Cap Friendly purchased by Washington Capitals; Will cease to function after UFA in July

Brawndo

• 4 weeks later...

So... The site was working yesterday when I checked it but today it looks like it's officially done as on this morning.

Again... If anybody knows of a replacement or anybody knows of a similar site being put together, please post it so we all can visit when it's up if we ever get one.

I wish nothing but the worst for the Washington Capitals. But also, screw you Bettman. The NHL could have purchased this and kept it available to fans and GMs but that old useless dinosaur thinks no one cares about cap info (actually he's just a whiny bitch who's upset it exists in the public sector at all). So to tell hell with you Washington and Gary, eat rocks. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

On 6/10/2024 at 4:22 PM, DarthEbriate said:

Capfriendly is an incredibly useful tool (accurate and quickly updated, too) and I will miss it.

If I wanted to know if X was still an RFA at the end of this contract, or if Y had a NMC, or what Z's cap hit vs. this season's salary was...  I could find the information myself in a few clicks, rather than waiting for some "hockey insider" or a reporter to tell me, particularly since they're just going to capfriendly anyway.

But I really just wanted to post that the Washington "Capfriendlies" doesn't have the same ring.

I go to Sportrac if I want to see info on salary cap, RFA, UFA or anything else money related.

Edited by Ross Rhea

3 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

I go to Sportrac if I want to see info on salary cap, RFA, UFA or anything else money related.

It's actually spotrac (only one "r"):  https://www.spotrac.com/

Instead of going to a particular site, I typically just google the player's name and "salary" or "contract" and pick one of the sites that pop up.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wish nothing but the worst for the Washington Capitals. But also, screw you Bettman. The NHL could have purchased this and kept it available to fans and GMs but that old useless dinosaur thinks no one cares about cap info (actually he's just a whiny bitch who's upset it exists in the public sector at all). So to tell hell with you Washington and Gary, eat rocks. 

I hope that PLD has another one of his selfish little  hissy fits and wrecks the Caps locker room.  Washington can then choke on his remaining 7 year contract at >$8 million per season.

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

While I do agree with your sentiment here LG, I'm po'd at Pegula for not buying it.

Interestingly the account or person who managed the depth charts on capfriendly (something that somehow managed to be accurate and also get players positions right) is actually building a new site for depth charts. So that will be useful when it is up and running. 

Someone please shed a little light on this for me because I'm confused (😳). So, the Caps bought the site only to shut it down? And are not keeping any of the folks who created and ran it? If so, what was the purpose in all this?

11 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Someone please shed a little light on this for me because I'm confused (😳). So, the Caps bought the site only to shut it down? And are not keeping any of the folks who created and ran it? If so, what was the purpose in all this?

My understanding is that they bought the site to essentially hire the team that ran the site.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It's actually spotrac (only one "r"):  https://www.spotrac.com/

Instead of going to a particular site, I typically just google the player's name and "salary" or "contract" and pick one of the sites that pop up.

Yes sir, I stand corrected, thanks for catching that error. Good site for money info on all sports.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure how true this is, but someone in a Bills group I'm in said they don't use sportstrac because while it has a nicer interface, it's often wrong for NFL stuff and a lot of its data is actually just copied from Over the cap. I'm not sure how they get their NHL data, but if they were copying from CapFriendly that could be impacted. Maybe it's just their NFL data.

There has to be a decent number of people (agents mostly?) who shared contract details with Cap Friendly. Does puckpedia have those connections? Or sportstrac? I guess we'll see.

Personally I rarely used cap friendly, but I liked year by year view of the roster to see what the impact of each offseason might be. If sportstrac has accurate data moving forward, they have a nice version of that (https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/yearly). The puckpedia one (https://puckpedia.com/team/buffalo-sabres the click on "Full Roster Breakdown") is not as nice and every time I go to look for it, it takes me a bit of clicking around to find because I don't find it obvious.

19 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I'm not sure how true this is, but someone in a Bills group I'm in said they don't use sportstrac because while it has a nicer interface, it's often wrong for NFL stuff and a lot of its data is actually just copied from Over the cap. I'm not sure how they get their NHL data, but if they were copying from CapFriendly that could be impacted. Maybe it's just their NFL data.

There has to be a decent number of people (agents mostly?) who shared contract details with Cap Friendly. Does puckpedia have those connections? Or sportstrac? I guess we'll see.

Personally I rarely used cap friendly, but I liked year by year view of the roster to see what the impact of each offseason might be. If sportstrac has accurate data moving forward, they have a nice version of that (https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/yearly). The puckpedia one (https://puckpedia.com/team/buffalo-sabres the click on "Full Roster Breakdown") is not as nice and every time I go to look for it, it takes me a bit of clicking around to find because I don't find it obvious.

Have used Puckpedia for a long time.  (They bought out the old NHLnumbers site.)  Not as user friendly as CF was but they've modified their site around a lot the past few months to look more like CF.  Expect they'll likely continue working towards the CF style as they seem to be poised to get most of their traffic now.

If there's a particular page of a site you want but tend to have a heck of a time finding, why not bookmark that particular page?  It'll at least get you to a starting point even if the data you want is for Nov 17, 2025 and the bookmark shows you it for Oct 6, 2023.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If there's a particular page of a site you want but tend to have a heck of a time finding, why not bookmark that particular page?  It'll at least get you to a starting point even if the data you want is for Nov 17, 2025 and the bookmark shows you it for Oct 6, 2023.

Because it doesn't appear to have a unique url I can bookmark. The best I can do is bookmark the team page, but the year by year view doesn't have a sub url. It's a terrible design. Hopefully that's something they change.

But if you compare the 2 links in my posts you can see that sportstrac has a sub page for the "yearly" view I use. Cap friendly did as well

It looks like puckpedia is using a single page application (I'm a software developer by trade, so this is a bit of tech jargon), so likely if they want to have different tabs/subpages to be available as a bookmarks they'll have to add new logic to their application to allow for that kind of thing. It's typically not that hard depending on what framework they are using and how they manage the routing, but it requires each item get some custom handling. Of course without seeing their code I'm just guessing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2024 at 4:31 PM, LGR4GM said:

Now slide to right. Now slide to the list. Criss cross

It's just a jump to the left

And then a step to the right

With your hands on your hips

You bring your knees in tight

Let's do the Time Warp again

• Like (+1) 1