Fighter incoming soon?

dudacek

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You get that his post wasn’t so much reflective of enjoyment as the fact he’s saying he got full value only because he paid nothing, right? I think that went over your head based on your response 

Oh no I got that as well, but I think he enjoyed it as well and just wanted to add the humor. I could be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2024 at 8:45 AM, LGR4GM said:

If you you're a Sabre who needs this, I hope Adams trades you yesterday. 

Fully fine with adding more grit and guys who can rough-house more. I don't need Cozens being the one dropping gloves if someone else can address it but if you are a Sabre and are afraid to get in a scrum without someone else "standing up for you" I have no time for you. 

Great Statement!!

In terms of free agents, 

AJ Greer, mediocre player and mediocre fighter but he will hit and he will fight and he's not a complete liability. Only 27, might fill a 4th line role for some added toughness but far from a real heavyweight. 

John Hayden is having a good run with Coachella so you could bring him back. Again, mediocre in every way.

Austin Watson is getting a little old, Liam O'Brien might be the best cheap option. Definitely a willing fighter. Not a great fighter but willing. 

Ryan Lomberg is a banger I'd make an offer to for the 4th line. Pair him with a heavyweight though. He's a scrapper but not a real fighter. 

A real heavyweight probably has to come via trade and I'd talk to Tampa and see if they have buyer's regret on Jeannot. He's an absolute beast. 

On 6/18/2024 at 12:19 PM, Thorny said:

I think that’s certainly valid, my opinion on it has changed significantly since I was a kid, it’s just difficult to parse how much of that is me changing and how much is, to your point, the league. That it made way more sense before seems plausible to me 

Over the past few decades, the league has introduced a number of rules to discourage fighting..

• instigator penaly (1992)
  • aggressor penalty
  • half-shield requirement (AHL 2006, NHL grandfathered in 2013)
  • penalty for voluntarily removing your helmet before a fight (2019?)
  • penalty for unattached fight strap (2010's ?)

..combine all the above with the introduction of a salary cap in 2005, and there's really no more roster space for goons.   

But yeah, I get it... most folks would rather watch all-star game type skill competitions instead of a mix of skill, toughness and fighting. 

From a business standpoint (revenue) the league is doing their best to make the game more attractive to a larger fan base and grow the game.. which is fine, but for me personally, the product on the ice is not as entertaining as it once was.   

Hockey used to require some minimum level of toughness, or you didn't play.    That's no longer the case, and that sadness me a bit.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Over the past few decades, the league has introduced a number of rules to discourage fighting..

• instigator penaly (1992)
  • aggressor penalty
  • half-shield requirement (AHL 2006, NHL grandfathered in 2013)
  • penalty for voluntarily removing your helmet before a fight (2019?)
  • penalty for unattached fight strap (2010's ?)

..combine all the above with the introduction of a salary cap in 2005, and there's really no more roster space for goons.   

But yeah, I get it... most folks would rather watch all-star game type skill competitions instead of a mix of skill, toughness and fighting. 

From a business standpoint (revenue) the league is doing their best to make the game more attractive to a larger fan base and grow the game.. which is fine, but for me personally, the product on the ice is not as entertaining as it once was.   

Hockey used to require some minimum level of toughness, or you didn't play.    That's no longer the case, and that sadness me a bit.  

No I think the all star pond hockey stuff sucks too. My issue is purely with fighting 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

In terms of free agents, 

AJ Greer, mediocre player and mediocre fighter but he will hit and he will fight and he's not a complete liability. Only 27, might fill a 4th line role for some added toughness but far from a real heavyweight. 

John Hayden is having a good run with Coachella so you could bring him back. Again, mediocre in every way.

Austin Watson is getting a little old, Liam O'Brien might be the best cheap option. Definitely a willing fighter. Not a great fighter but willing. 

Ryan Lomberg is a banger I'd make an offer to for the 4th line. Pair him with a heavyweight though. He's a scrapper but not a real fighter. 

A real heavyweight probably has to come via trade and I'd talk to Tampa and see if they have buyer's regret on Jeannot. He's an absolute beast. 

TB pretty much has to move Jeannot for cap purposes. He would be my number 1 target.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

TB pretty much has to move Jeannot for cap purposes. He would be my number 1 target.

idk if he is the one they HAVE to move but I'd certainly explore this if I was KA and I'd make a strong attempt to land him. He is one of the toughest heavyweights, isn't too old yet, and isn't a complete liability on the ice either. 

I love the fact that he stresses "We need to get tougher", it's about freaking time. Seems like this team folds like an accordion when we face off against a more physical team and I think it's very much needed. I don't think Jeannot is going to be as cheap as some here think, if I'm not mistaken didn't they pay a 1st round pick for him? 

I'm hoping for both Yakov Trenin (COL) and Jeannot (TB), that would sure bring some toughness to this lineup that we're definitely missing imo.

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

In terms of free agents, 

If they bring in a 4th line goon that plays 6 minutes a night and his only real skill is fighting, I’ll be less than impressed.  They need actually hockey players that can fight not the next Andrew Peters. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I love the fact that he stresses "We need to get tougher", it's about freaking time. Seems like this team folds like an accordion when we face off against a more physical team and I think it's very much needed. I don't think Jeannot is going to be as cheap as some here think, if I'm not mistaken didn't they pay a 1st round pick for him? 

I'm hoping for both Yakov Trenin (COL) and Jeannot (TB), that would sure bring some toughness to this lineup that we're definitely missing imo.

Oh it was so much more than a 1st for Jeannot 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Sabres in past couple years were an extremely soft team. easily bullied. multiple times Sabres were outplaying other teams and they started bullying us. Worse than no response, is that it worked. We became timid and stopped playing aggressively. We need people who like that rough physical game. Islanders and bruins were two teams that knew this about us and were built to take advantage of our softness. 

One of the big turnoffs of college hockey is everyone is a tough guy. Never have to back it up so everyone is a tough guy.

25 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Oh it was so much more than a 1st for Jeannot 

Wow, I did not know they gave up so much for Jeannot.  He had one 24 goal, 41 point season while amassing 130 PIM for Nashville in the season after Covid.  

He has been a minus player for Tampa.  

He fit the bill of good fighter that can also play hockey, but I cannot see Buffalo paying anywhere near that much for him.  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Wow, I did not know they gave up so much for Jeannot.  He had one 24 goal, 41 point season while amassing 130 PIM for Nashville in the season after Covid.  

He fit the bill of good fighter that can also play hockey, but I cannot see Buffalo paying anywhere near that much for him.  

Nobody will pay TB anywhere close to what they spent to get him.  Those assets are all sunk costs at this point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Nobody will pay TB anywhere close to what they spent to get him.  Those assets are all sunk costs at this point.

Exactly, they messed up so why should the Sabres or anyone else pay for it.

Cut their losses is about best case for them, maybe get 1 or 2 mid round picks and a mid level prospect.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, xzy89c1 said:

Sabres in past couple years were an extremely soft team. easily bullied. multiple times Sabres were outplaying other teams and they started bullying us. Worse than no response, is that it worked. We became timid and stopped playing aggressively. We need people who like that rough physical game. Islanders and bruins were two teams that knew this about us and were built to take advantage of our softness. 

One of the big turnoffs of college hockey is everyone is a tough guy. Never have to back it up so everyone is a tough guy.

Sabres finished the season 2-1 against the Islanders with a 4-0 win, 3-1 win, and a 3-2 loss.

Bruins I suppose I can give you but we didn't play them after Dec 27th so idk if it was they were so tough and scary as much as the team was playing like ***** and riddled with injuries. 

6 hours ago, inkman said:

If they bring in a 4th line goon that plays 6 minutes a night and his only real skill is fighting, I’ll be less than impressed.  They need actually hockey players that can fight not the next Andrew Peters. 

It depends where you draw that line in how much they play or how much they are able to play. This is why I say Jeannot is the best option even if it's an overpay in trade because he isn't a horrible player. imo the 4th line guys don't have to get you much offense but they do have to not cost you goals against. If the guy is an energy guy/hitter/fighter etc. but he's defensively responsible then you have a valuable asset that will help guys like Cozens play a lot larger and you will get your added offense there. 

It's a team thing, not an individual thing. How it ALL fits together. We haven't had that for a long time. We need it badly. 

On 6/20/2024 at 9:18 AM, Pimlach said:

Yeah he's Worth a max 4th or 5th 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Tom Wilson and Brady Tkachuk would really change this team 

He won't but brady will