OT- More WNY Love - Rochester/Buffalo both ranked top 6 in most affordable cities in the world

matter2003

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've been here since I sucked at SDS' teat and this might be the GPOAT.

Truth is the truth. If people want to be told they have to be fat, out of shape dudes with beer bellies who have to be hunched over for 2 minutes to catch their breath after walking up a flight of stairs and be on 10 prescription drugs at that age then that's on them...I am not one to let society dictate what I should be, nor what I am capable of. 

While they sit on the couch drinking beers watching TV with a big bag of chips next to them, I'm out with a 60lb weighted vest on pulling a 200 lb sled for 45 minutes.

Edited by matter2003
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Truth is the truth. If people want to be told they have to be fat, out of shape dudes with beer bellies who have to be hunched over for 2 minutes to catch their breath after walking up a flight of stairs and be on 10 prescription drugs at that age then that's on them...I am not one to let society dictate what I should be, nor what I am capable of. 

While they sit on the couch drinking beers watching TV with a big bag of chips next to them, I'm out with a 60lb weighted vest on pulling a 200 lb sled for 45 minutes.

And none of this has anything to do with whether milennials, Gen Z, or whatever are slackers and snowflakes, so what is your point?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

And none of this has anything to do with whether milennials, Gen Z, or whatever are slackers and snowflakes, so what is your point?

It has to do with mindset and what is being taught, so I disagree.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It has to do with mindset and what is being taught, so I disagree.

So how do explain the mid to high performers that don’t come from families with fitness vanity issues?

This is potentially epic.

As de facto board historian, @That Aud Smell needs to bear witness.

55 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Some of us do wear a 60 pound weighted vest. Our torsos.

• Haha (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is potentially epic.

As de facto board historian, @That Aud Smell needs to bear witness.

What in the absolute fresh hell is going on in here.

In a neat bit of irony, the sanctimonious, self-satisfied, finger-wagging, fat-scolding being blared upthread makes PA's yucking LGR's stats-yum seem genteel in comparison.

46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Some of us do wear a 60 pound weighted vest. Our torsos.

Full marks. I have one of those myself!

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah, probably because I am different from the other 95%. Case in point, how many 49 year olds do you know that look like an NFL linebacker and have a full six pack?

Of abs...not a 6 pack of beer sitting in their fridge so they can drink it. 

Probably not many. If I had to guess, it would probably be well under 5% actually.

Probably not many 49 year olds that have 25 year old women checking them out at the beach while their husband who looks like a beached whale laying next to them is oblivious, either. Sometimes I almost think I am going to have to call 911 from someone having a broken neck the way their head snaps around.

Probably not the right guy to be talking about being part of the 95%.  I'm not.

Frame it and put it in the Louvre.

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

In a neat bit of irony, the sanctimonious, self-satisfied, finger-wagging, fat-scolding being blared upthread makes PA's yucking LGR's stats-yum seem genteel in comparison.

If you gave a monkey a typewriter, it would never ever ever type those words of the middle graf.

29 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Frame it and put it in the Louvre.

There it is. Judge Smell's imprimatur.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

One of the biggest boosters of Buffalo architecture is Douglas Jemal, an out-of-town developer. He has done a lot of restoration projects in DC, Jersey and NYC. Over the past ten years or so he has gotten involved in a number of projects in Buffalo and western NY. There isn't anyone in the country who praises the rich history of its architecture more than he does. And there isn't anyone in the country or local area who has successfully taken on as many projects as he has. The Statler is now one of his current major projects. 

The Staler was one, as in the tall Bank Building that was once the M&T bank.   Go inside and tour it, have a drink at one of their bars, go to the top and see the city from a unique birds-eye view, etc.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Some celebrity needs to read Matter's post for posterity.

But who?

In a bit of irony, it screams for Chris Farley, but I’ll go with Gary Busey.

gary busey crazy person GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Staler was one, as in the tall Bank Building that was once the M&T bank.   Go inside and tour it, have a drink at one of their bars, go to the top and see the city from a unique birds-eye view, etc.  

I listened to Douglas Jemal when he decided to take on the Statler project after the death of Croce, who bought the building but ended up dying in a plane accident. As with the Seneca One project it was fascinating and impressive to listen to him talk about his vision for each project. The Seneca One project was a multi-phased project that encompassed not only the big building but also the surrounding area. A number of people got a lot of attention when they tried to resurrect the Statler. That all failed for a variety of reasons, one foreign investor was a fraud. 

The developing business is a very complicated and challenging endeavor. Douglas Jemal knows what he is doing. And he does it. A lot of developers talk big but end up being overwhelmed by the finances and complexity of these projects. Not Jemal. He's a doer and a finisher. This outsider is one of the biggest assets in the local community. 

• Agree 1

On 6/17/2024 at 9:34 AM, LGR4GM said:

People forget that taxes do in fact pay for things. The suburbs of Buffalo have some really good schools with a lot of support services that get paid for by property taxes. I know a friend with a child that has a speech issue, they lived in the burbs here and in pre-k were getting services. They moved to texas and get nothing. They are now paying extra for a private speech pathologist, but hey! Their property taxes are lower. 

That said, to each their own. Some ppl value the longer summers and more moderate climate, some like winters, some like the services they get here and some want lower taxes. Live where you want, all places have pros and cons. 

Yes indeed.  It is nice when taxes actually lead to good services and help keep a community and its citizens in good shape.  My wife has a family member that left Buffalo for greener pastures in Houston.  Big mistake.  He could not have picked a worse city at a worse time, and I will leave it at that.  

He is finding out that Erie County and NYS have much more to offer than he ever realized.  

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yeah, being obese is really something to be proud of.  But I guess you are definitely with the other 70% of the American population...once again, happy to be on the other side of the majority.

6 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I won't thumb my nose at tailgating or chicken wings. It falls squarely in the bullet circled below. They grew this organically. They didn't import their culture from Asia as seems to be what we do here in Canada these days.

But if you want to get into the intellectual stuff, Buffalo has that in spades too which some of the posters have already shown.

EDIT- Besides how many people actually frequent museums or art galleries. It seems more of a bragging point than something people actually use. 

Screenshot_20240618-084357.thumb.png.38e0b625c5a656d7fcb1b570ea2b6425.png

You do realize that saying chicken wings is your culture is pretty much feeding into a stand up routine that would make fun of the place right? I mean they made Nanaimo Bars in Nanaimo but nobody runs around that town saying that's their culture. 

Buffalo's fine and it's actually nice to see how strongly some people are defending it, and I'm all for supporting your home town and all that. No issues. It goes too far though if you actually try to claim it's some great place. It's just a place. Not a terrible place, but a place. Winter sucks and there's something wrong with their hockey team, but not a terrible place (unless you like hockey). 

Not a cultural Mecca though, that's for sure. 

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's all about that your looking for. Toronto is 90 minutes away if you need a shot of the big city life. But if you like living in a place where major traffic jams are rare, where you can get pretty much anywhere within 20 minutes, lots of nature options for fun, plenty of great restaurants, and you're not too broken up that the Taylor Swift tour is bypassing your town, Buffalo could be a perfect place.

Swifty passed you by? In some ways I think that proves my point 🙂

I lived in Hamilton in my youth as I've said so I get the close to Toronto thing but it's still close to and not it. That's a reality. Again, that's why it's affordable. It's close to, but it's not it. Hamilton's a great city too. A lot like Buffalo. But it's also affordable and a little lacking. many places are. 

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

And here I thought the world famous French Canadian arrogance only pertained to Canada...I see it knows no borders now.  

Funny how Poutine and Maple Syrup are universally celebrated there tho...

I am not sure why you are still part of Canada honestly, because both sides desperately want to rid themselves of the other.

Because Maple Syrup and real poutine are both delicious. Smoked meat and bagels are also big in Montreal. 

I'm a west coaster though. Very little French out here. Lots of hippies and flip flops 🙂

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You do realize that saying chicken wings is your culture is pretty much feeding into a stand up routine that would make fun of the place right? I mean they made Nanaimo Bars in Nanaimo but nobody runs around that town saying that's their culture. 

Buffalo's fine and it's actually nice to see how strongly some people are defending it, and I'm all for supporting your home town and all that. No issues. It goes too far though if you actually try to claim it's some great place. It's just a place. Not a terrible place, but a place. Winter sucks and there's something wrong with their hockey team, but not a terrible place (unless you like hockey). 

Not a cultural Mecca though, that's for sure. 

Culture much more putting on a black tie and going to a museum or an art gallery, which isn't to say you can't do that in Buffalo... And again, who really does that stuff on a regular basis?!?!

You go to Africa, you're going to get some really interesting cultures. None of which involves museums or anything to what you're suggesting.

Buffalo tailgating is organic, and its pretty awesome. 

I'm trying hard not to dish on your beloved Vancouver, but I'll just say... If you ask anybody from anywhere to say something about it, they'll say mountains first and ocean second. Beyond that to most people in Canada, its kind of just a Toronto Jr. Outside Canada, I'm not even sure what people would think.

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Culture much more putting on a black tie and going to a museum or an art gallery, which isn't to say you can't do that in Buffalo... And again, who really does that stuff on a regular basis?!?!

You go to Africa, you're going to get some really interesting cultures. None of which involves museums or anything to what you're suggesting.

Buffalo tailgating is organic, and its pretty awesome. 

I'm trying hard not to dish on your beloved Vancouver, but I'll just say... If you ask anybody from anywhere to say something about it, they'll say mountains first and ocean second. Beyond that to most people in Canada, its kind of just a Toronto Jr. Outside Canada, I'm not even sure what people would think.

Vancouver is sometimes referred to as "boring Toronto" that is true. It's so damn nice people are often content to just hang out and around. You can "dish" on it all you want. I won't be offended. I came west for the mild winters and the ocean. 

I don't wear ties any more. Not even for the ballet or opera. 

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Vancouver is sometimes referred to as "boring Toronto" that is true. It's so damn nice people are often content to just hang out and around. You can "dish" on it all you want. I won't be offended. I came west for the mild winters and the ocean. 

I mean doesn't Vancouver kind of dish on itself by referring to their hockey team as the American slang for Canadians by calling themselves the Canucks?

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah, being obese is really something to be proud of.  But I guess you are definitely with the other 70% of the American population...once again, happy to be on the other side of the majority.

Looking for a paragon of American exceptionalism? Look no further. And, ladies, worry not, as we have free panty liners on-hand to help manage that spontaneous moisture you’re experiencing.

There are serious, nuanced points that could be made about Americans’ struggles with obesity — the causes, the solutions (?), the struggles, etc.

But this is decidedly not a person with whom I’d venture to have that conversation.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Serious question. I might have asked this a while back... I don't recall. But are there beaches in Vancouver where you can comfortably go in the ocean without a wetsuit. I'm under the impression... Maybe wrongly so, that you can't. If so, that would make it much more less attractive of a feature for me.

The mountains no question are still pretty awesome though... Especially as a snowboarder... Though I'd still prefer the interior.