2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I disagree that he wouldn't have made it to the NHL without being associated with Eichel. If that is the case, then why has he been able to earn roster spots on multiple teams? I'm not saying that he is an elite player because he is not close to being that. He is a lower line player who can score at a reasonable level. If someone wants to label him as a pedestrian player, I'm not going to quibble. But it can't be argued that he is not worthy of being an NHL player. If that was the case he would not be able to hang on for so long in this league. 

Take a look at his path to the point of playing with Eichel.  What at all stands out in it indicating that an NHL team would be wanting to take a flyer on an undersized kid?  He didn't have a strong pedigree and in his Junior year he took a huge step back.  Without being associated with Eichel he likely ends up having a path to the NHL at best similar to that of Brian Rafalski (who played a different position but was also undersized and also was a much better hockey player than E-Rod) who still took 4 years playing abroad (after even having gotten to play for Team USA at the World Championships at the end of his college career) and being elite in the leagues he was playing in to get a shot at the NHL.

Am extremely happy for Rodrigues; love it when the little guys actually make it.  But if Eichel isn't his center his senior year, the Sabres aren't likely interested in him and absolutely NOBODY was interested in him prior to that.  You seem to be viewing his making it from the perspective of hindsight.  But when you look at where he was at, at that time, without Eichel there he has much poorer numbers his senior year and either has to work his way up from the ECHL for an opportunity or has to play in Europe for a while and hope to get noticed.  Was the dream of playing in the NHL big enough for him to have put in the necessary work at that point AND get the break of having a pro scout actually notice him and give him an opportunity before he decided to walk away from it?

There's a reason very few Tim Thomases or Brian Rafalskis actually make it to the NHL.  Every year you go outside the NHL is one more year an NHL club will be willing to take a chance on a potentially more talented kid because you've already "shown" you're not good enough.  How did you show you aren't?  By not being there.  Chicken and egg.  And without having played that 1 year with Eichel, THAT is the path he almost definitely would have had to follow to make it.

Rodrigues got lucky.  But he was prepared to actually capitalize on that break he got.  Good for him.

But there are a LOT of players that are good enough to be NHLers that don't ever get that opportunity.  Because there are way more tweeners out there than there are jobs for them.  There likely aren't 32 true 1C's in the NHL.  There definitely aren't 32 1G's out there.  But there are waaaaaaay more than just 256 guys that are good enough to be 4th line W's in the NHL out there.  Even counting for injuries and callups, only about 500 guys get that shot any given year, but there's probably at least 1,000 that could be some team's JAG.  (And a handful of those guys could be a lot more than JAG, but they never get the opportunity to show that.)  A lot of guys never get that opportunity to capitalize upon; or if they get the opportunity it came at the wrong time (for whatever reason) for them to put their best foot forward and force the team that gave them the chance to keep them on the roster.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

No,  maybe to you that he couldn't make the NHL without Eichel.

He was obviously an NHL caliber player,  even if you didn't see it. 

I’ll re-phrase it: he doesn’t make it to the nhl that early without Eichel.

Eichel allowed him to be noticed and get a break. Once he got that break he has probably worked his butt off to keep his spot on teams and to improve his skills to remain an NHLer.

Never was a fan of his but he’s done well for himself with what he’s got.

It must be summer if we are giving this topic so much “ink”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

I get that.  But do you think he made the roster because of Eichel or was just considered as a FA signing?

He was not considered much of an NHL prospect prior to his signing.  If he was, he'd have been drafted.  That's my entire point.  I'm not saying he didn't earn his way onto the roster.  (But back in those days, making the Sabres roster wasn't saying much, after the cupboard had been wiped clean.)

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

With Barkov "questionable" the s#it would be hitting the fan right now if it was anybody but Draisaitl (or McDavid) that gave that headshot. Imagine what people would be saying if Bennett had done it to McJesus. 

Personally am extremely disappointed in the league for not giving Draisatl a 1 game suspension.  He left his feet, his elbow into Barkov's mug was the initial point of contact, and the hit was pretty much unnecessary.  They CLAIM to make removing head shots a priority.  But then they don't make it one.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

With Barkov "questionable" the s#it would be hitting the fan right now if it was anybody but Draisaitl (or McDavid) that gave that headshot. Imagine what people would be saying if Bennett had done it to McJesus. 

100%.   Dirty hit by a frustrated player , who couldn't deal with the fact that Barkov was shutting down both him and  McDavid.   
If I'm Florida , I'm running McDavid a few times.  Make sure they know that targeting the Panthers stars will not be tolerated 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

100%.   Dirty hit by a frustrated player , who couldn't deal with the fact that Barkov was shutting down both him and  McDavid.   
If I'm Florida , I'm running McDavid a few times.  Make sure they know that targeting the Panthers stars will not be tolerated 

It will be interesting to see if they sit Okposo next game and dress Lomberg and/or Cousins. Florida is smart and disciplined though. They won't just go after him unless the game allows it. If it's a close game in Edmonton or they are ahead Florida will just stay the course. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

It would most likely be nhl career paycheck suicide for any panther to go after McDavid in a finals series. McDavid is cha-ching for the leagues viewing revenue, the entire Panthers roster....not so much.

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

So, both teams are well past their primes?

Not seeing it.

It's more the vibe, not the actual people pictured? Still not sure I see it. A funny photo, though, for sure.

I took it more as "talent versus grit."

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

So, both teams are well past their primes?

Not seeing it.

46 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's more the vibe, not the actual people pictured? Still not sure I see it. A funny photo, though, for sure.

mud GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

E-Rod "hating to lose"

https://www.nhl.com/news/evan-rodrigues-lessons-from-past-teammates-paying-off-for-florida-panthers

That's the Shorsey refrain I was talking about earlier this year. Too many Sabres players and the general Sabres vibe under Granato was happy to win, but not enough of them hated to lose. Hopefully this changes under Ruff. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

E-Rod "hating to lose"

https://www.nhl.com/news/evan-rodrigues-lessons-from-past-teammates-paying-off-for-florida-panthers

That's the Shorsey refrain I was talking about earlier this year. Too many Sabres players and the general Sabres vibe under Granato was happy to win, but not enough of them hated to lose. Hopefully this changes under Ruff. 

I struggle to play games with family members, because I hate to lose. It drives my wife nuts that I have to grind out every point even when I am up by a lot.

Not saying I am an elite athlete, but I think I know the feeling.

I lived and breathed golf for nearly 20 years and got quite good at it through constant practice and a desire to keep improving. I loved practicing more than playing because of the tiny improvements from a practice session and the fact that you couldn’t lose during practice. Nowawadays, I almost don’t like to play because I don’t practice and my game has declined. I can’t compete so therefore I don’t enjoy the game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/11/2024 at 3:26 PM, Taro T said:

Personally am extremely disappointed in the league for not giving Draisatl a 1 game suspension.  He left his feet, his elbow into Barkov's mug was the initial point of contact, and the hit was pretty much unnecessary.  They CLAIM to make removing head shots a priority.  But then they don't make it one.

Agree Taro.   This is an opportunity for the NHL to police the game and suspend a superstar for a game.  I keep seeing on TV News that no one is above the law, I guess they still are in the NHL.  

Now, if Florida decides to police this themselves it could get a bit crazy out there.   Florida has some muscle of their own.  

• Like (+1) 1