Cap Friendly purchased by Washington Capitals; Will cease to function after UFA in July

Brawndo

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm going to guess morbidly obese and weird.

Yes, in the overall universe of Sabres fans, those who delve that deeply into the salary cap, CBA etc. are small in relative number. Weird is subjective. I find it very weird.

Is that like saying people who don't appreciate fancy stats and team contract data are like tottering elderly people who don't understand why people can't drive a stick, manage a stringy comb-over with Brylcreem, and don't realize they should probably be grooming their frightfully bushy eyebrows?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

If Salary information isn't available when it is so much part of factor in building your team, that is a big minus to me.

I used to be a "just watch the game" and "just buy the merchandise" person...up until the time I was about 14 years old.  Most sports for me now...what brings me back is large part the discussion..the talk with other fans about the structure of teams....the thinking not only of what each trade/signing will mean on the ice right now, but how it will impact the team going forward.

Take that away, and I'm still a fan I guess, I'll still watch the games, but I'll be much less of a fan.  Oh, and if the NHL eventually launches a part of their website that has this information but at a cost (only available with a paid subscription), that is a big "No" for me.

It's pretty simple: while watching a game, a player on the enemy team impresses you to the point of asking yourself "what would it take to get a guy like that?" And *poof* the answer to that question is yours during the next commercial break. Team and league engagement rises by several quality points + satisfaction in easily finding the answer + time = NHL fan more committed to the NHL universe and more likely to spend money on said universe.

• Like (+1) 1

I want to drink wine and talk about the poem until the break of day. You want to delve into how the turmoil in Venezuela will impact the cost of carbon paper. You don't care about the poem. You are soulless. You are small, and weird.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I want to drink wine and talk about the poem until the break of day. You want to delve into how the turmoil in Venezuela will impact the cost of carbon paper. You don't care about the poem. You are soulless. You are small, and weird.

fscottfitzgerald1-2x.jpg

20 minutes ago, ... said:

Is that like saying people who don't appreciate fancy stats and team contract data are like tottering elderly people who don't understand why people can't drive a stick, manage a stringy comb-over with Brylcreem, and don't realize they should probably be grooming their frightfully bushy eyebrows?

You and Smell can try and make this about geezers, but I don't think that's what it's about.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Binary compartmentalization is the hobgoblin of a stunted mind.

Or this:

2 minutes ago, ... said:

fscottfitzgerald1-2x.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

You and Smell can try and make this about geezers, but I don't think that's what it's about.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

image.png.dbdced803ff6c83c7aee4222f10f6cf4.png

We wore onions on our belts! As that was the style. 

And we liked it.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As is the norm, if you poke and prod and probe (ooo la la) enough with PA, you reach something (arguably) beautiful. Maybe not correct. But artful and earnest.

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

As is the norm, if you poke and prod and probe (ooo la la) enough with PA, you reach something (arguably) beautiful. Maybe not correct. But artful and earnest.

image.png.53c615e69ab1b554653d5986f2f6c965.png

• Like (+1) 1

So look... If ya'll really want to enhance your enjoyment of the game, which you will argue is the end game of residing in the jingleweed of this stuff, devote your time to learning the game. Read books on strategy, watch videos. Because you don't really know what the ***** you're talking about when you evaluate games, plays, lines, coaches (nor do I). There's some tough love. Now I'm done. I will take the loser point and go to work and wish I was bingeing Seinfeld instead.

Edited by PASabreFan

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So look... If ya'll really want to enhance your enjoyment of the game, which you will argue is the end game of residing in the jingleweed of this stuff, devote your time to learning the game. Read books on strategy, watch videos. Because you don't really know what the ***** you're talking about when you evaluate games, plays, lines, coaches (nor do I). There's some tough love. Now I'm done. I will take the loser point and go to work and wish I was bingeing Seinfeld instead.

Deftly-managed. Both clever and obstinate. Full marks!

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So look... If ya'll really want to enhance your enjoyment of the game, which you will argue is the end game of residing in the jingleweed of this stuff, devote your time to learning the game. Read books on strategy, watch videos. 

And that’s just it. That’s the on-ice game. There’s also the off-ice game of the league that cap friendly and other sites provide. Roster construction, identifying the players who match your video and strategy research, determining their cost of acquisition (or time costs to train to proficiency), and keeping all the information on that of all players around the league.

They’re all different facets of fandom, none subjectively better than the other.

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The issue is natural selection. Think of which fan process will have been most rewarded and reinforced by following the Sabres these last 15 years and you’ll have your answer. The operative tool was textbook negative reinforcement. The negative aspect being “taken away” by this gradual shift in priority is the disappointment in losing.

Poetry is as much about feeling the pain as the joy and the poignancy that comes from the delicate balance between the two, so it doesn’t surprise me you haven’t had much interest in looking for silver linings in the losses and im much the same way:

I’d kill to have that feeling of the gut wrenching playoff loss again. Remember that? It’s that feeling where you can’t even yell and be mad, you just feel oddly flushed, and an odd, sinking feeling in your stomach.

It’s not the joy you lose over time, not really. You can be conditioned to love the draft steal. It’s that it’s a hollow joy because it’s not accompanied by the equal but opposite sense of despair that arises when your team goes down where it really matters.

There’s no true threat of failure if you go too far down the futures rabbit hole because it’s exceedingly difficult to fail by the parameters of the future when the future is, by definition, eternally abstract. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:03 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Vibes?

I'm old enough to appreciate someone who uses mores.

On 6/12/2024 at 12:15 PM, Weave said:

I don’t get it.  Explain it to me like I am 5.

No, seriously.  I mean it.

CAP Friendly.  I think that should explain it?  Washington CAPitals, the CAPs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don’t really get it either but it’s still a dick move on the Capitals.

To the fans, sure, but it seems like a good business move.

Sounds like 2/3rds of the league was using it and the Caps took that tool away from them.

Now those teams will have to invest time and resources building their own.

On 6/10/2024 at 1:39 PM, PASabreFan said:

Playing GM or even one layer lower, studying the salary structures of the teams, might be part of fandom. But it's so far removed from what a sports fan is it's asinine.

The real issue I have of course is that Sabres fans have been reduced to this, the actual product having been so unconsumable.

By doing this, you're not enjoying the sport. Sorry. You're enjoying how the sausage is made.

And why don’t you explain to the audience how you reconcile this random opinion with your incessant deep dives into the background of the owners of the team?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

And why don’t you explain to the audience how you reconcile this random opinion with your incessant deep dives into the background of the owners of the team?

They run the team. Poorly. There's no cottage industry of websites devoted to the Pegulas' background.

I could counter this asinine gotcha all day. It is not worth my time.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

They run the team. Poorly. There's no cottage industry of websites devoted to the Pegulas' background.

But it’s so far removed from what a sports fan is it’s asinine. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Let me get this straight, are you saying if there was a website that detailed all of the juicy little Pegula nuggets that you find so enthralling and displayed it in a nice detailed fashion you would not have gone there to do your 14 year long research?

That was a poorly thought out response.

Nitpicking the actions, both personal and team related, of an owner is team related and approved, but nitpicking NHL player resource allocation and comparing it to the current roster make-up is bizarre and whatever other other epithets you said?

Looks like someone took too many contrarian meds today.