Cap Friendly purchased by Washington Capitals; Will cease to function after UFA in July

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

He's not wrong. It's a small and weird subset of people. Most people want to enjoy the game.

What right does anyone have to Brad Marchand's salary figures?

If this were not a salary cap league I might agree but other than the IR loophole this is a pretty tightly restricted salary cap. The numbers are an important part of the puzzle. What can a team afford to pay now, what can they afford to pay later? Why did they keep this guy and not that guy. The importance of knowing came to be with free agency. It's the internet age we are going to find out what a play gets paid no mater how many websites get sold. Any fan who wants to think about a trade or getting a free agent has to think about the salary. I like to think about it. How can I blame a GM for not spending money unless I know what kind of position he is in? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

If this were not a salary cap league I might agree but other than the IR loophole this is a pretty tightly restricted salary cap. The numbers are an important part of the puzzle. What can a team afford to pay now, what can they afford to pay later? Why did they keep this guy and not that guy. The importance of knowing came to be with free agency. It's the internet age we are going to find out what a play gets paid no mater how many websites get sold. Any fan who wants to think about a trade or getting a free agent has to think about the salary. I like to think about it. How can I blame a GM for not spending money unless I know what kind of position he is in? 

I never used to worry about salaries but now it rules over all trades and signings. I don’t peruse Cap Friendly daily or even weekly but I go there occasionally to see who is in cap hell, how could the Sabres help them by helping themselves, or to compare salaries for an upcoming UFA/RFA.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jorcus said:

If this were not a salary cap league I might agree but other than the IR loophole this is a pretty tightly restricted salary cap. The numbers are an important part of the puzzle. 

49 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I don’t peruse Cap Friendly daily or even weekly but I go there occasionally to see who is in cap hell, how could the Sabres help them by helping themselves, or to compare salaries for an upcoming UFA/RFA.

What a small and weird subset of people we have on this message board.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Great read. This especially:

“What won’t be a question is that the NHL won’t like [published salary data] because the NHL is a small town disguised as a $6.5-billion (U.S.) sports league. The league considers its salaries to be proprietary information, and more or less thinks fans should just watch the hockey, eh? Which is about as reductive a view of a sports league as you can imagine. You! Watch game! Buy tickets, hats, jerseys! No think! Be fan!”

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

What a small and weird subset of people we have on this message board.

I'm going to guess morbidly obese and weird.

Yes, in the overall universe of Sabres fans, those who delve that deeply into the salary cap, CBA etc. are small in relative number. Weird is subjective. I find it very weird.

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm going to guess morbidly obese and weird.

Take it easy with the body-shaming humour, Pops. Very out of step with current mores.

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes, in the overall universe of Sabres fans, those who delve that deeply into the salary cap, CBA etc. are small in relative number. Weird is subjective. I find it very weird.

There's the latest shift in what's being criticized as being a "small" group of Sabre (hockey) fans.

The extent to which Sabre (hockey) fans consult a resource like Cap Friendly exists on a continuum. Lots of people access the site. I'm an older Gen Xer, and I would consult it occasionally.

I encourage you to take an L here. 

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

If the NHL is the one looking sideways at the data, why is the Washington Capitals specifically buying it up?

Something seems off.

Well, perhaps because the name is capfriendly the NHL could encourage Washington to buy it for their new fan site? 

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Take it easy with the body-shaming humour, Pops. Very out of step with current mores.

There's the latest shift in what's being criticized as being a "small" group of Sabre (hockey) fans.

The extent to which Sabre (hockey) fans consult a resource like Cap Friendly exists on a continuum. Lots of people access the site. I'm an older Gen Xer, and I would consult it occasionally.

Using the word mores is very out of step with current mores.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Great read. This especially:

“What won’t be a question is that the NHL won’t like [published salary data] because the NHL is a small town disguised as a $6.5-billion (U.S.) sports league. The league considers its salaries to be proprietary information, and more or less thinks fans should just watch the hockey, eh? Which is about as reductive a view of a sports league as you can imagine. You! Watch game! Buy tickets, hats, jerseys! No think! Be fan!”

If Salary information isn't available when it is so much part of factor in building your team, that is a big minus to me.

I used to be a "just watch the game" and "just buy the merchandise" person...up until the time I was about 14 years old.  Most sports for me now...what brings me back is large part the discussion..the talk with other fans about the structure of teams....the thinking not only of what each trade/signing will mean on the ice right now, but how it will impact the team going forward.

Take that away, and I'm still a fan I guess, I'll still watch the games, but I'll be much less of a fan.  Oh, and if the NHL eventually launches a part of their website that has this information but at a cost (only available with a paid subscription), that is a big "No" for me.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

How bout ***** packing, sonny? You are quite fluid. You nobly defend women. It seems everyone else is open season.

I don't take Ls. If you surveyed every Sabre fan, 28.65% would know what CapFriendly is or was and only 62.14% of them would have visited the site. 

You are truly overestimating the number of fans who go to that length. I bet you think most fans comment on the team on social media/sites like this.

I'd even venture that most fans of the team have spent virtually no time this week thinking about the team. It's been the offseason for weeks.

• dislike 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

How bout ***** packing, sonny? You are quite fluid. You nobly defend women. It seems everyone else is open season.

Lol - I legit have no idea what the bleeped out word is.

"Sonny Smell" has a certain ring to it, no?

Also, do not come for my Woke Credentials, for they are impeccable.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't take Ls. If you surveyed every Sabre fan, 28.65% would know what CapFriendly is or was and only 62.14% of them would have visited the site. 

I chuckled.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You are truly overestimating the number of fans who go to that length. I bet you think most fans comment on the team on social media/sites like this.

I'd even venture that most fans of the team have spent virtually no time this week thinking about the team. It's been the offseason for weeks.

This isn't unfair. From a business development perspective, though, it's missing the mark. A league like the NHL should be doing everything in its power to cater to and grow the segment of its fanbase that is fairly rabid for the game (and all of its associated details). Call if their "small, weird cohort." The league stands to make an outsized amount of its revenue off that small weird cohort.

48 minutes ago, LTS said:

Well, perhaps because the name is capfriendly the NHL could encourage Washington to buy it for their new fan site? 

I don’t get it.  Explain it to me like I am 5.

No, seriously.  I mean it.