Cap Friendly purchased by Washington Capitals; Will cease to function after UFA in July

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's not like that was the only source of that information in the past.  And Puckpedia likely won't have a monopoly on that data either in the future.  (Not sure what else is out there.  Primarily used Puckpedia but went to CapFriendly if the answer to a Q wasn't readily obvious at PP.)

It's a small, small network they utilize, apparently.

From their About Us page.

Sources

PuckPedia licenses data from the following partners:

www.RotoWire.com

www.eliteprospects.com

www.puckiq.com

I guess if can license data, you have all of the info you need to create a site like that. As the web creator you come up with the tools to process the data.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What about chips? Should I want to or need to know Pringles' executive compensation? Does knowing that enhance enjoyment? Why isn't it enough to eat and enjoy the chips?

I suppose if you were to ask any of the people who spend a large portion of their lives examining the pay of CEO's and debating their relative worth you might find a group that does care. They might even relate it to how horrible Pringle's are and discuss that the CEO is clearly not worth the pay. But this isn't a Pringles board, it's a hockey forum.  So on here, people do look at the analytics of hockey operations. They look at the money being spent and want to theorize about how to best construct a roster.

They enjoy what they enjoy while you enjoy what you enjoy.

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Can you imagine if the Sabres bought sabrespace loll

The tag line would be changed from "sharpen your point" to "end hate, choose love" and then all of us with over 1000 posts would be banned for life.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ... said:

The tag line would be changed from "sharpen your point" to "end hate, choose love" and then all of us with over 1000 posts would be banned for life.

“Death, or Exile?”

“You have chosen death: by exile.”

• Haha (+1) 1

Too bad some of you weren't smart enough and motivated enough to get jobs in hockey management.

Watch the movie and shut up about where AMC sources its popcorn "butter."

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

So, who's got the old spiral notebooks? I got pens and pencils. We'll need 32 different colored highlighters, a 12' x 8' white board with 4 erasers, a verbally well off articulate phone voice to call the teams for verification, 10 bottles of patron with 5 buckets of margarita mix and a DIY website.

I'm leaning towards "PA's Puck Palooza" as the site name.

In a twist of fate, Taro will make all 32 calls.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Move those goalposts, Pops!!

I don’t think the culturals inspire quite the same kind of inside baseball activities that you see in pro sports.

That said, rest assured that Tony and Linda (Shea’s sth’s since 1992) write lengthy emails to Shea’s president about restoration projects, shows that get booked (and not booked), the choice of junior development officers, and such. And then they kibitz about those same things at the Friday fish fry with Ed and Rene.

Pops? Just a dash of ageism. Nice. We're probably the same age.

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I suppose if you were to ask any of the people who spend a large portion of their lives examining the pay of CEO's and debating their relative worth you might find a group that does care. They might even relate it to how horrible Pringle's are and discuss that the CEO is clearly not worth the pay. But this isn't a Pringles board, it's a hockey forum.  So on here, people do look at the analytics of hockey operations. They look at the money being spent and want to theorize about how to best construct a roster.

They enjoy what they enjoy while you enjoy what you enjoy.

I enjoy the deft touch of a camera operator near miraculously tightening his or her shot on an oscillating puck.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:00 PM, Brawndo said:

Cap Friendly purchased by Washington Capitals; Will cease to function after UFA in July

What's in it for the Caps?  What benefit do they derive from this?  I don't get it.

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Pops? Just a dash of ageism. Nice. We're probably the same age.

I’m definitely of a “Pops” age. 🤝 Although I don’t yell at clouds (or purport to tell people how to enjoy sports) quite as often as some.

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Too bad some of you weren't smart enough and motivated enough to get jobs in hockey management.

Watch the movie and shut up about where AMC sources its popcorn "butter."

Stop yucking people’s yum … Pops.

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

What's in it for the Caps?  What benefit do they derive from this?  I don't get it.

Their benefit, presumably, is depriving other teams access to this commonly used resource.  Other teams had deals w/ capfriendly to use their tools. 

Just now, Doohickie said:

Makes no sense.

Agreed, it's kind of silly.  Clearly, they think they are getting some sort of advantage in making this exclusive to themselves.  There may also be plans to develop further tools and/or add ons to the original software that they don't want other teams to have access to.  Or maybe even integrate capfriendly with other forms of analysis.  If thats the case (improving capfriendly with additional features), if capfriendly was public, they would turn around and sell these tools to the other teams.   

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The league USED to publish that data.  Not sure when that started, but it was still getting published daily by the NHL through the '05-'06 season.  Not sure exactly when that stopped; pretty sure it was during that next year.  (But personally wasn't saving that data daily anymore, which is why the uncertainty about when that practice stopped.)

But always suspected they stopped doing that because sites like NHLNumbers (since bought by PuckPedia) and CapFriendly (now soon to be CapsFriendly and private) paid for that information (or they got it from other organizations that paid for it) and the league would rather make money off it than not.  And a big part of those other groups paying for that data was the semi-exclusivity of receiving it.

Was tracking the Sabres daily cap hit back in '05-'06 on an Excel spreadsheet, but life got too busy to keep it up.  And pretty soon after that, the data wasn't available from the NHL directly anymore.

51 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He's not wrong.

There's doubling down. There's tripling down. And then there's lining up to stand shoulder to shoulder with Gary Bettman.

It's a small and weird subset of people.

Several hundred thousand - possibly a million? - fans of a somewhat niche sport. But okay.

That is not the way that I want Most people want to enjoy the game.

ftfy.

What right does anyone have to Brad Marchand's salary figures?

Because he works for a public trust. Duh.

A recent president of Shea's - the one before Brian Higgins - earned total annual comp of $375K, btw.

Edited by That Aud Smell

17 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

There's doubling down. There's tripling down. And then there's lining up to stand shoulder to shoulder with Gary Bettman.

Several hundred thousand - possibly a million? - fans of a somewhat niche sport. But okay.

ftfy.

Because he works for a public trust. Duh.

A recent president of Shea's - the one before Brian Higgins - earned total annual comp of $375K, btw.

Bettman never did anything to me or the Sabres, so I have no reflexive aversion to the man.

Also... He was Shea's Sheriff?

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Also... He was Shea's Sheriff?

Lol. Not Bettman. I mean that guy who caused all that controversy (because he was apparently a huge a**hole to staff and volunteers), divided the board, and even prompted M&T to withdraw its support of the theater (because the board chair (John Dandes) chose to keep the president in place after an internal investigation was completed). It's ironic that I recall all these circumstances, but don't have the foggiest idea what the guy's name is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.