Sabres want to re-sign Girgensons according to Lance! Seriously? Why?

I came across this tidbit and it almost made me sick.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/buffalo-sabres

The Sabres are interested in re-signing pending unrestricted free agent Zemgus Girgensons, relays Lance Lysowski of The Buffalo News. The 30-year-old has spent the last ten seasons with Buffalo after they drafted him in the first round back in 2012.  However, Girgensons hasn’t reached the 20-point mark since his sophomore year and while he provides some value in a limited checking role, it could make sense for both sides for the forward to ultimately move on.

Please G-d no.  He is selling his house Adams. Let him go.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I have no great issue with this. At the right price he is fine for the 4th line. Buying out Skinner would do far more for a culture change and to create space for a new type of player than moving on from Girgs. 

I’ve seen more than a few posts about Radek Faksa being a possible target (bottom 6 player who has a history with Ruff). I’m not sure I could come up with two players whose careers are closer to identical than Faksa and Girgs.  One just had the misfortune of being drafted by the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Serious Q: has Lance broken ANY Sabres related news since he became the BN's main Sabres reporter?  If not, wouldn't get too worked up over the report.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have no problem with him as a fourth line player at a fourth line price. Don't waste your bountiful reservoir of angst on his re-signing. My sense is that he wants a fresh start somewhere else. Seeing Okposo on a probable cup winning team has to get him thinking about leaving his stale situation.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I have no problem with him as a fourth line player at a fourth line price. Don't waste your bountiful reservoir of angst on his re-signing. My sense is that he wants a fresh start somewhere else. Seeing Okposo on a probable cup winning team has to get him thinking about leaving his stale situation.  

IF he is not given a leadership role within the team wouldn't HATE having him back again.  But personally expect it's time for both parties to move on.  And expect that it's very likely he's going to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

If it has any merit whatsoever... a friend of mine works at a golf course in Texas (he also works for the Texas Stars, but not relevant here). There was a bachelor party golf outing and Alex Tuch was part of the event (knew the bachelor).  He arrived with Girgensons and Thompson for the golf event.

I have no reason to doubt my friend of the authenticity of this but he know who those three are would not mistake them. He also knew Tuch was coming because his name was on one of the golf groups.

So, at least Girgensons went to a bachelor party in Texas with Tuch who might or might not be the next captain.

• dislike 1

1 minute ago, LTS said:

If it has any merit whatsoever... a friend of mine works at a golf course in Texas (he also works for the Texas Stars, but not relevant here). There was a bachelor party golf outing and Alex Tuch was part of the event (knew the bachelor).  He arrived with Girgensons and Thompson for the golf event.

I have no reason to doubt my friend of the authenticity of this but he know who those three are would not mistake them. He also knew Tuch was coming because his name was on one of the golf groups.

So, at least Girgensons went to a bachelor party in Texas with Tuch who might or might not be the next captain.

Summer fun automatically makes you ineligible.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

IF he is not given a leadership role within the team wouldn't HATE having him back again.  But personally expect it's time for both parties to move on.  And expect that it's very likely he's going to move on.

I have a different perspective on leadership roles whether it is officially designated as a C or A on the uniform. With players like Okposo,  Girgs or Tuch, to a lesser extent, it doesn't matter whether they have that official designation. This type of player leads more by example than by vocally expressing themselves.  If I have to predict who is going to be the next captain, it's likely to be Dahlin. 

Just now, dudacek said:

Summer fun automatically makes you ineligible.

So.. I misread his initial information. It was Alex Tuch's bachelor party. Why it was in Texas, I do not know.  He arrived in a pink tank top, white skirt, and white bedazzled visor.

He was not shirtless.  So, I think he can still be captain?

With the way ERod Is playing as second center on the likely Stanley Cup winner, I’d think all the angst and definitive assessment of role players on this board would have subsided for at least a week.

I’m with Taro, I don’t want him as part of the leadership core but I have no problem with him being part of the team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I have a different perspective on leadership roles whether it is officially designated as a C or A on the uniform. With players like Okposo,  Girgs or Tuch, to a lesser extent, it doesn't matter whether they have that official designation. This type of player leads more by example than by vocally expressing themselves.  If I have to predict who is going to be the next captain, it's likely to be Dahlin. 

Well, it depends on whether others in the room defer to those with the letter on their shirt.  And, with not being in the room so take it for what it's worth, it sure does seem like this team tends to historically take on the personality of their captain.  Did not want Okposo as the captain this past season.  Felt the team needed to become Dahlin & Tuch's team.

Definitely don't want Girgensons as the captain or even wearing an A next year.

3 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I have no great issue with this. At the right price he is fine for the 4th line. Buying out Skinner would do far more for a culture change and to create space for a new type of player than moving on from Girgs. 

I’ve seen more than a few posts about Radek Faksa being a possible target (bottom 6 player who has a history with Ruff). I’m not sure I could come up with two players whose careers are closer to identical than Faksa and Girgs.  One just had the misfortune of being drafted by the Sabres. 

I tend to say "why" when people don't want him here.  You have to realize he is a 4th liner. Once you get that, then he is a very very good 4th liner.  He is a capable, if not exceptional penalty killer (average to above average). He's one of the best/fastest skating guys on the team.  There are times when as a 4th liner, he is pivotal in terms of hemming the other team in their zone.   I have watched replays of most goals this team has allowed and he rarely is the guy who is out of position or makes a glaring mistake when a goal is scored against the team.

And finally scoring.  Compared to most 4th liners around the league, he scores just as much or more, and his scoring per 60 minutes even strength (the best way to evaluate guys who don't get top minutes) is way ahead of average 4th liners (he is 6th on the entire team this year among everyone, and over the past 5 years he is 7th on the team).

He's not a superstar, but he skates hard, plays hard, doesn't make glaring mistakes, and scores more than most 4th liners, he's not losing a step yet either... I'm not sure why the rush to get rid of him?  If you were counting on him to fill in even on the 3rd line I can see an argument for improvement...but as a single member of the 4th line, I WANT him back.

As far as him wearing a C or an A....No need for it. The younger guys need to step into that role. I an confident Girgs can be a 'veteran presense' as much as a 4th liner can be without needing to have a letter at all.

With all that said, if he does move on, I won't put much thought to him not being here the minute the season starts.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Z is the kind of 4th liner Ruff always loved here.

Works his ass off, excellent speed, very good on the forecheck, positionally responsible, PK abilities.

Id be somewhat surprised if he wasn’t offered a contract.

• Like (+1) 7

• nfreeman changed the title to Sabres want to re-sign Girgensons according to Lance! Seriously? Why?

You know what will happen if Girgensons is allowed to leave? He'll go on to be a Stanley Cup Final hero just like Erod. And then the usual suspects will spend the following season and half complaining that "we don't keep talent", "we're the development squad for the NHL", and "we're doomed to never win a Cup."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

The thing I like about Girgensons on the 4th line at a fair price is that he is a legitimate, veteran, NHL player who can fill a role and isn't still learning on the job. 

This team has had too many replacement level guys out there, or guys still learning on the job, to ever field a playoff team. 

The Sabres can keep Girgensons and then sign two more just like him.

• Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.