2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The entire Oilers team was completely gassed for the last two minutes of the game.  Knoblach probably overplayed his top players in the 3rd period, they pulled their goalie too late, and they had nothing left for a final push.  

They had a chance to call a timeout with ~35 seconds left. Not in an ideal situation -- coming from an offside they committed. But I still wonder why they didn't.

• Agree 1

Florida's team defense was something to behold. There were several times during the game where Edmonton was dominating play -- and I'd look up at the SOG and Edmonton was stuck on 12 or whatever they had for half of the second period. The Oilers were flying around, looking dangerous, but how many pucks did Bob actually have to stop? Not that many, it turns out.

Also, I'm sure it was mentioned upthread, but the GWG was a leaky bit of business. Nice work by Samuel Reinnhardt, though, for sure.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Florida's team defense was something to behold. There were several times during the game where Edmonton was dominating play -- and I'd look up at the SOG and Edmonton was stuck on 12 or whatever they had for half of the second period. The Oilers were flying around, looking dangerous, but how many pucks did Bob actually have to stop? Not that many, it turns out.

Also, I'm sure it was mentioned upthread, but the GWG was a leaky bit of business. Nice work by Samuel Reinnhardt, though, for sure.

Who? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Samuel Reinnhardt - the Sabres' best first overall pick in franchise history.

Some would say Eichel is the team's best ever first overall pick. I disagree with that proposition, however.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Who? We've never drafted a player by that name.

Samuel Reinnhardt was kind enough to take a picture with my youngest when we bumped into him at the Fuddruckers on Maple Road. I know of whom I speak. Best 1st overall pick the Sabres ever had.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

First he was a 2nd overall pick 

Second 

Gilbert Perreault was the best in franchise history 

Agree to disagree on this one. Me? I'm #TeamSamuelReinnhardt

Besides. How many Cups has Perreault won?

Also, I'm pretty sure that Perreault was the 11th overall pick -- that's why he wore the number throughout his career.

• Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Agree to disagree on this one. Me? I'm #TeamSamuelReinnhardt

Besides. How many Cups has Perreault won?

Also, I'm pretty sure that Perreault was the 11th overall pick -- that's why he wore the number throughout his career.

man-in-suit-head-scratch-d1fi3q8yncyhmoo

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

First he was a 2nd overall pick 

Second 

Gilbert Perreault was the best in franchise history 

Wait…. I thought Stanley Cups matter.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Some would say Eichel is the team's best ever first overall pick. I disagree with that proposition, however.

I am sorry I recommended Sven for your medication management needs. But how bout that taut Swedish torso?!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Whoever those “some” are need to acquaint themselves with number 11. End. Of. Story. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I have to give ABC credit.  They stuck with the cup celebration for an incredibly long time.  They did have the occasional stupid moment where they would show an interview instead of the next guy with the cup, but that was pretty minimal.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Whoever those “some” are need to acquaint themselves with number 11. End. Of. Story. 

I agree with you.  Perreault was that good.

I also think people tend to forget about Pierre Turgeon. 19 Seasons (only 4 with Buffalo). Over 500 goals. 1300+ points.  A 58 goal, 132 point season where he won the Lady Byng and I think was in the top 3 or 5 for the Hart trophy. 15 seasons making the playoffs, over 100 playoff points. He had 30 goal seasons in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.

The fact he was only in Buffalo for 4 seasons and split his career across 6 different teams takes a bit away from what most people think about him, but he was really good. Not Perreault good, but much better than people seem to remember.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Well, this should sum up the MVP argument.  16 of 17 first place votes for McDavid means lots of people saw the same thing.  McDavid is special, even if he didn't score in the last 2 games, he was a force the entire playoff.  I can understand the argument for picking a  player on the winning team since it is extremely rare to see this result, but every season is different. 

Reflecting back on it and listening to their coach talk about it, Florida must really have some great internal leadership that extends beyond who wears the C and the A's.   

Did you see that one guy used his 3 votes for McDavid/Hyman/Bouchard?  That guy shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with you.  Perreault was that good.

I also think people tend to forget about Pierre Turgeon. 19 Seasons (only 4 with Buffalo). Over 500 goals. 1300+ points.  A 58 goal, 132 point season where he won the Lady Byng and I think was in the top 3 or 5 for the Hart trophy. 15 seasons making the playoffs, over 100 playoff points. He had 30 goal seasons in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.

The fact he was only in Buffalo for 4 seasons and split his career across 6 different teams takes a bit away from what most people think about him, but he was really good. Not Perreault good, but much better than people seem to remember.

They had good teams with Turgeon but they never won a playoff series in his time in Buffalo.  He was traded for LaFontaine, a player with both high skills,  leadership, and grit.  

I saw Turgeon in St Louis when he was making his post HoF induction rounds.  He played 5 seasons there and they gave him a nice tribute but he is kind of a man without a team. 

Buffalo 4 years

Isles 4 years

Canadians 3 years

Blues  5 years 

Stars  3 years 

Avs  2 years

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Dude just won the Conn Smythe and you claimed he was only good in the regular season... troll on broseph, troll. on.

But didn't do anything in the most important game ever .

Prime crosby would have showed out that game 

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

They had a chance to call a timeout with ~35 seconds left. Not in an ideal situation -- coming from an offside they committed. But I still wonder why they didn't.

Umm, wasn't the timeout with ~1:30 left taken by the Eulers?

Didn't understand taking the TO then because the refs had just let them waste about 1 minute getting their guys back out there.  Get that he wanted to draw a play up, but at that point the FO was at the BL & they WEREN'T (at least they didn't) taking Skinner off the ice AND they'd just had a pseudo-mini TO.  That absolutely didn't cost them the game, but just found it a strange circumstance to take the TO there.  Would've been much better off taking it at the next whistle; which turned out to be with ~35 seconds left - plenty of time for McDavid to work the puck to Draisalt so he could fan on yet another shot.  😉 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Eichel has won a Cup. So, he's obviously a better first overall selection than Perreault.

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Umm, wasn't the timeout with ~1:30 left taken by the Eulers?

Dang it! Was I scrolling on my phone? I missed it if they took a timeout before the last minute.

• Haha (+1) 1