2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

53 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I can't,  but I do remember so many experts here claiming the only reason we signed him was because he was Eichels friend. 

He doesn’t make it to the NHL without Eichel. That one season at BU he matched the other three years combined. I was still a season ticket holder at that point. Nothing about him stood out during those three years. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

He doesn’t make it to the NHL without Eichel. That one season at BU he matched the other three years combined. I was still a season ticket holder at that point. Nothing about him stood out during those three years. 

Maybe to you. 

I am seeing something about Florida that I started to play attention to a few years ago on various teams (and have brought this up a few times in the past on this board) that gives me a lot of hope for the Sabres.  They have what quite a few (most, NOT all, but MOST) of the top teams have had in the past decade or so that is under-rated by many.  A very talented D-corp that is almost ALL in their 'peak' age. (late 20's, very early 30's).

Many of the top teams in the past few years had this in common.  Guys on the back end (MOST of them) who have at least 6-7 years of experience, but haven't hit that 'over the hill/too old to keep up with the game' wall yet.  There seems to be something about defensemen more than forwards, you really need that 500-800 games of experience for many to truly become great in your own end. Its like repetition after rep, hundreds and hundreds of times finally makes your decisions back there automatic.  Florida truly looks like that when you watch all 3 of their pairings back there.

Buffalo, on paper, may have the most talented D-men that we have seen in a while across the entire league, but they are still lacking in age/experience.  If they don't blow the back end up and keep that talent together, it might be the glue for a great team once these guys (as a group) get 2-3 more years of experience.

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He was another of the players that did not react well to Krueger's coaching.

By the end of Housley's last year, he was (by default pretty much) their #2 C.  That did not carry over into Ralph's 1st year.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I don’t love you at all, why the “too”? I think you are scum 

11 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’m usually better when scumbags don’t respond to my posts 

So you can make me happy, just don’t ever bother me again 

mcjuggernuggets-chillout.gif

9 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

They need to get rid of Nurse and that huge contract. They need another defenseman plus Skinner isn’t that good.

That's not at all what I meant. They were a mess on the bench: the Panthers are in their heads along with the pressure of the situation, they were all going mental at the end of the game.

11 hours ago, ... said:

Evan Rodriguez - playoff hero. Who here can pull up a post of theirs from back in the day predicting that?

Wait, 5'11 175-pound players can't play in the play0ffs.

It's a well-known fact around here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

No,  maybe to you that he couldn't make the NHL without Eichel.

He was obviously an NHL caliber player,  even if you didn't see it. 

Without playing on Eichel's line his senior year, his numbers don't end up standing out to the point he gets an NHL contract offer.  At his size and pedigree, he wasn't getting an NHL deal from anybody without that season.  He wasn't drafted and through 3 years of NCAA hockey, he hadn't done anything that screamed future NHLer.

And at his size and skill level, would he have had the determination to work his way up from the ECHL onto an AHL deal and eventually force a team to take a chance on him at the NHL level or would he have decided that a better use of his time at BU would be to put his degree to use before potential employers decided he was too long past it to give him a break in another field as well; had Eichel chosen BC rather than BU to call home while waiting to get drafted?

There are a LOT of guys with Rodrigues metrics that could be able to play at the NHL level that never get the opportunity.  There's way more tweeners than there are jobs available for them in the NHL.  But with Eichel showing up, he got an opportunity to showcase himself, and he took full advantage of it.  Playing on a bad Sabres team, he got an opportunity to get a shot at a position he hadn't played in college and made the best of it.  Good for him.  And truly am happy he's getting a moment in the sun, so to speak.  But without the luck of being Eichel's linemate that 1 season, he very likely never does get the opportunity he has now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, ... said:

That's not at all what I meant. They were a mess on the bench: the Panthers are in their heads along with the pressure of the situation, they were all going mental at the end of the game.

The Panthers game frustrates opponents, especially when they're leading.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

He's been in the NHL for 9 seasons. 

He's an NHL quality player.

That's obvious now.  My point was that 9 seasons ago many people thought any college production he had was due to Eichel and that he, himself, was not NHL caliber.  It wasn't obvious 9 years ago, as evidenced by the fact that he went undrafted.

24 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's obvious now.  My point was that 9 seasons ago many people thought any college production he had was due to Eichel and that he, himself, was not NHL caliber.  It wasn't obvious 9 years ago, as evidenced by the fact that he went undrafted.

I get that.  But do you think he made the roster because of Eichel or was just considered as a FA signing?

13 hours ago, shrader said:

I disagree that he wouldn't have made it to the NHL without being associated with Eichel. If that is the case, then why has he been able to earn roster spots on multiple teams? I'm not saying that he is an elite player because he is not close to being that. He is a lower line player who can score at a reasonable level. If someone wants to label him as a pedestrian player, I'm not going to quibble. But it can't be argued that he is not worthy of being an NHL player. If that was the case he would not be able to hang on for so long in this league.