Dan Dunleavy popular among fanbase?

Stads

Now that I’m streaming games I feel like our broadcast crew could be so much worse. I could not listen to the broadcasters in Boston (not just because Boston) they made me actually cringe several times and the 1 older guy sounded like he couldn’t care less a game was being played in front of his eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Be innovative, but intelligent about the way they do so.  (This isn't directed at the Sabres but the league as a whole.)  Heck, they actually DID do something innovative on Saturday.  They broadcast the game with an ASL interpreter doing the play by play on one of the alternate ESPN channels.  Didn't watch it or even know about it before it happened, but THAT is innovative.  No idea if they did anything to highlight where the puck was as watching the announcer would necessarily distract from following the play on ice (tough to watch 2 things closely at once).  But for once, the league was thinking outside the box.  (It was likely ESPN's idea and not the league's so they could test it out on a sport that gets lower ratings and work out the bugs there before implementing it in NFL coverage.)

I wonder what the ASL signs though. It can't be the names (other than maybe goals) because of how long they take to spell out, so are they just describing the action that you can already see? Or telling stories about the players? 🙂

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I wonder what the ASL signs though. It can't be the names (other than maybe goals) because of how long they take to spell out, so are they just describing the action that you can already see? Or telling stories about the players? 🙂

No data.  Thus the "(d)idn't watch it or even know about it before it happened, but THAT is innovative" part of the post.  😉 

Also, though am just outside Ra-cha-cha, which is still kind of a hub for the deaf community, had not known what the differences are between ASL and say the "Rochester Method" or other sign languages.  (Knew Ra-cha-cha had its own thing going for a time.  Never really learned much about it (still haven't).  (Add one more item to the seemingly endless "to-do someday" list.))

21 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Regardless, my bet is that the ASL play by play is much faster and more coherent than whatever Dunleavy offers up. 

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No data.  Thus the "(d)idn't watch it or even know about it before it happened, but THAT is innovative" part of the post.  😉 

Also, though am just outside Ra-cha-cha, which is still kind of a hub for the deaf community, had not known what the differences are between ASL and say the "Rochester Method" or other sign languages.  (Knew Ra-cha-cha had its own thing going for a time.  Never really learned much about it (still haven't).  (Add one more item to the seemingly endless "to-do someday" list.))

Interesting, I didn't know about Rochester Method! I knew there were different ways to sign but regional differences are fascinating.

EDIT: Oh, interesting: Rochester method is finger-spelling the English in full, as opposed to words having unique signs.

Edited by MattPie
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

But the Manningcast is VERY unique in that though it isn't giving the pbp, it also isn't telling those carefully crafted stories about the players.  They're telling stories, but they're watching the game and actually ENJOYING it.  (Doesn't hurt that they're up against the insufferable Joe Buck and Troy Aikman either.  If the networks never hire another legendary announcer's kid again, it'll still be too soon.)  And though they are bantering throughout the game, the game is actually the centerpiece of the banter.  It isn't about what Pat Mahomes HS Shop Teacher's favorite lunch item happens to be or some other equally unrelated item.  It might be about something the guest fan of the quarter they brought in did but it still ends up in relation to THEIR fanhood.  

Would actually probably be pretty entertaining to have a couple of former player brothers banter completely for the full game.  (Think the Hunter brothers could take a couple hours per week out of their schedule of running an OHL team to do so?  That could be fun as heck.)

Go full on Manningcast or go to Danny Gallivan Dick Irvin, Ted Darling Pat Hannigan, RJ Lorentz.  But enough of this mushy middle that comes across as not caring about the game itself and is purely pandering to somehow get people that don't follow hockey to like it by not paying attention to it NOR enjoying it.

And one more item that helps the Manningcast's popularity.  There is ONE football game each week that gets that treatment.  If they ALL did, it'd likely get old quickly.  (So that suggestion to have the Huntercast was strictly to do ONE game per week (or even 1 every 2 - 3 weeks), not to make that the regular primary broadcast of YOUR Buffalo Sabres.)

Yes, the ManningCast is unique... or was.  You'll see more of these types of alternative broadcasts in the future. The real point of my story was that the youth are consuming media very differently and its changing more rapidly than ever. These adaptations are just the beginning.  ESPN I believe had a stat cast going for the NHL game as well where different analytics were being put up in the borders and a player tracker at the bottom listing who was on the ice, how long, and then would change as players left or joined play.

Kids brains are rewired to consume far more information at once.  Back to the Future 2 wasn't far off in them watching multiple screens of content at once and consuming it fairly well.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Remember when we heard, “Perreault winding up behind his own net … “ and we could follow that radio call all the way down the ice? Lost art indeed. 

Well, when you couldn't watch it, or the quality on TV was so low it was imperative to have a strong narrative skill.  Very much a lost art, but one that's hardly needed these days unfortunately.

People used to listen to the radio when they could not be at home or it was not on TV.  Now people just stream the broadcast on their phones while driving or riding.

As one of RJ's biggest fans, I knew no one could replace him, and I was ready for that. The problem is, as many have said he CANNOT call the game on the radio... THE LISTENER SIMPLY HAS NO IDEA WHATS GOING ON. My kids play travel sports out of town and I'm on the road all winter, so I listen to a lot of Sabres radio.

I seem to recall Duff doing a game and thought he was pretty good. Much better than Dunleavy.

I actually like Dunleavy as a personality so I think it would be good if him and Duff changed roles. 

He’s not very good. Seems like a good dude. I’m probably not the best person to ask here because of how much RJ ruined it all for me for other broadcasters

9 hours ago, Weave said:

Maybe when the Sabres are decent I will care enough to notice.

I will definitely have a more balanced opinion when this happens id wager  

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

That said, "widespread praise" is a weird conclusion to draw. And the one area where he must improve is calling goals. We cannot have a 50-word narrative start when the puck crosses the goal line that ends with words like "... and Tage Thompson has put the Sabres in the lead, 1-0!"

His “scores” call isn’t good

scooooooooooooooores. 

Sounds like an air siren. It’s like you want to hear a higher toned inflection during the “ooo” part and his octave goes deeper, if anything.

it sounds like from the part I have queued up to when it quiets down the first time 

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

They're selling stories (narratives!) as much as (more than?) they're selling the on-ice activity.

We see this marketing philosophy writ large for things like the Super Bowl -- with hours of pre-game coverage and dozens of stories.

Not just sports. Sports entertainment.

I've said it here a dozen times, so I apologize for repeating myself: Vince McMahon (gross as he is) understood this better and far earlier than any pro sports league commissioner.

Excellent post. 

It’s not a coincidence wwe is drawing its highest ratings in years. Definite boom period for them. They have the model 

And thankfully Vince is gone 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Stads said:

The Results: In his second full season as Sabres play-by-play broadcaster, Dunleavy continues to earn widespread praise from Sabres fans. That’s impressive, given the impossible task he was thrust into of replacing the late, great Rick Jeanneret.

“Dunleavy had big shoes to fill but has done it well,” wrote one Sabres fan.

“Dan Dunleavy is among the best play-by-play guys in hockey today, and in a market where everyone grew up with Rick Jeanneret, it’s all the more impressive that he earned the respect of the fans and has been accepted as the new voice of the Sabres,” wrote another.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

I like Dan Dunleavy.  I follow him on Twitter and he is about as good a guy as there is.  But as far as a play-by-play guy?  Oof.  He needs to work on a few things.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

True that RJ will not be matched, and no one is going to come in and copy him.  His hysterics were not for everyone but they became legendary, and his knowledge of the game was right up there. 

But just get someone that keeps up with the play, knows how to communicate puck position, knows the player names on both teams, gets more excited for our team than the opponent, and knows how to make a great call on a big play.  

What you are seeking is a radio play by play announcer.  That’s where RJ made his chops and never really backed off the style.   Most Sabres fans have come to expect that radio style of describing every single detail.  Dan can from TV.  His style has lots of gaps and holes intentionally to let the game fill in and give the color guy some air.  Dan’s style doesn’t translate well to radio. If that’s where you consume the Sabres, you will be disappointed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

But do you listen when other teams are not playing the Sabres?

The color guys especially. They. Are. Terrible. Most of them make Rob sound like a Rhodes scholar.

Attached is a list from Wiki.  Red font is Color commentators whom I would consider listening to Ray over.  I've tried on multiple occasions sitting through, and whether it's the Sabres or another team, they didn’t provide the insight or enlightenment I seek.  Green is significantly better, and there is absolutely no question which broadcast I'm listening to if I have an option.  Note that Brick should have an asterisk, as he has an annoying Boston accent, but is well prepared for each game and better at his job than Ray.  Just hate everything thing about Boston.  Those with black font are slightly better or equal, but may have a better PBP partner that tips the scales.  More Green than Red, and certainly more Green and Black than Red. 

Team.docx

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

My dislike of Dunleavy has absolutely nothing to do with RJ in the least. And the fact that other PBP guys around the league are just as bad as Dunleavy doesn’t elevate him in the least, either. It seems radio play by play is a lost art. Much to the detriment of the audience. 

This is it.  My youngest son once told me “nobody listens to the radio”.   It turned out he is right.  

5 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

While I totally agree with you, who is listening to the local radio station as their primary source of the broadcast in 2024?

Maybe for 15 min in the car on a random night? Most people just check their yahoo/espn app for a score update when they’re not home. I haven’t seen Nielsen ratings, but they most be very low.

I get it, most of the rest of the league still has two broadcast teams—one for tv and one for radio…so why shouldn’t we also have that?  

But in reality, it doesn’t make a whole lot of financial sense to invest money in a radio only broadcast team.  It is a dying entity (and this is coming from someone who worked in radio).  

I get it.  I only listen to it when driving, which is rarely these days.  Otherwise I can stream it and watch it anywhere.  But you get good chops by doing radio and talking the details.  Dan will never have that, so he better get better at the rest of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This is it.  My youngest son once told me “nobody listens to the radio”.   It turned out he is right.  

I’ve read that a couple times, that nobody listens to radio and I have to quibble a bit with that assertion. While the listening audience may not be as large as it once was, the various radio networks for each team all have numerous affiliates. The Sabres have 10 affiliate stations on their network for instance. There are also various radio streaming options as well. Advertisers don’t pay for premium rates if the size of the listening audience doesn’t justify the investment. Anyway, the listeners, regardless of how many are being cheated with inferior play by play of the action. 

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

My dislike of Dunleavy has absolutely nothing to do with RJ in the least. And the fact that other PBP guys around the league are just as bad as Dunleavy doesn’t elevate him in the least, either. It seems radio play by play is a lost art. Much to the detriment of the audience. 

Right. It seems as if whomever Dan reports to feels his non radio style aka RJs style is sufficient.  It can be maddening listening in the radio but I think his style suits TV, where he came from. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Attached is a list from Wiki.  Red font is Color commentators whom I would consider listening to Ray over.  I've tried on multiple occasions sitting through, and whether it's the Sabres or another team, they didn’t provide the insight or enlightenment I seek.  Green is significantly better, and there is absolutely no question which broadcast I'm listening to if I have an option.  Note that Brick should have an asterisk, as he has an annoying Boston accent, but is well prepared for each game and better at his job than Ray.  Just hate everything thing about Boston.  Those with black font are slightly better or equal, but may have a better PBP partner that tips the scales.  More Green than Red, and certainly more Green and Black than Red. 

Team.docx 14.86 kB · 3 downloads

On the iPad, can’t view all the work you put in. Not sure I care all that much anyway, but can appreciate it.

I’m just glad I don’t mind our broadcast team, the Sabres are already hard enough to watch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

What you are seeking is a radio play by play announcer.  That’s where RJ made his chops and never really backed off the style.   Most Sabres fans have come to expect that radio style of describing every single detail.  Dan can from TV.  His style has lots of gaps and holes intentionally to let the game fill in and give the color guy some air.  Dan’s style doesn’t translate well to radio. If that’s where you consume the Sabres, you will be disappointed. 

Dan isn't lacking in details. Rick never once uttered the phrases left point, near side or right wing half wall.

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

Right. It seems as if whomever Dan reports to feels his non radio style aka RJs style is sufficient.  It can be maddening listening in the radio but I think his style suits TV, where he came from. 

I don’t disagree that his style is suited for TV. As I’ve said numerous times he can get away with that style for a TV audience while the radio audience is left in the lurch because he simply can’t provide an adequate description of the action. It’s too bad that we can’t have a dedicated radio broadcast as well, like it was back in the day.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I am sure Dan is a "good guy" and he had enormous shoes to fill. That said... he cannot do the job! He is OHL or AHL worthy... NOT FOR THE SABRES! the game moves too quickly for him. The few times I listened on the radio, I felt like he was 30 seconds behind. We need a personality that can "jab" with Razor, be objective with the call on the ice and show emotion in good times and bad. I can handle a solid opinion even if I do not agree with it. Spend $$$ and give the fan base what it deserves!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1