Dan Dunleavy popular among fanbase?

Stads

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Stads said:

"There’s a little bit of Ted Darling in how I call the game — some long-time Sabres fans might pick up on that.”

https://www.wivb.com/sports/a-day-in-the-life-of-sabres-play-by-play-broadcaster-dan-dunleavy/

yeesh. i’ve never once picked up on that. and i was raised on darling’s call.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So wait, were they doing experiments on his dog before he rescued Timmy?!

and 11-year-old Timmy, a laboratory-beagle rescue.”

Well, I'm sure Dan wasn't performing the experiments.

I don't always like his calls but I follow him on Twitter and he does seem to be one of the nicer guys around.  Devoted to his wife through her battle with cancer, animal lover, music lover, etc.  I think he's a great guy.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Well, I'm sure Dan wasn't performing the experiments.

I don't always like his calls but I follow him on Twitter and he does seem to be one of the nicer guys around.  Devoted to his wife through her battle with cancer, animal lover, music lover, etc.  I think he's a great guy.

I don't doubt that he's a good guy, but IMHO his play by play is really bad.  Just try following the on-ice play without benefit of a television (i.e. radio only - good luck with that).  The Sabres organization is content with mediocrity, whether it is the media (DD, no SOG counter, etc.) and also the national anthem singers....they're all pretty mediocre at best....and often worse than that.

He and Ray talk way too much during actual play. 

For example here is the Dunleavy’s call of Dylan Cozens first goal

Compared to the Capitals call of the same goal 

Benson’s First was much better 

Compared to the Capitals Call

Edited by Brawndo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don’t honestly have an issue with Dan.

He isn’t good as a radio PbP guy for sure but on TV he’s fine. Ray and Dan get caught up in conversation a bit too often but with how this team has been I’m not exactly all that surprised. Sadly, gone are the days of RJ’s ilk and the old HNIC guys. Most newer school announcers are more akin to Dan because announcers nowadays are trained more to give a dictation on what’s happened whereas old announcers gave a more story telling feel as it happened.

Edited by thewookie1

There are much worse, lets say he is in middle of the pack when it comes to PBP.   But yeah should call the play more than having random conversations.

If he wants to do that more he should be the PBP guy for the Tour de france, can talk about the history of each chateau, where you can find good wine, and talk about the families of each cyclist 😛

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's fine. His biggest flaw is he's not RJ.

RJ has nothing to do with it. His biggest flaw is that he simply cannot keep up with the play. That’s not so bad for the tv audience, but it’s beyond a disservice to the radio listeners. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

RJ has nothing to do with it. His biggest flaw is that he simply cannot keep up with the play. That’s not so bad for the tv audience, but it’s beyond a disservice to the radio listeners. 

RJ was the same way toward the end. That and Rob Ray telling long stories while play is on. The answer is for WGR to hire their own radio team. Paul Hamilton is right there. I'm sure he'd love to do it. But like all things, it comes down to money. And Audacy, WGR's owner, is bankrupt.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

RJ was the same way toward the end. That and Rob Ray telling long stories while play is on. The answer is for WGR to hire their own radio team. Paul Hamilton is right there. I'm sure he'd love to do it. But like all things, it comes down to money. And Audacy, WGR's owner, is bankrupt.

As a frequent radio listener, RJ was really good right up until the end. Sure he'd slipped a bit and didn't quite get a name right in time, but that's a completely different level than Dunleavy where sometimes you don't know a goal was scored or what team scored it.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

As a frequent radio listener, RJ was really good right up until the end. Sure he'd slipped a bit and didn't quite get a name right in time, but that's a completely different level than Dunleavy where sometimes you don't know a goal was scored or what team scored it.

I'm not saying RJ slipped, just that they really forgot about radio listeners. They called a TV game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/10/2024 at 12:35 AM, Stads said:

I don't know who scored until 3-5 seconds after a goal goes in. The DD-Razor banter about nonsense as the play is going on is insufferable.  

Bullseye.  I'm not hypercritical of play calling but this seems to be the norm these days with multiple announcers. Can they not see the uniform numbers and feel senseless banter is a good backup ?  It;s a big comedown from Rick and Ted Darling who raised the excitement level at the proper times with precise play by play. 

• Agree 1