Cap Friendly purchased by Washington Capitals; Will cease to function after UFA in July

Brawndo

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Good. These sites should not exist. Why on earth should any fan care?

It's bizarre.

It's almost as though there is a multiplicity of ways in which people consume, enjoy, and follow sports. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

For their analytics team and computer software.  Instead analytics department.

But don’t they just report cap/contract numbers? I’m not as familiar with their offerings outside of just reporting cap numbers and salary comparables. 

19 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Take a step back. Five steps back. It's not bizarre?

Put 1970s' hockey in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, pour in the OG Dungeons and Dragons game. With a hand mixer, beat Dungeons and Dragons with variable speeds until it forms hard peaks. Gently fold Dungeons and Dragons into 1970s' hockey. Sprinkle with bits of Intel 8008 and MOS 6510 processors. Place in oven for approximately 4 decades.

Edited by ...
double the pleasure, double the fun!
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's almost as though there is a multiplicity of ways in which people consume, enjoy, and follow sports. 

What about chips? Should I want to or need to know Pringles' executive compensation? Does knowing that enhance enjoyment? Why isn't it enough to eat and enjoy the chips?

• dislike 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

What about chips? Should I want to or need to know Pringles' executive compensation? Does knowing that enhance enjoyment? Why isn't it enough to eat and enjoy the chips?

Why the ***** do you care how myself or others interact or enjoy the sport? If you don't like it than don't do it. You have absolutely no right, authority, or any other power to waltz in here and berate people about wanting to know what players make. Your argument here in this post is lazy, useless, and the worst strawman this board may have ever produced. For some knowing, what players make and how the leagues salary works is enjoyable, if you don't, that's fine. No one is telling you that you need to know or go to those places. I thought you were making a joke when I said the Gary comment because you sounded exactly like Bettman. Clearly you were not. If don't like knowing or discussing the salary cap, than don't.

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Pringles - a perfect analogy! One size fits all. The way life and sports fandom are supposed to be.🤦‍♂️🤦

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Chips are a product, not a sort of quasi public trust.

You taught me that distinction.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Chips are a product, not a sort of quasi public trust.

You taught me that distinction.

I believe my comparison was between the Sabres and Shea's. As a patron of Shea's, would you like to look through the books?

5 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Pringles - a perfect analogy! One size fits all. The way life and sports fandom are supposed to be.🤦‍♂️🤦

Playing GM or even one layer lower, studying the salary structures of the teams, might be part of fandom. But it's so far removed from what a sports fan is it's asinine.

The real issue I have of course is that Sabres fans have been reduced to this, the actual product having been so unconsumable.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why the ***** do you care how myself or others interact or enjoy the sport? If you don't like it than don't do it. You have absolutely no right, authority, or any other power to waltz in here and berate people about wanting to know what players make. Your argument here in this post is lazy, useless, and the worst strawman this board may have ever produced. For some knowing, what players make and how the leagues salary works is enjoyable, if you don't, that's fine. No one is telling you that you need to know or go to those places. I thought you were making a joke when I said the Gary comment because you sounded exactly like Bettman. Clearly you were not. If don't like knowing or discussing the salary cap, than don't.

By doing this, you're not enjoying the sport. Sorry. You're enjoying how the sausage is made.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Playing GM or even one layer lower, studying the salary structures of the teams, might be part of fandom. But it's so far removed from what a sports fan is it's asinine.

The real issue I have of course is that Sabres fans have been reduced to this, the actual product having been so unconsumable.

By doing this, you're not enjoying the sport. Sorry. You're enjoying how the sausage is made.

I’ve never visited cap friendly or any of those sites even once. I’m also somewhere near your age. I just can’t imagine telling other people how they should be enjoying things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I believe my comparison was between the Sabres and Shea's. As a patron of Shea's, would you like to look through the books?

Abso-f$%*ing-lutely.

In 2000, Shea's was nearly dead after being run into the ground by political patronage appointee Patrick Fagan. Fagan had no business mind, overspent and put Shea's into serious debt. Shea's was literally less than a year away from closing its doors when they dumped Fagan and put a real, no-nonsense business person in the President's seat. It'll be interesting to see what happens now as it seems history is repeating itself.

Shea's building itself is owned by the city. Shea's relies on donations. Shea's also relies on volunteers to run the shows and do restoration.

As a so-called cultural institution funded, in part, from government grants and protected, in part, by federal, state, and local law (ie. National Historic Site designations, etc.), we the people not only pay for much of what goes on there, but are also affected by the "culture" promoted by it. It is therefore in the public's interest to be advised of the details of the leadership, since much of what Shea's does is as a publicly funded and protected entity.

Edited by ...
p words
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

If you enjoy Pringles and choose to consume them, then you certainly should want to know as much about them as possible, especially their ingredients, nutritional value (or lack thereof) and the effects consuming Pringles has on your health.

If, for example, Pringles sold in the USA are made from a different menu of ingredients and have a different nutritional value (or lack thereof) then of those sold in Europe, then one might want to know why, especially if the European ingredient list can be deciphered without the use of a dictionary and Wikipedia. Upon an examination of the ingredients of the USA Pringles one discovers ingredients that have negative health consequences, one might want to discover why Pringles would do such a thing. One obvious place to look is at the leadership of Pringles to determine their motivations. As we know, compensation and lordships (ie. having a fiefdom and yielding power within it) are great motivators for the un-conscientious.

Edited by ...
where is my grammarly?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Move those goalposts, Pops!!

I don’t think the culturals inspire quite the same kind of inside baseball activities that you see in pro sports.

That said, rest assured that Tony and Linda (Shea’s sth’s since 1992) write lengthy emails to Shea’s president about restoration projects, shows that get booked (and not booked), the choice of junior development officers, and such. And then they kibitz about those same things at the Friday fish fry with Ed and Rene.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don’t think the culturals inspire quite the same kind of inside baseball activities that you see in pro sports.

I can tell you don't know this audience all too well.

Fan GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Edited by ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is all so ridiculous. The recent trend of needing to know every single detail about everything we interface with is long overdue. Combined with instant mass communication, the groups that are obsessed with details, no matter what the topic is, unearth details about that topic and broadcast them to the rest of society. We then learn, are better informed, and thus make better decisions as a society.

It flies in the face of the antiquated view that mommy and daddy government, that Bob and Jane commercial food preparers, and that Edna and Josef banker would always make sound, reasonable decisions that benefit all strata of society. This latter way of looking at the world has been proven to all but the most blind that it is naive, lazy, and ultimately critically dangerous. What do you think put the world in the position it's in now? Believing what you're told, caving into the pressure to accept the narrative, and lacking the insight and courage to ask questions.

Sure, it's only a hockey DB website on the surface, but what it really indicates is what I just said: a segmented, yet collective shattering of indifference or wilful ignorance to detail. Of course, we're not "there" yet. Many people are content to only be bothered within the narrow range of things that interest them. If only we could somehow accept the expansion of this activity throughout all areas of society. A boy can dream, I suppose.

So, its purchase and planned closure by the Commie Capitals is not only a huge slap in the face to NHL fans, but it is emphasizing the stark contrast between what it means to be informed, have access to data, and freely ponder the narratives presented to you and what it means to have information censored or completely removed and be left in the dark about reality.

Dang it, had something else to add, seeing as I took to the podium anyway. Something about bringing the proper, unmolested receipts to go along with the detail.

Edited by ...
bah

So, who's got the old spiral notebooks? I got pens and pencils. We'll need 32 different colored highlighters, a 12' x 8' white board with 4 erasers, a verbally well off articulate phone voice to call the teams for verification, 10 bottles of patron with 5 buckets of margarita mix and a DIY website.

I'm leaning towards "PA's Puck Palooza" as the site name.

Edited by Scottysabres

Capfriendly is an incredibly useful tool (accurate and quickly updated, too) and I will miss it.

If I wanted to know if X was still an RFA at the end of this contract, or if Y had a NMC, or what Z's cap hit vs. this season's salary was...  I could find the information myself in a few clicks, rather than waiting for some "hockey insider" or a reporter to tell me, particularly since they're just going to capfriendly anyway.

But I really just wanted to post that the Washington "Capfriendlies" doesn't have the same ring.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Capfriendly is an incredibly useful tool (accurate and quickly updated, too) and I will miss it.

If I wanted to know if X was still an RFA at the end of this contract, or if Y had a NMC, or what Z's cap hit vs. this season's salary was...  I could find the information myself in a few clicks, rather than waiting for some "hockey insider" or a reporter to tell me, particularly since they're just going to capfriendly anyway.

But I really just wanted to post that the Washington "Capfriendlies" doesn't have the same ring.

It's not like that was the only source of that information in the past.  And Puckpedia likely won't have a monopoly on that data either in the future.  (Not sure what else is out there.  Primarily used Puckpedia but went to CapFriendly if the answer to a Q wasn't readily obvious at PP.)