2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Some would say Eichel is the team's best ever first overall pick. I disagree with that proposition, however.

I see your disagreement @Thorny

True or false: Eichel has a Cup whilst Perreault does not. Let’s be real when talking about 1st overall picks for the Sabres.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I see your disagreement @Thorny

True or false: Eichel has a Cup whilst Perreault does not. Let’s be real when talking about 1st overall picks for the Sabres.

Then not sure why Eichel's name comes up.  He was a 2nd overall pick (as was Reinhart).

Sabres only have 4 1st overalls in their history: Perreault, Turgeon, Dahlin, & Power.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Agree to disagree on this one. Me? I'm #TeamSamuelReinnhardt

Besides. How many Cups has Perreault won?

Also, I'm pretty sure that Perreault was the 11th overall pick -- that's why he wore the number throughout his career.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Then not sure why Eichel's name comes up.  He was a 2nd overall pick (as was Reinhart).

Sabres only have 4 1st overalls in their history: Perreault, Turgeon, Dahlin, & Power.

Y'all are easy pickens. I can do this all day!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Are you really going to Baby the players? 

Might as well.  The fans need to be babied as well.

10 hours ago, #freejame said:

Im fully willing to admit Im not happy Okposo won a cup. He is symbolic of everything that’s been wrong with this franchise. From his bust of a big money contract to his inability to contribute when we needed him most. Great that Florida needed a guy on their team to give big speeches. The Sabres needed a skilled hockey player. 

Perhaps they needed both?

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Second-most watched NHL game ever. 👀

Apparently that was double the NBA finals rating 

So, maybe the scheduling geniuses in the NHL will get it through their heads that a lot of people want to see STAR PLAYERS, not just teams from big markets.  Get McDavid (and all the other stars from out west) to have their games that start at 7 or 7:30 (east coast road games) on national TV as much as possible next year. More Edmonton and Colorado. Less Philly.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Draisaitl broken fingers and ribs. Mcdavid torn abdominal which requires surgery.  Warriors. 

In no way am I saying you do not want McDavid or Draisatil on your team, of course they are great players and you would be lucky to have them.

BUT....this might be just one example of a team with overall depth being a bit better in some ways....those 'superstars' are going to be targets, and IF they get injured, there is less behind them to pick up the slack.  In the playoffs when you are playing a team with superstar(s), it just goes to show it might be more important than every just to hammer them over and over and over and over.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Draisaitl broken fingers and ribs. Mcdavid torn abdominal which requires surgery.  Warriors. 

That explains Draisaitl, ribs are essential   McDavids numbers are even more impressive given the injury. 

Yes, warriors. They play with much pain at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

In no way am I saying you do not want McDavid or Draisatil on your team, of course they are great players and you would be luck to have them. BUT....this might be just one example of a team with overall depth being a bit better in some ways....those 'superstars' are going to be targets, and IF they get injured, there is less behind them to pick up the slack.  In the playoffs when you are playing a team with superstar(s), it just goes to show it might be more important than every just to hammer them over and over and over and over.

You make a great point.  No way to move on from a dynamic player like these guys.  But there’s risk in so many eggs in only a couple baskets. 

14 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Agree to disagree on this one. Me? I'm #TeamSamuelReinnhardt

Besides. How many Cups has Perreault won?

Also, I'm pretty sure that Perreault was the 11th overall pick -- that's why he wore the number throughout his career.

omg this is a joke right?

Is Sabres history that forgotten that you don't even know about winning the spin of the wheel? 

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

A neutral moment 

The voting by Jim Matheson. Lol. That’s some real homerism right there. 3 Oilers. 

I think a case could be made for Barkov, McDavid, or Bob. Barkov shut McDavid down in the first two games. And McDavid was ineffectual in game 7.  And Bob had 4 great games, not 3 like McDavid (really, 2). He gave up 5 goals in the 4 wins. Of course, Barkov was a big part of that. As well as the rest of the Panthers team defense. I’d have voted for one of the Panthers. It was a strange series. One of crazy streaks. Which makes MVP voting difficult. Based on which set of games? 

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

The voting by Jim Matheson. Lol. That’s some real homerism right there. 3 Oilers. 

I think a case could be made for Barkov, McDavid, or Bob. Barkov shut McDavid down in the first two games. And McDavid was ineffectual in game 7.  And Bob had 4 great games, not 3 like McDavid (really, 2). He gave up 5 goals in the 4 wins. Of course, Barkov was a big part of that. As well as the rest of the Panthers team defense. I’d have voted for one of the Panthers. It was a strange series. One of crazy streaks. Which makes MVP voting difficult. Based on which set of games? 

The problem really is the Con Smythe is for best player in the entire playoffs, not just the final. It's hard to measure what Barkov or Bobrovsky did to Boston against what McDavid did to LA or Vancouver so ultimately it almost always comes down to a big goal scorer or a goalie who stole the series. Florida didn't have a point getter that was comparable so McDavid gets his name on the whatever trophy. 

I remember watching the Oilers in the conference finals and realizing: McDavid can’t shoot. There’s something wrong with him. It also seemed like his backhand shot was still available to him. But anything on his forehand was limited.

The fact that they were both seriously injured makes a world of sense.

Draisaitl’s struggles were less obvious to my eye — although his inability to connect on one-timers in Game 7 was clear.

37 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I remember watching the Oilers in the conference finals and realizing: McDavid can’t shoot. There’s something wrong with him. It also seemed like his backhand shot was still available to him. But anything on his forehand was limited.

The fact that they were both seriously injured makes a world of sense.

Draisaitl’s struggles were less obvious to my eye — although his inability to connect on one-timers in Game 7 was clear.

I recall seeing something similar but couldn't decide if it was due to injury or general playoff hockey tightness. Now we know why one of the most dynamic players I have ever seen, looked less so.

Draisatil I knew had some sort of injury because he fell off a cliff during the Conference Finals against Dallas. Guy has historically played nothing short of godly in the playoffs suddenly looks bleh; I highly doubt its that Draisatil sucks now... (looking at you random Twitter people)

His finger injury also reminds me of Thompson's struggles this year and how much the hands matter to a shooter; while obvious it would effect it to some degree, it can practically neuter a player. Not to mention Draisatil grit through a high-ankle sprain the one playoff and still had an impact which shows it wasn't some sort of lacking of pain tolerance or willpower. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

You know you would take crosby over McDavid in game 7 you can't lie 

We still haven’t seen a healthy McDavid in the finals. He has an abdominal injury that likely require surgery. And it really seems like you’re exaggerating Crosby’s finals performances. In 25 finals games, Crosby has 20 points, with his best being 7 points in one finals. McDavid had 11 points in 7 games. Crosby was held scoreless in 2 finals clinching games, and hasn’t scored a goal in a final clinching game. Crosby is a career +4 in the finals. McDavid was a +5 in this series. If he’s healthy, I take McDavid with little doubt in my mind. 

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

We still haven’t seen a healthy McDavid in the finals. He has an abdominal injury that likely require surgery. And it really seems like you’re exaggerating Crosby’s finals performances. In 25 finals games, Crosby has 20 points, with his best being 7 points in one finals. McDavid had 11 points in 7 games. Crosby was held scoreless in 2 finals clinching games, and hasn’t scored a goal in a final clinching game. Crosby is a career +4 in the finals. McDavid was a +5 in this series. If he’s healthy, I take McDavid with little doubt in my mind. 

You take crosby over mcdavid  ? Really crosby always comes in the clutch no matter what he has an aura around him at all times he's like tom brady .

McDavid is Andrew luck right now 

• Haha (+1) 1