2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

Incredible pace to that game. Florida as relentless as they've been all playoffs. If Bobrovsky keeps playing like that this is already over. 

I laughed out loud when the announcer said Kyle was "a late addition from the Isalnders"   Time in Buffalo just a bad dream, already forgotten. 🙂

E-Rod playing like the 3C we need. Go figure. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Incredible pace to that game. Florida as relentless as they've been all playoffs. If Bobrovsky keeps playing like that this is already over. 

I laughed out loud when the announcer said Kyle was "a late addition from the Isalnders"   Time in Buffalo just a bad dream, already forgotten. 🙂

E-Rod playing like the 3C we need. Go figure. 

And our fans will learn a painful lesson about squandering usefull playe...

Nope, they'll continue to do things like demand Peyton Krebs be traded for a 5th round pick (even funnier/sadder given people wishing to acquire Sam Bennett).

• Like (+1) 1

The next game may be a coaches' dual. What adjustments do the Oilers make? The Panthers' defensive structure works just well enough to compliment Bob's strengths as a goalie. And Bob's strengths as a goalie are suited for the kind of game the Oilers brought when the aforementioned defense is applied.

The Panthers are masters at taking advantage of mistakes. They can roll more lines than the Oilers and all are effective in their own ways.

The adjustment options, as I see them, are:

1. Play the same game but with more intensity.

2. Crash the net.

3. Mix up the lines.

What would I choose? I'd blend options 1 and 3, hoping that option 3 begets option 1.

Option 2 is the worst because every Panther line can handle that kind of play and can also, again, take advantage when the Oilers are bound up at the Panthers' net.

What do I think the Oilers choose to do? My guess is option 1, blaming tonight on puck-luck and other intangibles, plus I can see the hubris of the team leadership thinking the rest of the team has "more" in them.

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Nope, they'll continue to do things like demand Peyton Krebs be traded for a 5th round pick (even funnier/sadder given people wishing to acquire Sam Bennett).

jesus GIF

Edited by ...
h is for "hockey"

Is EDM really better than FLA? Last night, they looked it. I don't expect that to continue, but yeahhhh, losing after that performance doesn't bode well. It was a fun game to watch as a fan. 

It helps that I don't have a major rooting interest. I'm leaning Florida, but wouldn't mind seeing McDavid raising the cup. 

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

I've never seen anyone demand we trade Krebs for a 5th but at some point Buffalo can't wait 6yrs in the nhl to develop ppl.

Buffalo needs to find teams shedding a Rodriguez or a Reinhart that's already done the development instead of being the feeder team. I'd also challenge you to tell us which of Benson, Quinn, JJP, Tuch, Tage, Skinner, Cozens has Krebs been better than?

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Cats snuck one out. If that’s the worst they play, which I suspect, this might not go past 5. 

Winning 3-0 and saying they snuck one out. Yea Panthers in 4, even at their worst they win easily.

Edmonton forgot you need to score goals to win and decided to just play well on the ice between the goals.

Edited by Demoted

Booby is gonna get the Conn.

He played so well and his guys did enough when they had their chances.

I still say this series will go 6.

Florida is what I want the Sabres to be.  All rounnd very talented team that plays hard and knows what it takes to win in the playoff.  With a stone cold goaler.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo needs to find teams shedding a Rodriguez or a Reinhart

Buffalo is the team that sends those players to other teams not the other way around. Sabres are a farm team for other NHL teams.

Edited by Demoted
  • Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Florida is what I want the Sabres to be.  All round very talented team that plays hard and knows what it takes to win in the playoff.  With a stone cold goaler.

It would be difficult I think for us to emulate either of the current cup final teams.  We just don't have the high-end forward talent (there is no emerging McDavid, Draisaitl, Barkov or Tkachuk here).  We are perhaps close to a different team that just lost though, Dallas.  We have a Heiskanen (maybe a couple in Dahlin and Power).  We might have an Oettinger (UPL, maybe Levi). We have several candidates to be Robertson (Quinn, Peterka...).  I think we have a Hintz (Cozens).  We have a Stankoven (actually, a better Stankoven in Benson). Not quite the same, but we have some vets who can play high end roles like Seguin, Duschene and Pavelski did for Dallas (Thompson, Tuch, maybe Skinner still).  We have a Lindell (Samuelsson).  We need a Marchment, a Faksa, a Dadonov, a Tanev.  Oh, and a Wyatt Johnston would be nice (maybe we get that kind of boost from the big trade everyone is hoping for, not someone as young as Johnston but perhaps as impactful over a 3-4 year period).  If well managed, this is quite doable I think.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Florida is what I want the Sabres to be.  All rounnd very talented team that plays hard and knows what it takes to win in the playoff.  With a stone cold goaler.

Can't argue with any of this. Unless FL falls apart, highly unlikely, Bobo wins Conn Smythe. I said before, FL is the model I chase. No weakness, team game. toughness, grit, outstanding in net, opportunistic scoring. Mirror that.

I had FL in 7.  I suspect they'll make some adjustments to quell EDM from getting behind the D. They do that, it could be done in 5.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Demoted said:

Winning 3-0 and saying they snuck one out. Yea Panthers in 4, even at their worst they win easily.

Edmonton forgot you need to score goals to win and decided to just play well on the ice between the goals.

This was the quintessential example of a goalie "stealing one".

EDM didn't do anything wrong. They were flat out stone walled.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

It would be difficult I think for us to emulate either of the current cup final teams.  We just don't have the high-end forward talent (there is no emerging McDavid, Draisaitl, Barkov or Tkachuk here).  We are perhaps close to a different team that just lost though, Dallas.  We have a Heiskanen (maybe a couple in Dahlin and Power).  We might have an Oettinger (UPL, maybe Levi). We have several candidates to be Robertson (Quinn, Peterka...).  I think we have a Hintz (Cozens).  We have a Stankoven (actually, a better Stankoven in Benson). Not quite the same, but we have some vets who can play high end roles like Seguin, Duschene and Pavelski did for Dallas (Thompson, Tuch, maybe Skinner still).  We have a Lindell (Samuelsson).  We need a Marchment, a Faksa, a Dadonov, a Tanev.  Oh, and a Wyatt Johnston would be nice (maybe we get that kind of boost from the big trade everyone is hoping for, not someone as young as Johnston but perhaps as impactful over a 3-4 year period).  If well managed, this is quite doable I think.

McD and Draisaitl are obviously  high end sports cars. They can't break through alone. Yes, Hyman and Bouchard are great and who wouldn't want them. 

Give FL roster all day. 

Edited by stinky finger