NHL Salary cap goes up to 88M

6 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

This is what it would take to get to the playoffs. Stamkos would not come here in a miiiiiiiillion years though. 

The idea that a couple high-profile free agents is going to get us into the playoffs is false in my view.

We certainly need additions to fill the holes, but no outsider short of McDavid is going to make enough of a difference if we don't get the best versions of guys who are already here:

Specifically, Thompson, Cozens, Quinn, Power and Samuelsson; 5 good players who can give far more than they did last year.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The idea that a couple high-profile free agents is going to get us into the playoffs is false in my view.

We certainly need additions to fill the holes, but no outsider short of McDavid is going to make enough of a difference if we don't get the best versions of guys who are already here:

Specifically, Thompson, Cozens, Quinn, Power and Samuelsson; 5 good players who can give far more than they did last year.

Possibly, but I think Thompson already peaked, Cozens is a 3rd line center (imo), and this team has zero leadership with skill, I mean ZERO. Someone like Stamkos would turn this team around instantly (leadership and sick skill). I believe they need someone like him and 75% of the bottom 6 need to be replaced. 

10 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Possibly, but I think Thompson already peaked, Cozens is a 3rd line center (imo), and this team has zero leadership with skill, I mean ZERO. Someone like Stamkos would turn this team around instantly (leadership and sick skill). I believe they need someone like him and 75% of the bottom 6 need to be replaced. 

Based solely on last year, you can make that case. I think it’s overstated, but the bones are there.

Based on the ages and track records of the players, as well as historical NHL trends, I disagree (at least on Stamkos and the Sabre players - we do need 4 new bottom-sixers).

The good thing for you is that even if you’re wrong, you still win 😁

Edited by dudacek

12 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I agree with the sentiment but in no way can I see a guy like Stamkos coming here with some sort of motivation to drive this team forward. Kane I can imagine because of his childhood connection but Stamkos wouldn't come here to lead, he'd just be here for the money. If his motivation is a cup there are better landing spots including staying where he is. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

I'm halfway there with you. Cozens when you take into account his whole game hasn't shown to me to be a worthy center for a top 2 line (yet). Maybe he will get there? but I don't see it yet. I still think his style of play is better suited for wing.  Thompson on the other hand I hope/think will get back to 50 goals or more this coming season (barring injury). I believe he was playing through a nagging injury and his shooting percentage will go back up to 15% which will get him near the 50 goal mark.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree with the sentiment but in no way can I see a guy like Stamkos coming here with some sort of motivation to drive this team forward. Kane I can imagine because of his childhood connection but Stamkos wouldn't come here to lead, he'd just be here for the money. If his motivation is a cup there are better landing spots including staying where he is. 

I am not sure why Kane would ever come here. This is the city where he almost lost his career or even his freedom. Too much attention, too many expectations and too many questions that would never go away. Stamkos on the other hand seems to be motivated by money which to him means respect. I don't know how he would feel about playing here but he has felt insulted buy Tampa's offers before. I doubt he has anything against the Sabre's but he would come at a very high price. I don't think I would worry about his motivation.  

6 hours ago, Jorcus said:

I am not sure why Kane would ever come here. This is the city where he almost lost his career or even his freedom. Too much attention, too many expectations and too many questions that would never go away. Stamkos on the other hand seems to be motivated by money which to him means respect. I don't know how he would feel about playing here but he has felt insulted buy Tampa's offers before. I doubt he has anything against the Sabre's but he would come at a very high price. I don't think I would worry about his motivation.  

It's a final contract. Do you really want a mercenary on a final contract? That's the first guy to quit if things get tough. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's a final contract. Do you really want a mercenary on a final contract? That's the first guy to quit if things get tough. 

Is this an opinion on Stamkos or all NHL players of his age and class? I think that would eliminate a lot of UFA's. There are pluses and minus to bringing in Stamkos. The big one is what it would prevent you from doing otherwise. Also he had a pretty bad plus minus last year I don't know if his ability is degrading or not. That aside he would fill a giant hole on this team at center. My concerns about him would be physical in nature not that he would be a quitter. 

Edited by Jorcus

I wouldn’t be concerned with a Stamkos quitting on the team.  The only way he and a Kane level player come here is with an agreement that they get moved at the deadline if the Sabres aren’t a playoff team.

1 hour ago, Jorcus said:

Is this an opinion on Stamkos or all NHL players of his age and class? I think that would eliminate a lot of UFA's. There are pluses and minus to bringing in Stamkos. The big one is what it would prevent you from doing otherwise. Also he had a pretty bad plus minus last year I don't know if his ability is degrading or not. That aside he would fill a giant hole on this team at center. My concerns about him would be physical in nature not that he would be a quitter. 

What giant hole is that? 

I think I may be one of the few who expect a healthy Tage and a year older Cozens to produce better this year with Ruff.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What giant hole is that? 

I think I may be one of the few who expect a healthy Tage and a year older Cozens to produce better this year with Ruff.

We need more than 2. I don't want Krebs as my 3rd line center. If Stamkos or other high end center pushed Cozens down to third line we will be better off. It's nothing against the Tage and Cozens this is more of an issue with Krebs. I don't think Stamkos is coming here but if he did I would be happy. We can't go into the season with what we have now.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

What giant hole is that? 

Past 3 years combined

• Steven Stamkos  242 games, 116 goals, 39 goals per 82 GP
  • Tage Thompson 234 games, 114 goals, 40 goals per 82 GP

I think a lot of Sabrespace is choosing to look at Tage (and Cozens) like 2022/23 never happened.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Past 3 years combined

• Steven Stamkos  242 games, 116 goals, 39 goals per 82 GP
  • Tage Thompson 234 games, 114 goals, 40 goals per 82 GP

I think a lot of Sabrespace is choosing to look at Tage (and Cozens) like 2022/23 never happened.

I think its more likely than not that Tage approaches (or exceeds) 50 goals this coming year, without an injury. I posted about this back in March or April, here is a shortened version: 

Tage had an arm or a wrist injury. Sometimes that injury can heal enough that you can play, but it can impact production big time from scorers.

Who else had a wrist injury that he played through? Look 1.5 hours north to Austin Matthews.

2 seasons before Matthews wrist injury: 41 goals in 52 games (65 goal pace per 82)

1 season before his wrist injury:  60 goals in 73 games (67 goal per 82 pace).

Year he played through the wrist injury: 40 goals in 74 games (44 goal per 82 pace)

Year after his wrist injury: 53 goals in 58 games (75 goal pace)

So, a guy (Matthews) who is a big time scorer averaged 66 goals per 82 games without a wrist injury....the season he plays through a wrist injury his goal production drops 33% the season he has the injury....then when he gets a full year off his production goes back up to (and beyond) what it was before the injury.

Now Tage...

2 seasons before his wrist injury: 38 goals in 78 games (40 goal pace)

1 season before his wrist injury: 47 goals in 78 games (almost a 50 goal pace)

year of his wrist injury (this year) 18 goals in 50 games (30 goal pace)

With Tage, a guy who is a big time scorer averaged 45 goals per 82 games without a wrist injury...the season he plays through it his goal production drops 33% the season he has the injury...With a full season off to heal his wrist, AND in his prime at 27 years of age, is there a chance he exceeds is prior production? Maybe.

The naysayers will say no...but I like to bring this up as a possible positive.  Tage isn't Matthews, but the similarities in their injury, in how it impacts production at the same time and the same point...very similar.   Something to think about.

I looked into one other things....Matthews shooting percentage those 2 seasons before his wrist injury was 17.7. It went down to 12.2 the year of his injury (5.5 points lower).  He took about the same number of shots per game (4.4 vs 4.6), just his percentage was down.

Tage's shooting percentage the 2 years before his wrist injury this year was 15.5. It is down to 10.0 this year....(5.5 points lower). He has taken about the same number of shots per game (3.5 vs 3.6) but his percentage is just down.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Jorcus said:

It's a general possibility is all I'm saying so why do it? Remember Taylor Hall? Couldn't get the money he wanted so he came here on a short term deal and screwed us. It happens. Stamkos already has cups so I think all he wants now is cash. 

12 hours ago, Jorcus said:

We need more than 2. I don't want Krebs as my 3rd line center. If Stamkos or other high end center pushed Cozens down to third line we will be better off. It's nothing against the Tage and Cozens this is more of an issue with Krebs. I don't think Stamkos is coming here but if he did I would be happy. We can't go into the season with what we have now.  

Florida is going to win the Cup with Erod as their number two center. 
I want Buffalo to add another top center but there isn’t a blue print to building a Cup contender. Every winner is built differently.

• Like (+1) 4

On 6/13/2024 at 11:44 AM, dudacek said:

Absolutely disagree 

After what we heard from Kevyn Adams about the complacency in the locker room last year, a reflection of their GM’s offseason, it’s exceptionally easy to see that we could reasonably expect more of the same reflection should the GM yet again fail to be proactive.

You have it backwards. It’s not “we won’t be good regardless unless the guys here are better” its

”the guys here aren’t going to be good enough unless they are adequately complemented by outside addition this offseason” 

The additions are important both to aid the overall talent level, but to facilitate the talent we have both literally, and especially especially mentally 

I can’t for the life of me square this opinion that Adams was right to address culture, yet the complete ignoring of it now as far as what they take from how he operates

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Absolutely disagree 

After what we heard from Kevyn Adams about the complacency in the locker room last year, a reflection of their GM’s offseason, it’s exceptionally easy to see that we could reasonably expect more of the same reflection should the GM yet again fail to be proactive.

You have it backwards. It’s not “we won’t be good regardless unless the guys here are better” its

”the guys here aren’t going to be good enough unless they are adequately complemented by outside addition this offseason” 

The additions are important both to aid the overall talent level, but to facilitate the talent we have both literally, and especially especially mentally 

I can’t for the life of me square this opinion that Adams was right to address culture, yet the complete ignoring of it now as far as what they take from how he operates

To me, “absolutely disagree” means you think the Sabres can be fixed by just a couple of prime free agents, but that’s not what the rest of your post talks about.

You clearly think the Sabres need to make additions, which I clearly think and wrote as well.

What exactly are we disagreeing about?

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

To me, “absolutely disagree” means you think the Sabres can be fixed by just a couple of prime free agents, but that’s not what the rest of your post talks about.

You clearly think the Sabres need to make additions, which I clearly think and wrote as well.

What exactly are we disagreeing about?

I suppose my distinction here is that your post leaves the door open to, should we have another inactive offseason, write the offseason off as “well it wouldn’t have mattered, anyway” if we see something similar to last year re: the core, during the season. 

This is a tact I see used around here a lot, even if not by you, so I feel the distinction has merit and should be raised: “wouldn’t have mattered if KA brought in a goalie…our PP was too weak”…”we wouldn’t have won last year even with a more proactive offseason if that’s what we were going to get from Tage and Cozens”..

I don’t believe these things to be independent events, nor those types of statements accurate. I do believe a lot of what we will see from the core depends on the approach KA takes this offseason, tangibly but mostly mentally. So, in the hypothetical situation our core underperforms after a generally lacklustre offseason, we’d be left wondering how that core might have performed with a better offseason, not talking about how offseason additions wouldn’t have mattered because of what we got from the core.

too fluid and dependent 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.