Sabres promote Jerry Forton to Assistant GM

Brawndo

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm not educated at all on these individuals. Brawndo, can you eleborate on why you feel it's a bad move. Thanks.

His Brother in Law is Terry’s Business Partner and he has been with the team for a decade. Total nepotism hire 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Bad bad bad move 

In the plus column, he did want McAvoy way back when the Sabres drafted Nylander.  (Of course, he couldn't talk anybody above him to pull the trigger on that kid.)

In the minus column, don't know that he was the driving force of any of the picks that were good.  He gets blamed for the Finnish goalie in the 2nd a couple of years back.  If that was his call, yeah, that's one more in the minus column.

What does this even mean?

He gets a raise and better title obviously, but does it mean anything for the Sabres?

This is a new position; nobody moved on.

He's still below Adams and Karmanos on the org chart. He's still part of the inner circle that includes Ventura, Jakubowski and Crowe.

Does it mean more and different duties? A new chief scout getting hired?

Has he been given more power and influence, or has he been quietly moved to a flashier but less important role?

Hard one to read, but I'm going to consider a token move until something else drops.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

Promoting him to assistant GM might be a way to get him out of the draft process. We do it all the time, give a guy a new title, a few extra bucks and give him non lethal assignments. If you think this is somehow unique to Buffalo, you’d be wrong.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Promoting him to assistant GM might be a way to get him out of the draft process. We do it all the time, give a guy a new title, a few extra bucks and give him non lethal assignments. If you think this is somehow unique to Buffalo, you’d be wrong.

That's just what i was speculating.

If Adams is sharp (unsure) or Guelli (likely) and Brawndo is right (he usually is), this is exactly what you do.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

That's just what i was speculating.

If Adams is sharp (unsure) or Guelli (likely) and Brawndo is right (as he usually is), this is exactly what you do.

2 & 3 are a given and I’m pretty sure 1 is as well. I think 1 & 2 might be the first team they’ve had that can keep TPegs happy while building the team we want.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

2 & 3 are a given and I’m pretty sure 1 is as well. I think 1 & 2 might be the first team they’ve had that can keep TPegs happy while building the team we want.

God, I hope you're right.

The fact you would even have to consider those kinds of shenanigans because of your owner...

But we've all seen the evidence.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Did Karmanos go somewhere?   I thought it was Forton who wanted Darcy to draft Zadorov, which ended up happening.  He thought Zadorov would make the Sabres harder to play against....which IMHO he had a point.

I had to look it up.  Karmanos is Associate GM. Forton is Assistant GM. I hope this is no impact to Jason and his role.  

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

God, I hope you're right.

The fact you would even have to consider those kinds of shenanigans because of your owner...

But we've all seen the evidence.

Like I said, it’s not unique to Buffalo. Knowing how to placate the powers that be is an art form and vital to success. Marv Levy heeded  Mary Wilson’s advice to keep Ralph happy and upper management has been doing it since ownership stopped actually running the businesses they own. It made Dale Carnegie rich and is really vital to corporate success.

• Like (+1) 2

What were his duties during his tenure in Buffalo?  

Over the last 7 drafts our drafting has been significantly better.  Didn’t Forton have a significant role in those drafts? 

Didn’t Karmanos get his start in the NHL through nepotism?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My speculative guess (based on how Pegula has operated so far) is if Adams fails to get them into the playoffs this year he will be fired and Forton will be named as the new GM. Which would be absurd, but I'd bet on it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

My speculative guess (based on how Pegula has operated so far) is if Adams fails to get them into the playoffs this year he will be fired and Forton will be named as the new GM. Which would be absurd, but I'd bet on it.

So basically you're saying that if Adams fails this summer, we're hitting the reset button with the ultimate manifestation of the Peter Principle in charge of the next 4-year rebuild?

Sabrespace crumbles to dust as even @PromoTheRobot admits defeat and adopts the Bandits as his full-time team.

And @PASabreFan is left alone in the wasteland, wearing his tattered Larry Mickey jersey and gloating in the devastation of his ultimate victory.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So basically you're saying that if Adams fails this summer, we're hitting the reset button with the ultimate manifestation of the Peter Principle in charge of the next 4-year rebuild?

Sabrespace crumbles to dust as even @PromoTheRobot admits defeat and adopts the Bandits as his full-time team.

And @PASabreFan is left alone in the wasteland, wearing his tattered Larry Mickey jersey and gloating in the devastation of his ultimate victory.

That only happens if the Sabres become successful.

star park GIF

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He gets a raise and better title obviously, but does it mean anything for the Sabres?

This is a new position; nobody moved on.

He's still below Adams and Karmanos on the org chart. He's still part of the inner circle that includes Ventura, Jakubowski and Crowe.

Does it mean more and different duties? A new chief scout getting hired?

Has he been given more power and influence, or has he been quietly moved to a flashier but less important role?

Hard one to read, but I'm going to consider a token move until something else drops.

57 minutes ago, tom webster said:

This is has me worried 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.