Sabres want to re-sign Girgensons according to Lance! Seriously? Why?

There is no longer any room of this roster for Girgensons.  He is part of the failed culture on this team and it’s time to move on. We need to move on from the guys who don’t make us better and he is one of those guys. Same with Joki and Bryson.  

If you keep bringing back the same failed players, why should the fans expect different results?

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is no longer any room of this roster for Girgensons.  He is part of the failed culture on this team and it’s time to move on. We need to move on from the guys who don’t make us better and he is one of those guys. Same with Joki and Bryson.  

If you keep bringing back the same failed players, why should the fans expect different results?

I know, right?  There has been like zero turnover on this roster.

• Haha (+1) 1

On the plus side, he does have an awesome name and nickname. 

With Ruff as coach, don’t be surprised to see Zemgus (if re-signed) higher in the lineup than expected. Or rather, with linemates you might qualify as 2nd liners. Ruff sometimes rolls an all-4th line, but he also mixes and matches based on role, not scoring. Think back to Gaustad on Drury’s line. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Rasmus Dahlin, we know. 

It's the obvious choice but maybe they don't want to put too much pressure on him and let him play his game

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

With Ruff as coach, don’t be surprised to see Zemgus (if re-signed) higher in the lineup than expected. Or rather, with linemates you might qualify as 2nd liners. Ruff sometimes rolls an all-4th line, but he also mixes and matches based on role, not scoring. Think back to Gaustad on Drury’s line. 

He's the new adam mair

50 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

If Girgensons is re-signed, I expect the real Lindy Ruff to be held captive in the arena's basement while the Lindy Ruff clone makes Z the second line center.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

I think he’s the type of dude who balls out in the playoffs.  Will put everything on the line once he gets there. 

You never could question his effort. He was balls out all the time.

But for all his effort, he had zero ability to make plays.  He's on four straight seasons at single digit assists. 

We can do better. Much better.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

It's the obvious choice but maybe they don't want to put too much pressure on him and let him play his game

He's the new adam mair

Mair actually hit and fought people 

8 hours ago, LTS said:

So.. I misread his initial information. It was Alex Tuch's bachelor party. Why it was in Texas, I do not know.  He arrived in a pink tank top, white skirt, and white bedazzled visor.

He was not shirtless.  So, I think he can still be captain?

I have seen reports that Tuch has been married since 2023.  He has a baby too.  

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They need to move for the simple fact of change for changes sake.

100% this.  If he wasn’t the face of Sabres futility, sure, bring him back for less.  I advocated last year for his return to see a Kyle Williams like moment.  It did not happen.  Good luck. 

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

19 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They need to move for the simple fact of change for changes sake.

You guys agree on this one.  So do I. 

I like Girgs, he has been a good soldier for a long time, but it is time to move on from him.  

I do expect he will be a good 4th line role player for a good team, but he has not been anything special for us.  

My problem with re-signing Girgs would have nothing against the player and everything about management pursuing a "safe" option without doing any diligence to upgrade the position. 

Last season was over in July when KO, Zemgus and Jost were all resigned. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

My problem with re-signing Girgs would have nothing against the player and everything about management pursuing a "safe" option without doing any diligence to upgrade the position. 

Last season was over in July when KO, Zemgus and Jost were all resigned. 

It’s long past time to try to improve all aspects of this roster and that includes upgrading the depth forwards.  Enough is enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I have seen reports that Tuch has been married since 2023.  He has a baby too.  

The very basic search I did before posting said he proposed and things spoke that he and his girlfriend had a baby together.  Frankly for me overall, it didn't matter much if it was his or someone else's bachelor party or if he's married or not... but was updating more about what he was reportedly wearing since we know going shirtless in the sun means that you don't take hockey seriously.

🙂

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You guys agree on this one.  So do I. 

I like Girgs, he has been a good soldier for a long time, but it is time to move on from him.  

I do expect he will be a good 4th line role player for a good team, but he has not been anything special for us.  

If you believe that he would be a good 4th line player for a good team, then why he wouldn't be a good 4th line player for us? His style of play is suitable as a 4th line player. My thought regarding retaining him is what does he want to do, and does I want to move on. If he wants to move on, then I would wish him the best. Another aspect about his game where he is a solid contributor is as a PK. Even if Girgs is kept, the GM will still need to add another player or two to the fourth line. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you believe that he would be a good 4th line player for a good team, then why he wouldn't be a good 4th line player for us? His style of play is suitable as a 4th line player. My thought regarding retaining him is what does he want to do, and does I want to move on. If he wants to move on, then I would wish him the best. Another aspect about his game where he is a solid contributor is as a PK. Even if Girgs is kept, the GM will still need to add another player or two to the fourth line. 

I don't think the issue was Girgs being retained last year. I think the issue was him AND Jost AND Okposo being retained.  Girgs is a very good 4th liner.  You don't need him gone to upgrade the 4th line, you need him here with the other 2 spots being upgraded.

• Like (+1) 2

I've got no problem with Girgs.  He's a hardworking soldier.  He leads the team in hits/60.  His line did a good job preventing goals against, and Z's HDGF/60 is more than some because his strength is good in front of the net.  But his stats are meh.  I'm not sure we need him and Greenway, as their stats are basically identical.  But if we ditch Z, who's left on LW after Skinner and Greenway...?

I'm torn between wanting:

• A young skilled kid from Rochester to take his place and get playing time.
  • Ditch Girgs, put Greenway in his spot, and get a different veteran leader for the team (preferably playoff-seasoned).
  • Keep him as a veteran leader, but ditch Greenway.
  • Free agent player with scoring grit.

I also checked, Z never played for Ruff.  Z was still in Rochester Ruff's last year.

I think the takeaway is that Z hasn't cracked 20 points in the last eight seasons and this makes him expendable.  Maybe especially so if we need more leadership or more scoring or more grit-that-scores.

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is he a good 4th line player for us?   Sometimes, he is.   He is one of the few grown ups on the team, and one of the few with a physical game.  

He style of play is suitable for 4th line -  yes it us, for sure. 

My problem is the ten years and no winning thing.  Its not his fault, but maybe we need to flush out the last remaining piece of the Ron Rolston era?   

If we keep him then no big deal, but I think we can improve upon him and maybe for a bit less money too.  

16 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I also checked, Z never played for Ruff.  Z was still in Rochester Ruff's last year.

With that being the case, he was drafted when Ruff was here, so Ruff certainly had input into the decision to draft him,

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.