset other than Jeff and the retention. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I would do cart wheels if they do it but financially it does make more sense to wait one more year.    
Then again Adams may not think he has till next year and will be tempted to do it now and give him more money to spend on UFA's 

Brandon Beane took his medicine this year trading Stefon Diggs.

44 minutes ago, ... said:

This is what we need to hope for. If we move on from him we should be getting a player who has value in return 

Simply creating space for a rookie would set the team back on ice 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1