OT- More WNY Love - Rochester/Buffalo both ranked top 6 in most affordable cities in the world

matter2003

19 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You're full of sh!t.  Don't lie about stuff that's easily disproved.

image.thumb.png.077e4b2fac3ee9403c71e558584340f0.png  image.thumb.png.e15dd32ba6e1eaa26e90e7a0b1029b26.png

Diane Campbell M in 2022 was employed at Lockport City School District and had an annual salary of $99,982 according to public records. This salary was 75 percent higher than the average and 99 percent higher than the median salary in Lockport City School District.

Public records show Diane Campbell M working for Lockport City School District from 2009 to 2022.

You see I’m full of shi your lucky. 

On 6/17/2024 at 2:42 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I'd be curious how the schools rate in your state.

Why? Their not being taught crap like Lancaster is !!!!!!!

19 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You're full of sh!t.  Don't lie about stuff that's easily disproved.

image.thumb.png.077e4b2fac3ee9403c71e558584340f0.png  image.thumb.png.e15dd32ba6e1eaa26e90e7a0b1029b26.png

So wrong. My neighbors who teach in Lockport are at 99k

Lockport City School District average salary is 22 percent higher than USA average and median salary is 15 percent higher than USA median salary.

5 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

So wrong. My neighbors who teach in Lockport are at 99k

Lockport City School District average salary is 22 percent higher than USA average and median salary is 15 percent higher than USA median salary.

How long have your neighbors been teaching? 

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I mean doesn't Vancouver kind of dish on itself by referring to their hockey team as the American slang for Canadians by calling themselves the Canucks?

It's actually based around Johnny Canuck a cartoon folk hero related to the forestry industry that was the original west coast main industry. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Canuck

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Serious question. I might have asked this a while back... I don't recall. But are there beaches in Vancouver where you can comfortably go in the ocean without a wetsuit. I'm under the impression... Maybe wrongly so, that you can't. If so, that would make it much more less attractive of a feature for me.

The mountains no question are still pretty awesome though... Especially as a snowboarder... Though I'd still prefer the interior.

The ocean is cold, no question. It's not shark territory. I've been surfing off the Tofino coast (on the island) and yes, it's f'n freezing, but it was still great. (a younger man's game). So people do go in and you can walk the shore and let the waves hit you and all that. It's pretty nice still. Not THAT cold.  Just not great for swimming. When I lived in Nanaimo we were a 5 minute walk from the shore and I used to love going down there and watching the eagles. Absolutely beautiful. 

Interior depends on where you are. If you like golf Kelowna is great but it gets hot and dry in the summer. I personally don't care for that. Wildfire smoke in recent years is a seasonal issue as well. That has changed things more than anything else. 

31 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

I know teachers that are making six figures plus that  was my point!   

They should be.  I don’t want the teacher that $50-70k buys.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Swifty passed you by? In some ways I think that proves my point 🙂

I lived in Hamilton in my youth as I've said so I get the close to Toronto thing but it's still close to and not it. That's a reality. Again, that's why it's affordable. It's close to, but it's not it. Hamilton's a great city too. A lot like Buffalo. But it's also affordable and a little lacking. many places are. 

I actually live in New Hampshire, an hour outside of Boston. But I get to Buffalo often.

3 hours ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Diane Campbell M in 2022 was employed at Lockport City School District and had an annual salary of $99,982 according to public records. This salary was 75 percent higher than the average and 99 percent higher than the median salary in Lockport City School District.

Public records show Diane Campbell M working for Lockport City School District from 2009 to 2022.

Is this "Diane Campbell M" one of your "neighbors all teachers making 100k"?

On 6/17/2024 at 1:55 PM, Goldseatsaud said:

My neighbors all teachers making 100k on my taxes

Otherwise, why are you yammering on about all these teacher friends making 100k when the best you can do is find one who makes.... LESS THAN 100k?

Stop blowing ***** outta your ass about things you know nothing about.

3 hours ago, Goldseatsaud said:

I know teachers that are making six figures plus that  was my point!   

No, I don't think you do.  Because the best "public record" you could find was someone making less than 100k.

I sold my house near OP last year for a ridiculous amount of money, I felt bad taking it. But the buyers were from Quebec and said that even though it was wayyyy over asking, they really wanted the house. They said a comparable house in Quebec would have been outrageous, like 2 million dollars. Mind you, I only paid 220k for that house. They said it was so hard to find a house that they just went as high as they could so they wouldn't get outbid. 

I'm not sure if it's this way everywhere, but based in the selling price, I wouldn't have considered that "affordable" the price I paid was the affordable price. 

This thread has convinced humans are terrible at stats. Explains hockey drafting.

I'll play though. Ik a teacher who makes 62,597. He's been a teacher since 2014. 

Therfore all teachers make 60k. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

This thread has convinced humans are terrible at stats. Explains hockey drafting.

I'll play though. Ik a teacher who makes 62,597. He's been a teacher since 2014. 

As long as the thread has also convinced you that we have in our midst a man who - by virtue of being a veritable Rod the Bod - generates business for chiropractors when he struts shirtless at area beaches.

• Haha (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Therfore all teachers make 60k. 

Some people have a locked in narrative that regardless of the insurmountable number of facts indicating otherwise They end up clinging even harder to their fantasy truth. We now live in the world of conspiracies and cult-like behavior. The problem is not that people have different perspectives on issues as it is they have a different set of facts to base their claims. It's really scary. 

Edited by JohnC

If you looked at equivalent education, and then derated it by the extra 2 months or so of vacation time, you could probably land pretty close to a number to what teachers are worth. 

If you have 5 years post secondary and 20 years experience, what's the median salary across all sectors? Derate that by about ~15% and you have a good number. I'd guess that's in the $100k ballpark.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If you looked at equivalent education, and then derated it by the extra 2 months or so of vacation time, you could probably land pretty close to a number to what teachers are worth. 

If you have 5 years post secondary and 20 years experience, what's the median salary across all sectors? Derate that by about ~15% and you have a good number. I'd guess that's in the $100k ballpark.

Exactly.  When you consider career options for a STEM master’s degree, $100k salaries make sense if you want to hire folks that have good options in other fields.

If you are content with leftovers teaching our kids, I don’t want my kids in your district.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Weave said:

They should be.  I don’t want the teacher that $50-70k buys.

Are you suggesting someone who would be a teacher for that very fair (IMHO) salary would... What?... Suck?

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are you suggesting someone who would be a teacher for that very fair (IMHO) salary would... What?... Suck?

I am suggesting that $50-70k gets you a picked over list to choose from.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I am suggesting that $50-70k gets you a picked over list to choose from.

And those who have the heart to teach, who want to teach? IOW the best teachers?

Will they just be mercenaries and go work in tech or something?

I think in certain fields you want to avoid luring people who are in it for the money. Teaching seems like one of them.

And how do we pick professions to be rewarded handsomely? Go watch a CNA do a 12 hour shift in a nursing home for 20 bucks an hour and get back to me.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And those who have the heart to teach, who want to teach? IOW the best teachers?

I think in certain fields you want to avoid luring people who are in it for the money. Teaching seems like one of them.

And how do we pick professions to be rewarded handsomely? Go watch a CNA do a 12 hour shift in a nursing home for 20 bucks an hour and get back to me.

I think you are being more idealist than realistic.

The reality is, nearly everyone makes economic priorities as part of their decision making process.  The more attractive we make specific fields, the more strong candidates we get to choose from.

CNA’s should be paid more.  We would attract more good ones that way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Some people have a locked in narrative that regardless of the insurmountable number of facts indicating otherwise They end up clinging even harder to their fantasy truth. We now live in the world of conspiracies and cult-like behavior. The problem is not that people have different perspectives on issues as it is they have a different set of facts to base their claims. It's really scary. 

It's not "some people" - it's "all people". It is how our brains work. All you are doing by saying "some people" is excusing and/or ignoring the same traits in cohorts you happen to agree with or believe are harmless. And by doing that you become the pot calling the kettle black.

Let's not water down or redefine what a conspiracy is. A conspiracy is a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful. By that definition and in accordance with history, we do indeed "live in a word of conspiracies..." because there are always criminals plotting and executing schemes.

What you are referring to is what the media frames as narratives that are disagreeable for whatever reason. As an example, a finance group might release a report saying the economy is approaching its worst levels in generations, and the opposition to the seated political administration will pick up the report and use it as to attack the sitting regime. The sitting regime will claim it's false, and, in an attempt to discredit the report, will label the report, those who made it, and those who use it as conspirators "using fake information" to attack them. The media runs with this language - honestly because many are hopelessly dumb, ego-laden sock puppets - and most people are none-the-wiser because of the cult-like tendencies of people to believe those who have, artificially or not, an elevated status.

Cult-like behavior is normal for humans despite the traditional American theme of individualism. Relatively few people are individuals and when you find one, they're often called crazy, mocked, ignored, and generally don't fit in with the rest of the herd/cult. The people held up as "individuals" are actually people used to shepherd the rest. Tattoos are a great example: tattoos are explained as some way of expressing individuality, but if you line up 20 people and 10 of them have tattoos all you will see are 10 people with tattoos and 10 people without and no individuals.

Edited by ...
check spell

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Actually yes.  My son is currently a teacher and considering doing exactly this once he finishes his data analytics degree. 

I have a good friend that bounces between teaching at a public school (her heart's passion) and working a civilian position at the Army Corps of Engineers (where she makes much more money).

Part of the problem with keeping good teachers in the field is the administrative and political sides of teaching.  There are a lot of BS rules that don't help a teacher effectively teach, and there is a constant push to reduce taxes and/or divert education tax dollars from traditional public schools to alternatives, which is not only why salaries are not commensurate with other industries but why public school resources are frequently not adequate.  There should be no need for a $250 tax deduction to educators who buy supplies out of their pockets, but most spend more than that just to fulfill basic needs (like having tissues in a classroom during cold and flu season).

Edited by Doohickie

18 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Culture much more putting on a black tie and going to a museum or an art gallery, which isn't to say you can't do that in Buffalo... And again, who really does that stuff on a regular basis?!?!

You go to Africa, you're going to get some really interesting cultures. None of which involves museums or anything to what you're suggesting.

Buffalo tailgating is organic, and its pretty awesome. 

I'm trying hard not to dish on your beloved Vancouver, but I'll just say... If you ask anybody from anywhere to say something about it, they'll say mountains first and ocean second. Beyond that to most people in Canada, its kind of just a Toronto Jr. Outside Canada, I'm not even sure what people would think.

Culture is not putting on a black tie and going to museums.   Ugh.  Don't confuse sight seeing for culture.  Culture is about the People, their land and the traditions and way of life that come from it.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.