The Old Pink, burned down this morning

LGR4GM

For those who've ever drank or hung out on Allen Street, the Old Pink burned down this morning. The building was demolished this afternoon. A truly eclectic dive bar with a really solid steak Sammy and fried bologna, it was certainly a dive but it was memorable. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This saddens me... I haven't been there in some time but I've had all good memories there, saw many bands, met my sons mother there and although we aren't together we have a great kid because of this really amazing place. RIP old pink you will be missed!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

For those who've ever drank or hung out on Allen Street, the Old Pink burned down this morning. The building was demolished this afternoon. A truly eclectic dive bar with a really solid steak Sammy and fried bologna, it was certainly a dive but it was memorable. 

I have been out of town for a long time. Is Allen St. still a little off-beat part of town? I mean that as a good thing. Or has it gone through gentrification and lost its character? 

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have been out of town for a long time. Is Allen St. still a little off-beat part of town? I mean that as a good thing. Or has it gone through gentrification and lost its character? 

There's some but it's mostly still weird and offbeat. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It's still got the Goth, hippie, non-conformist vibe going and is a cool place to visit and hang out where you will meet all types that all hang out together and all get along for the most part.  Just had the Allentown Arts Festival two weekends ago there...packed as usual.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don't think I was ever in there. I didn't drink much when I lived in Buffalo, that start after I moved away. MsPie used to sneak in the kitchen door when she was in high school, lol.

15 minutes ago, mudberry said:

Was that the same as the Pink Flamingo?

Yes.  From what I can tell, the original Pink Flamingo in Allentown ("old Pink") was the one that was in the fire.  At some point in the late 80's/early 90's a newer, larger Pink Flamingo location opened in a big warehouse type of space off of Main Street ("new Pink").  I have no idea if the new Pink is still open.  I don't live in Buffalo and haven't for some time, and when I'm in town, I'm not typically visiting those types of bars.  If I'm in a bar, it's usually a bar and grill where I can watch a game or have lunch/dinner with my family and/or friends I am visiting.  In any event, as I said upthread, the old Pink was a Buffalo institution and it's sad to see it go.

On 6/21/2024 at 4:49 PM, Goldseatsaud said:

What a dark place. Mulligans was the place 

Mark and Mike Supples were bartenders at Mulligans. I started hanging out there in 1979 with 2 of my good friends working there. Pink Flamingo opened and Mark had to borrow the $ from his family. He did well with Mothers on Virginia but the Pink Flamingo got him going. Will miss that place. Yes, it was one of a kind but a great bar. RIP with some of my earlier haunts now gone, like the Park Meadow, Rude Boys and the Masthead.